Thread: Doesn't this Football selection comittie, select other Bowl games also.

vCash

Doesn't this Football selection comittee, select other Bowl games also.

I was thinking that they are picking several of the bowl game match ups in addition to the top 4 in the championship series.
    Last edited by Offshore Dawg; 10-28-2014 at 08:28 AM.

vCash
    I think that might be indirectly true. I understand they aren't matching teams to bowls, but they are ranking teams and bowls this year have to take the best teams available instead of making business decisions. I think I also read most if not all bowls pay the same.

All of this smells like legal pressure to me.

vCash
    yes they do. this year the rose and sugar are the playoff. so the teams for the fiesta, orange, cotton and peach will come from the playoff ranking teams 5-12.

vCash
    Here's the general rule.

The top Non-Power 5 conference winner (currently paced to be East Carolina or Marshall) is guaranteed a spot in the New Years Six.

Sugar
    Rose
    Fiesta
    Orange
    Cotton
    Peach

Conference tie-ins are as follows:
    Sugar: SEC
    Rose: B1G, Pac 12
    Fiesta: Big 12
    Orange: ACC

In years where the Sugar is a playoff game (like 2014), the Orange gets an SEC team. Notre Dame is considered an ACC team for the Orange Bowl's case. All other slots (including both slots in Peach and Cotton) are considered at-large spots that can be occupied by anyone in the Top 12.

Looking the AP Top 12, and maneuvering for conferences (The committee rankings should be used, but are unavailable), here are the likely match ups if things started today.

Sugar Bowl: No. 1 Mississippi State vs. No. 5 Oregon
    Rose Bowl: No. 2 Florida State vs. No. 3 Alabama

Fiesta Bowl: No. 11 Kansas State (Big 12 leader) vs. No. 8 Michigan State (B1G leader)
    Orange Bowl: No. 4 Auburn (top SEC available) vs. No. 6 Notre Dame (Top ACC available)
    Cotton Bowl: No. 7 Ole Miss (at-large) vs. No. 10 TCU (at-large)
    Peach Bowl: No. 9 Georgia (at-large) vs. No. 21 East Carolina (top Non Power 5)

Baylor is the Top 12 team that loses spot to ECU.

All that to say - we'll likely be in the Sugar Bowl as a playoff team (either 1 or 4 if we should lose), or the top SEC team available and play Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.
    Last edited by curmudgeon; 10-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.