Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you Change about the offense

vCash
    two very simple things...

1) get a 2nd RB in the backfield on some plays.

2) Start rolling the pocket a lot more than we do now.

vCash
    We extended the field much better this year than in the past. I think we do even more next year. With more touch on the ball, we can really make the one on one match ups on the outside pay off. Second, the RB screen game was pretty much non-existent this year. We could have burned Bama on numerous occasions by slipping in a RB screen. I was actually thinking all year...we are saving the screen game for Bama...but it never materialized.

vCash
    Easy fix.....
    1A offense

And

1B offense

All problems solved*********

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    We extended the field much better this year than in the past. I think we do even more next year. With more touch on the ball, we can really make the one on one match ups on the outside pay off. Second, the RB screen game was pretty much non-existent this year. We could have burned Bama on numerous occasions by slipping in a RB screen. I was actually thinking all year...we are saving the screen game for Bama...but it never materialized.
    they need an improvised check down on the RB screen. Dak is great about improvising and running or finding an open guy down the field, but we can't check down to a RB with a blocking assignment to save our lives. I don't get that. We don't need called RB screens to run the RB screen... they just need to understand where he is and that it's a last resort check down if he's about to get sacked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We only need to change one thing in our offense- we need to add a thumper back there to block more for the TB and QB. Thats it. Let Shump be a combo blocker/runner. Get 20 carries out of Shump/Williams/Lee and 15 or so out of Dakota. But good grief, instead of just running the zoneread all the time and faking it to the RB- just simply send Shump in there to slam a LB and let Dakota follow him
    That's a Bingo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    That's a Bingo.
    you can do with this a single lead back going 4 wide too. Make them defend all four WRs one-on-one or with only 6 in the box. We tried to do it a lot Relf's SR season, but he couldn't complete a slant pattern consistently enough to make it work.

vCash
    Mine would be to keep Dak healthy. I still believe he was hurt worse in the Kentucky game than ever came out. He certainly wasn't the same runner.

Banned
    vCash
    Stop playing conservative slow football vs Bama and Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    1. Take the bubble off of Dak and let him be Dak. It's as if we told him to slide and not to scramble and pass after the Auburn game.
    I think this is the biggest thing going through Dak's mind about going pro. I don't think he wants to come back and rush it 200 times. With all the weapons we have at WR, I think we should sling it more than we have in the past, especially with an NFL caliber QB. Mariota rushed it for 125 times this season, Dak rushed it 210 times. We have to be more balanced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    1. Take the bubble off of Dak and let him be Dak. It's as if we told him to slide and not to scramble and pass after the Auburn game.

2. More power runs. And a power run is NOT running Dak into a brick wall. I'm talking pistol or under center, FB & HB dives, and more of the Relf down hill runs.

3. More option, and a better version. Our option play allowed the DE an easy hit on the QB, so it wasn't truly an option. We pitched it every time bc Dak had a guy in his face immediately.

4. More bubble screens. Myles was great on them early, but we abandoned it...and Myles for some reason. Ross is great on them too. Wear em out with screens and then go deep to Bear.

5. Teach Dak more touch on his deep ball. Can't rely on back shoulder bee bees every pass play. Take advantage of our size at WR by learning to throw a ball they can go up and get.

6. I Formation with a fullback

7. Diamond formation. Why aren't we using this?

8. No Holloway on KR. We need better offensive field position to start drives. Until Brandon learns to use his speed, bench him. Tip toeing to the 15 and getting smoked isn't a kick return.

9. Find a way to RTDB, and stick to it. Got to be more creative than the 3rd &6 QB draw into a brick wall. If we could run it with Relf when everyone knew we couldn't pass...there is no excuse not to be able to have a good run game when we have Dak and a threatening group of WR's.

10. Grow some stones in big games. Don't get all conservative and call scared when we play a big game like Bama, Dan. Dance with the one that brung you.
    Hear, Hear!! 10 rep points

ETA: find another Jameon who can actually catch the ball in the slot.. (Myles?)
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Mine would be to keep Dak healthy. I still believe he was hurt worse in the Kentucky game than ever came out. He certainly wasn't the same runner.
    Agree this this 100%. If we can split more reps with the young pups this year, we'll be in much better shape toward the end of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    A couple of things I've learned through 6 years of Dan Mullen...

1) If you haven't seen it in the first few games, you ain't gonna see it. Every year I say to myself, "we're saving _____".....WRONG. No we aren't.

2) Just go ahead and put the "screen game" out of your mind. Despite the fact that it can be wildly successful...we aren't going to run it, and we sure as hell aren't saving it for a big game.

3) Don't ever assume "we would never do this dumb shit against a good team". WRONG. We would, and we will.

That being said, I will gladly take another 8+ wins next year....even if I think we always leave a win or 2 on the board due to being a hard head.

vCash
    Insert the Dallas Cowboys O-line, particularly the left side***

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    1 far less pocket passing unless the d was giving us time.

2 roll out the gosh darned pocket.

3 read what the defense is giving you

4 i like fast. Hell yea. Go faster

5 junk the option? No. Use it. Make dak more like relf AFTER they think we are going to pass. But teach him to throw the ball quickly. That will widen the lb's and give him running room. Pass first doeant mean downfield. It just means spread the coverage. His size is the key along with his speed. Use atrain like we used perkins in 2010.
    Boom. Yep. Dak was excellent out of the pocket early in the season, then we quit rolling him out for whatever reason.