Thread: Geez, I go out of town for a few days.....

vCash

Geez, I go out of town for a few days.....

don't check the board, and come back to find out you bastards let the O deal fall apart. And worse, we're going to retread Manny Diaz.

Go ahead and rip me, but we had a chance to make a statement with this hire that we are serious about competing for championships at Mississippi State. Instead, we just made the statement that we're serious about continuing to be "Miss Stake." Diaz over O, Durkin, or Chizik is an awful decision. The guy got the spotlight and cracked at Texas. It won't be any better in the SEC.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    We are doomed to mediocrity forever, I've come to accept it.

vCash
    When did our fan base become just like the Rebs? We hired the best D Coordinator between him and O. Our fans thought it would make a bigger splash to hire O. **** a splash. Give me a coordinator.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg496 View Post
    We are doomed to mediocrity forever, I've come to accept it.
    We just went 10-2 and hired a guy who performed better at State than the guy that just left. Stop being stupid
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    When did our fan base become just like the Rebs? We hired the best D Coordinator between him and O. Our fans thought it would make a bigger splash to hire O. **** a splash. Give me a coordinator.
    If that's the logic for hiring Diaz over O, I can accept that. Don't like it, but it at least makes some level of sense. But we could've hired Durkin or Chizik, who are infinitely better DCs than Diaz AND would've made a splash. Instead, we chose to retread. That's the MSU we've seen forever. Hopefully it works out for us, but is it not understandable why so many of us are highly unenthused and underwhelmed by bring back Diaz? Especially given the candidates that were still available?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I understand where you are coming from but to be fair as far as Durkin I just don't think he was really in play once the Stanford DC turned Harbaugh down. Durkin has been linked to Michigan this whole time. Would have loved to have him and I think Dan would have as well. Just didn't align right for us. Now if he doesn't end up at Michigan or LSU then we can revisit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    don't check the board, and come back to find out you bastards let the O deal fall apart. And worse, we're going to retread Manny Diaz.

Go ahead and rip me, but we had a chance to make a statement with this hire that we are serious about competing for championships at Mississippi State. Instead, we just made the statement that we're serious about continuing to be "Miss Stake." Diaz over O, Durkin, or Chizik is an awful decision. The guy got the spotlight and cracked at Texas. It won't be any better in the SEC.

If he pulls in half as many top players to msu as he did to tx, our recruiting will be a lot better, and it ain't bad now.

Just look up the defensive talent he signed. Top defenses until tx under Mack fell apart. That year Diaz was let go early

vCash
    Can't say I know personally 100% who would have been the absolute best hire but as far as Diaz and Durkin go Mullen has worked with both, and apparently talked with both about the current opening, and chose to pursue Diaz. Chizik had some good defenses back in his days as DC but his defenses during his HC tenure at ISU and Auburn were certainly nothing to brag about. Not sure if Chizik is going to guarantee a good defense at this stage of his career given the high powered offenses of today's college football. And the only real reason to get O would have been for his recruiting prowess but if he was going to leave on the first train out of Starkville for LSU or somewhere else I'm not sure how much he could get accomplished in that arena anyway. bottom line is, no matter what we think, Mullen apparently wanted Diaz back above the other attainable options and, right or wrong, Mullen runs the show.

vCash
    If that's the logic for hiring Diaz over O, I can accept that. Don't like it, but it at least makes some level of sense. But we could've hired Durkin or Chizik, who are infinitely better DCs than Diaz AND would've made a splash. Instead, we chose to retread. That's the MSU we've seen forever. Hopefully it works out for us, but is it not understandable why so many of us are highly unenthused and underwhelmed by bring back Diaz? Especially given the candidates that were still available?
    What do we actually have out there that proves to us that Durkin is better than Diaz? Or even Chizik for that matter? All we know for sure is that Durkin had good defenses under a defensive guru HC(that consequently had a bad year at Texas almost as bad as Manny's the year before he took the Florida job), and Chizik was a good DC in the days before the spread, but ultimately failed as a HC because his defenses were always TERRIBLE? I tended to prefer Durkin over Diaz as well, but his resume is not infallible...

The argument can be made for or against anyone... Perception is a such a complex thing... I've got to honestly say -- I was hardcore against bringing Manny back when it first came up. And that has to do with both the perception of how he left us the first time and how he crashed and burned so publicly at Texas, the amount of talent on his D here, etc... After checking myself and really looking back on numbers and whatnot(primarily with the initial goal of showing it as a bad hire), I've almost totally flipped my stance to liking it. I know you are a numbers person and I encourage you to do the same. Doesn't dismiss the horrible year at Texas by any means -- but there's alot of positive surrounding that negative...

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We just went 10-2 and hired a guy who performed better at State than the guy that just left. Stop being stupid
    Bravo

vCash
    I'm skittish of Cheeze after watching his Auburn defenses for 3 years
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I agree..
    At least he will rush the passer, and not play prevent zone all the time..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Can't say I know personally 100% who would have been the absolute best hire but as far as Diaz and Durkin go Mullen has worked with both, and apparently talked with both about the current opening, and chose to pursue Diaz. Chizik had some good defenses back in his days as DC but his defenses during his HC tenure at ISU and Auburn were certainly nothing to brag about. Not sure if Chizik is going to guarantee a good defense at this stage of his career given the high powered offenses of today's college football. And the only real reason to get O would have been for his recruiting prowess but if he was going to leave on the first train out of Starkville for LSU or somewhere else I'm not sure how much he could get accomplished in that arena anyway. bottom line is, no matter what we think, Mullen apparently wanted Diaz back above the other attainable options and, right or wrong, Mullen runs the show.
    And that's the way it should be. He is the one that bets his livelihood and 3+ million $$$ on who he hires, who he lets go, and how eighty-five 19 to 21 year old young men perform on 11+ Saturdays.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Here is what Manny's last employer thought of him LINK

vCash

Hey, Bammer's Dynasty ended, too.... that help your mood?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I would have been fine with Manny, Coach O, or Durkin. I would want Dan's head examined if we hired Chizek.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    Here is what Manny's last employer thought of him LINK
    Mullen with another good hire. Can he make the next basketball hire for us for a nice bonus? Not joking.