Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead Premier

vCash

The Walking Dead Premier

GREAT episode. This was as good as one of the better episodes for a whole season and it was just a premier.

SPOILERS.....

I was surprised that Terminus was dealt with this season in just one episodes. I thought maybe the whole season or at least several episodes would be about Terminus. Wow. Maybe some Terminus characters aren't done yet. But a lot was dished out tonight.

vCash
    MORE SPOILERS....

Watching The Talking Dead now...

The producers are saying that in the books, any Terminus visitors who were weak would be immediately turned into food. Terminus visitors who were strong would be fed for a while and eventually a pitch would be made to make them residents who understood they were eating people. A negative response would turn the stronger ones into food, while a positive response would make Terminus larger.

That would have made for some good episodes or even a season. I'm surprised the show didn't run with that.

I have no idea where this season is headed (don't spoil it).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post

I was surprised that Terminus was dealt with this season in just one episodes. I thought maybe the whole season or at least several episodes would be about Terminus. Wow. Maybe some Terminus characters aren't done yet. But a lot was dished out tonight.
    Spoilers...

I'm not surprised they dealt with Terminus in one episode. Having multiple episodes with the main characters locked up would have been brutal tv. And having them participate in Terminus to have some freedom before they broke away would have been too limiting to the character's story arcs. can't have them eat people and then continue to have the show focused on hwo they keep their humanity. At that point thte show would just be about surviving zombies.

As far as Terminus characters coming back later, I'm guessing Tyrese didn't kill the guy in the house. Beat the crap out of him and told Carol he killed him because he didn't want her to go finish the job. That could be a character that comes back.

Overall really liked the episode. The only part I didn't liek was I didn't figure out what the hell the THEN v. NOW scenes were about until the end. I couldn't tell who the people in the cart were. Maybe that was intentional but it was extremely confusing and distracting throughout the show.

vCash
    Only THEN guy I recognized was Garrett(?), the Terminus leader.

None of that Then/Now stuff made sense to me until the director explained it on The Talking Dead. I thought that was handled poorly. They should have spent a few more minutes on that.

vCash

None of that Then/Now stuff made sense to me until the director explained it on The Talking Dead. I thought that was handled poorly. They should have spent a few more minutes on that.
    After the lady Carol knee capped explained how Terminus started and how it evolved, and then they showed the last "THEN" scene, I recognized the Terminus leader and understood what the THEN scenes were. Did the director say they wanted the viewers to be confused until then? Because if you were supposed to be able to tell before that point what the NOW and THEN scenes were about, they screwed it up.

vCash
    the last the terminus leader was talking to was the lady that Carol knee capped and let the walkers in on her.

great episode. I'm not sure terminus is dealt with. They are still alive and Rick's plans will change depending on 1) Judith and 2) seeking the cure (getting to DC). Personally I think a trip to DC would be much more entertaining than another prison-esq battle for territory. The show has done that, twice, with the Governor vs Rick. I think a large group traveling together could be logistically interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Personally I think a trip to DC would be much more entertaining than another prison-esq battle for territory. The show has done that, twice, with the Governor vs Rick. I think a large group traveling together could be logistically interesting.
    I think that won't happen yet for two reasons: One, it could be difficult to film. With the battles for territory, they have a primary filming location. Not sure if it's really hard to go find a handful of places to film for each episode, but surely it's easier to have the bulk of each episode shot in the same place each season. Two, I'm guessing they don't want to get too far ahead of the timeline in the comics. There are enough differences that they can completely diverge if they have to when the series catches up, but I'm guessing they want to delay that as long as possible to the extent they can do so without causing the tv show to drag too much.

I agree with you thought that I hope it happens. I think they have some real challenges coming up for the TV series if they follow the comics. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the episodes on Hershel's farm, and I think the community outside DC will be similarly brutal TV.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    2 things: Very interested to see what the DC crew has to share with the old crew that they said it wasn't time for yet. And I'm very interested to see Morgan's role and timeline. He has always been that character in the back of my mind.

vCash
    the show is much better when they are on the road, it got stagnant when they were on the farm in S2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    2 things: Very interested to see what the DC crew has to share with the old crew that they said it wasn't time for yet. And I'm very interested to see Morgan's role and timeline. He has always been that character in the back of my mind.
    Spoiler Based on the Comic:

The 'cure' guy is basically an ex highschool science teacher and is full of shit. This is known by the guy and girl of the DC crew, but they ignore it because having a "Mission", even if it's a fake one, let's them focus on something that keeps them going.

vCash
    Did anyone else think when the explosion happened (carols firework to the gas) that it was the governors tank? I thought for a split second that it was.

Great episode other than that, and gareth was shot in the arm and lived if I remember correctly, so I doubt he's done. They spent a decent amount of time with his back story and showing you the type of guy he is to just kill him off. I think he'll be back

vCash
    Gareth will definitely be back. From the trailer it seems that he joins the trip to DC, which makes 0 sense that the group would let him "join up" with them, but I'll wait and see how it plays out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Spoiler Based on the Comic:

The 'cure' guy is basically an ex highschool science teacher and is full of shit. This is known by the guy and girl of the DC crew, but they ignore it because having a "Mission", even if it's a fake one, let's them focus on something that keeps them going.
    I was thinking he would end up being the janitor for some kind of biological weapons research location. I have thought he was full of shit because he is so secretive about the "cure".

vCash

Maybe it is purely from watching Lost but I picked up on it pretty quick. I didn't realize the guy they freed in the container was the rapey guy from the flashbacks until it was mentioned on either Talking Dead or an article I read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think that won't happen yet for two reasons: One, it could be difficult to film. With the battles for territory, they have a primary filming location. Not sure if it's really hard to go find a handful of places to film for each episode, but surely it's easier to have the bulk of each episode shot in the same place each season. Two, I'm guessing they don't want to get too far ahead of the timeline in the comics. There are enough differences that they can completely diverge if they have to when the series catches up, but I'm guessing they want to delay that as long as possible to the extent they can do so without causing the tv show to drag too much.

I agree with you thought that I hope it happens. I think they have some real challenges coming up for the TV series if they follow the comics. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the episodes on Hershel's farm, and I think the community outside DC will be similarly brutal TV.
    Robert Kirkman has said the show doesn't necessarily follow the comics. He likes that they are different. They throw easter eggs into the show like when Rosalita, army dude, and mullet scientist showed up and posed like the cover of the comic. Not sure how close they will actually stay with the comic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Robert Kirkman has said the show doesn't necessarily follow the comics. He likes that they are different. They throw easter eggs into the show like when Rosalita, army dude, and mullet scientist showed up and posed like the cover of the comic. Not sure how close they will actually stay with the comic.
    As you said, they like the show being different from the comics. In fact, they've openly said they make changes so the comic readers are surprised by the TV show. It loosely follows the arc, but characters can have greater or lesser impacts, live longer or shorter, etc. Andrea is a perfect example, actually. She's one of the longest living survivors in the comics, but they killed her off relatively quickly in the TV show. Basically, it will follow the travel path of the comics (Atlanta -> Farm -> Prison -> Terminus -> DC -> Wherever next) but the "how" they get to the various locations and the "who" gets to the various locations changes.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I was thinking of getting the Compendiums which is all the comics in 2 books. Anyone read the comics and think it is worth buying? I love the show and just wanted a different take on somethings.

Also, how does everyone think they will do the 2nd show if that starts up? Will it be a different location like Los Angeles or different time like before the outbreak?

vCash
    I was a little bit underwhelmed by tonight's episode to be honest. It felt slow. It was made blatantly obvious that Bob was about to get screwed by the way his character was portrayed as the happy man in love the whole episode.

Also pretty sure that Bob had been bitten earlier by the way he was acting after they got back to the church.
    Last edited by mstatefan91; 10-19-2014 at 11:58 PM.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    I was a little bit underwhelmed by tonight's episode to be honest. It felt slow. It was made blatantly obvious that Bob was about to get screwed by the way his character was portrayed as the happy man in love the whole episode.
    It was definitely slow. I don't think there's anyway to avoid these types of episodes though. Have to do some things to set up action for later and also to avoid it being simply people running around stabbing/shooting zombies for 45 minutes each week.

Also pretty sure that Bob had been bitten earlier by the way he was acting after they got back to the church.
    Yeah, the foreshadwoing on that was a little too obvious. But if they hadn't done it like that I guess viewers would have been wondering why in the hell he was out in teh woods crying and thought the writers took a shortcut and had him doing something nonsensical just to create an opportunity for him to be kidnapped.

vCash

Hard not to have a "let down" after the first episode. I feel/felt the same way about Bob. He had to have gotten bit.

I'm also thinking that the preacher is the one making the marks on the trees and has some sort of deal worked out with the Terminus group.