Thread: #1 ranking was the worst thing to happen to this team.

vCash

#1 ranking was the worst thing to happen to this team.

Big heads. Everything went to shit after that. Its like they reached their season goal with that ranking.

We need to spend some money on defensive coaches.

Josh needs to hit the road.

I don't think Dak is ready for the NFL but I also don't think he gets much better than he is now, which is the greatest QB in MSU history, but is that enough to get us over the hump next year? If he comes back, the fan base will expect a Heisman season. Historically the MSU fan base is shit upon when expectations of greatness are in place.

vCash
    I disagree with 2 things:

1. Josh doesn't "need to hit the road". I wish him good luck. I don't think he's ready, but I wish him the best.

2. I think dak will get better. If dak can learn to throw the deep ball better, our offense will be extremely hard to defend. We can't complete the homerun ball right now, but I have faith dak fixes that by next season

vCash
    I agree msstate7, Dak will be much improved next year, he's only started 1 !/2 years, he will not much better at reading defenses and will have game breakers on the outside. As for as Josh, I do think he's time is up at Msu and hope he makes it in the NFL, plus I wish him all the best.

We just need a good DC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I disagree with 2 things:

1. Josh doesn't "need to hit the road". I wish him good luck. I don't think he's ready, but I wish him the best.

2. I think dak will get better. If dak can learn to throw the deep ball better, our offense will be extremely hard to defend. We can't complete the homerun ball right now, but I have faith dak fixes that by next season
    1. Disagree. He is graduating this Spring and won't be getting any better. Hopefully, Robinson realizes the reality that he may not get drafted and may get cut, but he still has just as good a chance now as he would next year, without having to risk injury. I don't think Josh is ready either, but I'm not sure what another year would other than risk his chance or getting hurt and blowing what little chance he may have.

2. Completely agree. Dak has gotten immensely better, but his deep ball leaves a lot to be desired. He needs to arch his back more and get his ass into it. He throws it way to low. He can really improve on those and he needs to improve his touch on check down passes.

Dak throws a football like Lebron James shoots a basketball. Lebron is an effective shooter, but will never be an elite shooter because his shot is too hard. Whereas Ray Allen and Dirk are elite shooters because they have such a soft, lofty shot. Dak needs to develop that feel and touch on his passes. If he does that, he may we be a first round pick next year.

vCash
    Disagree. We can't learn to handle the big stage until we get to it. We got to it and hopefully next time we will handle it better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    Disagree. We can't learn to handle the big stage until we get to it. We got to it and hopefully next time we will handle it better.
    So true and totally agree, to bad more don't see it like this!

vCash
    Agree with you. The cash pulled in was astronomical. Heard Stricken talking about that on multiple occasions. Our 'brand' has been put on the national stage and received well. We drew good ratings with CBS and the prime ESPN game. All of this is a help, not a "We lost again".

Josh, a basically homeless kid will get a university degree and has a shot at his dream? Better life skills than when he came. Friends/Brothers for life. I hope he makes it big. He gave his all. Good on him.

Dak can and will get better if he is who we think he is. Also, this year was the first in my memory we had multiple WR threats who performed well. That will continue next year. He gets better.

You have to earn the right to be in the arena in order to win it. It stings now but it will get better.

I can promise you, we have a lot more reasons to be hopeful this morning than our friends up the road.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    We can't get better until Mullen looks in the mirror and decides that it's ok to hire a good coach on defense and leave him the **** alone. Until he puts his arrogance in the ****ing trash can this is all we get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    We can't get better until Mullen looks in the mirror and decides that it's ok to hire a good coach on defense and leave him the **** alone. Until he puts his arrogance in the ****ing trash can this is all we get.
    I agree with this too. It is time for a defensive philosophy overhaul.

vCash
    I agree with this too. It is time for a defensive philosophy overhaul.
    I disagree. Give Mullen a raise. If he is also completely responsible for the defense as well then he has also coached two top 25 defenses and a third number 33 since he has been here. That's pretty impressive considering he is also the head coach and offensive coordinator.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I disagree. Give Mullen a raise. If he is also completely responsible for the defense as well then he has also coached two top 25 defenses and a third number 33 since he has been here. That's pretty impressive considering he is also the head coach and offensive coordinator.
    You disagree? So where we are right now is your ceiling and it's good enough? And it's ok to answer yes if it is. It's just not for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdog View Post
    Big heads. Everything went to shit after that. Its like they reached their season goal with that ranking.

I don't think Dak is ready for the NFL but I also don't think he gets much better than he is now, which is the greatest QB in MSU history, but is that enough to get us over the hump next year? If he comes back, the fan base will expect a Heisman season. Historically the MSU fan base is shit upon when expectations of greatness are in place.
    Do you suggest that we never excel so that we will never get the big head?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    You disagree? So where we are right now is your ceiling and it's good enough? And it's ok to answer yes if it is. It's just not for me.
    I was disagreeing with this concept that it is his defense and therefore it is costing us because of him. You cannot take that argument without acknowledging that if that is true then his defenses have also been good half the time as well. Therefore maybe we just need to hire more compent men to implement his defense that has also been shown to work well in this league. I actually disagree with this thought process as I think he has stayed out of the defense more than what is being asserted. But if that is not the case, as you are proposing, then he is not only being a successful head coach and OC but also the defensive architect. Can't think of too many coaches who have done that and still able to win 10 games in the SEC.

I am being somewhat absurd but you can't have it both ways. You can't disparage the defense that its completely his fault because he is running it as well with out seeing the fact it has also succeeded as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdog View Post

Not that i dont see your line of reasoning, but i dont think we got the big head.

Id rather think that the coaching staff failed to treat every opponent as a unique challenge. In strategy, one size just doesnt fit all if you are not head and shoulders above everyone on your schedule.

******* plan was just fine as long as the other teams defwnse was average or below. Or if the other teams offense was vanilla. The second we faced a qb like uk's or bama's sims or a defense that stuffed the middle, we were unwilling to adjust accordingly.

The uk game should have been more of a warning than it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    Agree with you. The cash pulled in was astronomical. Heard Stricken talking about that on multiple occasions. Our 'brand' has been put on the national stage and received well. We drew good ratings with CBS and the prime ESPN game. All of this is a help, not a "We lost again".

Josh, a basically homeless kid will get a university degree and has a shot at his dream? Better life skills than when he came. Friends/Brothers for life. I hope he makes it big. He gave his all. Good on him.

Dak can and will get better if he is who we think he is. Also, this year was the first in my memory we had multiple WR threats who performed well. That will continue next year. He gets better.

You have to earn the right to be in the arena in order to win it. It stings now but it will get better.

I can promise you, we have a lot more reasons to be hopeful this morning than our friends up the road.
    Three excellent post in a row. Thanks.