Thread: This UNC Academic Scandal is starting to look big.

vCash

This UNC Academic Scandal is starting to look big.

Glad it happened in The Education State and not here. Hope Byron Sanders got the education he was promised.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc...aud/index.html

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Interesting that these ACC schools continue to have academic issues. I believe FSU and Miami have had this same issue in the past.

vCash
    And they keep saying "no one high up in academics or athletics knew anything". That is some strong kool-aid they are drinking in Chapel Hill.
    3,100 athletes over 18 years? That's 172 per year on average. No way that the higher ups didn't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    And they keep saying "no one high up in academics or athletics knew anything". That is some strong kool-aid they are drinking in Chapel Hill.
    3,100 athletes over 18 years? That's 172 per year on average. No way that the higher ups didn't know.
    That'd be an LOL if it wasn't also a TRAGEDY.

vCash
    The odd thing is, the outrage here is much less than you would expect. But, that may be because this has been a story for a few years now, with most of the details being known/suspected before this latest report was released.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Technetium View Post
    The odd thing is, the outrage here is much less than you would expect. But, that may be because this has been a story for a few years now, with most of the details being known/suspected before this latest report was released.
    Oh, there is plenty. I would support the complete death penalty of all sports at UNC for a four year period and probation of some sort for the conference.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Technetium View Post
    The thing that will outrage The Education State will be giving up those titles if the NCAA comes down on it. It certainly looks like they should.

vCash
    I would say this is definitely a huge scandal. I'm sure Roy Williams will deny, deny, deny, but this should result in vacating the '05 and '09 National Championships. It's really hard to imagine that none of the higher powers in the AD knew this was going on. This is SO MUCH bigger than just a sports story. I have several question so anyone feel free to answer. Does this dilute the value of a UNC degree? Would the professor teaching these fictitious classes be getting financially compensated for doing nothing? How would this not be defrauding the government and wouldn't this scandal result in jail time for the people involved?

vCash
    to answer at least one question. i believe the professor was charged but they dropped the charges in exchange for his testimony.

vCash

vCash
    I haven't liked Roy Williams since he got a MD fan kicked out of a game for yelling during free throws or something. No way they did not know this was going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Oh, there is plenty. I would support the complete death penalty of all sports at UNC for a four year period and probation of some sort for the conference.
    Sorry, by "here" I meant in NC. I live in Durham, and I expected it to be a hotter topic in the area recently than it is. While the sports radio folks talk about it a lot, even they have the "So, what now? What good are punishments now?" mentality rather than the "UNC MUST BE PUNISHED!!!" mindset.