Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dak's senior year

vCash

Dak's senior year

What would you like to see him improve on before usm?

I'd like to see him improve 2 things:

1. Deep ball accuracy. I think we could've scored many more points if dak was better with the deep ball. We need to keep safeties back next season so we can run even better.

2. Improve zone read. It seems dak really struggled late in the year with reads. He held way too much.

vCash
    I agree with those, and I'll add reading pass coverages. He seemed to really struggle with this towards the end of the season in particular, tending to stop after the first or second man in his progression and either force it there or take off. Any improvement in that area is just a cherry on top for us next season since it's hard to argue that he wasn't an effective enough passer as he was, but it's a must if he wants a shot in the NFL even next year.

vCash
    Gotta quicker and more confident with reads.

He was totally rattled in the Egg Bowl. Snap, step back, look, scramble. The OM DL was good, but they weren't in his face every play. He had options to throw the ball, but played rattled for all but a little bit after halftime.

vCash
    Our WR group for next year will certainly help him. This is going to be an outstanding group of WR's. Ross and Wilson will be able to do some damage- and also open the middle for Gray and Myles. I look for Ross to blow up because teams are going to have to help CB's with Wilson. Stonehands came on and played well- 5 was also decent. Those 2 as back-ups are extremely solid.

Our ur passing game should be outstanding in 2015
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Gotta quicker and more confident with reads.

He was totally rattled in the Egg Bowl. Snap, step back, look, scramble. The OM DL was good, but they weren't in his face every play. He had options to throw the ball, but played rattled for all but a little bit after halftime.
    I wonder if Dan hammered no int's into dak's head that week. Seems dak was way too cautious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Our WR group for next year will certainly help him. This is going to be an outstanding group of WR's. Ross and Wilson will be able to do some damage- and also open the middle for Gray and Myles. I look for Ross to blow up because teams are going to have to help CB's with Wilson. Stonehands came on and played well- 5 was also decent. Those 2 as back-ups are extremely solid.

Our ur passing game should be outstanding in 2015
    Yeah our first group of Wilson, Gray and Ross is probably the best trio we have ever had. The 2nd group of Morrow, Myles, and Brown is better than any trio we had under Croom.

vCash
    accuracy in general and better read progression

vCash
    The one thing I think Dak needs is touch on the ball. Too many times he's thrown a fastball to the receiver and the pass fall incomplete. There are many situations where a bit of loft (touch) can go a long way. It even allows you some wiggle room on a completion...and you can "throw" someone open. He does that, and with Bear's leaping ability, we'll have plenty of PI's and long completions next year.

So, yeah, touch and this year's WR corp = Nightmare for the Opposing Secondary.

vCash
    Dak's checklist

1. Learn to throw the deep ball high. It's not so much about accuracy as it is giving your receiver a chance to make a play on the ball.

2. He needs to spend a ton of time in the film room, learning to break down defenses in both the passing and running game. Dak's ability to put us in the correct running play could be huge.

3. Develop chemistry with both Gabe Myles, Graham, and Gray on over the middle passes. Teams will have to respect Bear, Ross, Morrow, and Brown next year on the outside. We should be able to destroy people in the middle, but there needs to be chemistry.

4. Develop a more "athletic" arm. If you watch Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, etc.. they have unique ability to throw from different angles, in order to avoid the pass rush and get off passes with defensive players in their faces. The also enables them to more effectively throw off balance. Basically, Dak currently throws a football like an outfielder throws a baseball. It's a very grooved arm stroke. Dak needs to learn to throw a shortstop. Shortstops can throws from different angles, off balance, on one leg, etc... and this enables them to get the throw off quickly and get the ball to the receiver with proper timing.

5. Finally, Dak is athletic, but not elusive. He needs to develop some serious moves in the pocket to avoid the pass rush and extend the play within the pocket

The good news is that Dak won't have many hours in grad school, and can probably spend all the time he wants in the film room this Spring and Summer

He simply needs to become more of PASSER and less of a THROWER
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 01-14-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Christ, Shotgun...enough gifs?
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Christ, Shotgun...enough gifs?
    Just added another

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What would you like to see him improve on before usm?

I'd like to see him improve 2 things:

1. Deep ball accuracy. I think we could've scored many more points if dak was better with the deep ball. We need to keep safeties back next season so we can run even better.

2. Improve zone read. It seems dak really struggled late in the year with reads. He held way too much.
    Im really glad he is coming back selfishly, as we all are.

I just hope we are able to help Dak improve his draft stock by showing off his arm more than his legs. I know that is probably not likely in Mullen's system, but I just hope we do. I feel like we owe it to Dak to not rush him 200+ times next year. Im not saying we don't run it, but I just hope we rely a little more on RB's legs and Dak's arms. With the weapons at WR it just makes sense and it also helps improve the draft stock of one of the greatest to ever wear the maroon & white.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Just added another
    Killing my bandwidth with these gifs, man....
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Lmao@ at Dan Mullen QB not running the football a lot. That is in no way, shape, or form going to change. That is the fundamental foundation of his offense
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Killing my bandwidth with these gifs, man....
    LOL

vCash
    I just hope he stays healthy. I mean, we had a Heisman contender this year....at QB. Can he improve on some things? Sure. But even if he doesn't (which isn't realistic), he's far and away the best we've ever had and among the best few in the country.

Needs to learn to throw at different angles? Yeah, maybe if we want him to become the best QB in football history by next year, he would need to add all these things, but good grief.

And he isn't elusive? LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I just hope he stays healthy. I mean, we had a Heisman contender this year....at QB. Can he improve on some things? Sure. But even if he doesn't (which isn't realistic), he's far and away the best we've ever had and among the best few in the country.

Needs to learn to throw at different angles? Yeah, maybe if we want him to become the best QB in football history by next year, he would need to add all these things, but good grief.

And he isn't elusive? LOL
    I didn't say he should/could improve all these things, I'm just saying it's a checklist. If he improves 1 or 2 of those things, it will make a drastic difference.

Dak is extremely athletic, but I don't see him as a very elusive target in the pocket. He could improve that by directing his athleticism towards quick moves like you see in the videos.

You are correct, if Dak improves on all this, he may be the best QB in history, but, IMO, that should be his goal. There is not reason to strive to be the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Dak is extremely athletic, but I don't see him as a very elusive target in the pocket. He could improve that by directing his athleticism towards quick moves like you see in the videos.
    Dak is one of the best at evading the rush and staying in the pocket that I've seen at the college level. I'm not sure what you're seeing here. He's certainly more elusive than Brady and Romo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Dak is one of the best at evading the rush and staying in the pocket that I've seen at the college level. I'm not sure what you're seeing here. He's certainly more elusive than Brady and Romo.
    We are seeing two different things then. Romo and Brady are two of the best that's ever lived in buying time and manipulating the pocket to get a pass off. To each his own though

Dak took a number of sacks this year where he was hit straight on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Im really glad he is coming back selfishly, as we all are.

I just hope we are able to help Dak improve his draft stock by showing off his arm more than his legs. I know that is probably not likely in Mullen's system, but I just hope we do. I feel like we owe it to Dak to not rush him 200+ times next year. Im not saying we don't run it, but I just hope we rely a little more on RB's legs and Dak's arms. With the weapons at WR it just makes sense and it also helps improve the draft stock of one of the greatest to ever wear the maroon & white.
    If we rely on Dak to be a pocket passer only (e.g., Tyler Russell) to improve his draft status, I don't think we'll win many games this year. I know it is necessary that he improve his passing accuracy for his NFL purposes, but we need for him to utilize his running ability to win.