Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you want O if it cost us Tony Hughes?

vCash

Would you want O if it cost us Tony Hughes?

I hear a lot of talk about being Ok with losing Turner if we gave O DL & RC, but nobody has said anything about whether or not we'd lose current RC Hughes. Given our strategy of "winning the state" in recruiting, I'm thinking Hughes may be more valuable to us than O in that regard.

Sure, O has a national reputation, but might that not just put us in the same boat TSUN has been in, taking more OOS recruits that have "issues" keeping them from the national bluebloods?

Would taking O as RC possibly cost us Hughes?

Would the above hurt us in-state to wipe out any advantage we might gain OOS?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Nope.

vCash
    I'm leaning towards no

vCash
    No. And the solution to that problem is pretty simple.

Tony Hughes - MS Recruiting Coordinator
    Ogre - OOS Recruiting Coordinator

Basically all of Tony Hughes' actual recruiting is done in MS as is. And with good reason. He was primary recruiter on every top target of ours in MS...
    Last edited by engie; 01-06-2015 at 11:57 AM.

vCash
    Nope

vCash
    No way

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    no

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Nope, Hughes is our glue in the state. He's ranked currently in the Top 20 in the nation among recruiters and is the 9th best in the SEC. Plus his JUCO connections are a major addition as well.

vCash
    Hell no! And it won't happen. Tony Hughes is part of this Bulldog family everyone has been talking about. So is Turner.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    plus Tony Hughes kind of seems like he's gonna be here forever.

Aren't these the type of people (Tony Hughes / Jay Hughes) we want to be the "Bulldog family"?

I'd love to have Orgeron, but he may be gone in yr 2. I feel like Tony Hughes, Jay Hughes will be around forever.

vCash
    Not no but hell no. Orgeron may be good, but doubt he'd stay more than a year or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post

Basically all of Tony Hughes' actual recruiting is done in MS as is. And with good reason. He was primary recruiter on every top target of ours in MS...
    That sounds like a winner. Why can't we do that? Question is-what would Orgeron's duties be besides recruiting. Maybe he could coach DE's and let Turner coach the DL. Don't know if we could split the duties up that way or not.

vCash
    I see the term elite recruiter attached to Orgeron a lot. What does being an elite recruiter mean exactly? Does it mean they get a lot more players interested in MSU that wouldn't be or does it mean they can close the deal better on guys we are battling big time schools with? Or does it mean they just know how to play the game better than others do? I loosely follow recruiting so I don't really know the ins and outs of it. I think it's obvious from Hughes's track record that we don't need to lose him though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post

^^^This all day long for eternity^^^

vCash
    Heck no! Even if we got O we all know it would likely be a short term gig.

vCash
    Nope...either way Hughes and Turner need to stay.

vCash
    No..if O took over for Hughes we'd never win an in state recruiting battle..I've got a few friends that are high school coaches. When O took over for kiffen...usc upset Stanford or Oregon....either way, I was sitting at the bar with my friend that's a high school coach...during the game he was telling me about a coaches clinic that he attended. He said that he was talking to other coaches about college recruiters and O's name came up..apparently he burned a lot of bridges when he left OM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabo32 View Post
    No..if O took over for Hughes we'd never win an in state recruiting battle..I've got a few friends that are high school coaches. When O took over for kiffen...usc upset Stanford or Oregon....either way, I was sitting at the bar with my friend that's a high school coach...during the game he was telling me about a coaches clinic that he attended. He said that he was talking to other coaches about college recruiters and O's name came up..apparently he burned a lot of bridges when he left OM.
    O hell no. Hughes is a priority must keeper.

Never underestimate the power of the Maroon and White Nation.

vCash
    So, it's seems unanimous so far that we couldn't & shouldn't offer O as THE recruiting coordinator, the position held by Hughes, a coach we all love & respect.

Now then, ask yourself the following:

Could we even get Coach O with anything less than the Recruiting Coordinator position?

Would we risk alienating Coach Hughes if we asked him to make room for Coach O? Would Hughes view a "sharing of the title" or a "Mississippi-only RC" as a step back in his career, perhaps opening the door for another school to have a shot at poaching him?

Personally, I'm thinking if we make a play for O, it needs to be as Co-DC, knowing we really want him to enhance our recruiting. Don't screw-the-pooch with Coach Hughes, keep him as RC, unless it's a role he himself would rather step back from and share official responsibility. If we can't keep Hughes happy and get Coach O, then forget about Coach O.

I also hope Coach Hughes is not getting lost-in-the-shuffle of our fans clamoring for O. I hope our staff and fans are giving him the respect & recognition he deserves so he doesn't feel disrespected by all the O talk.

vCash
    HELL NO!!!!
    cautiously optimistic