Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elites, What Say Ye?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I was talking conference expansion with a buddy - an aTm guy - yesterday. It seems clear to most of us that UNC and either VT or VA will be the next 2 SEC members. My buddy proceeds to say he has a "very reliable source with close ties to SEC coaches and ADs." According to his buddy, most of them think Oklahoma & Okie State will be the next 2 SEC members, possibly as soon as this summer. Texas will head for the PAC-12 and the Big 12 will fold. They also supposedly say the SEC isn't actively looking for new members, unless someone falls in their lap, a la aTm.

Personally, I don't buy it. Oklahoma might make a little financial sense, but otherwise they make zero "footprint" or regional sense. Not to mention it would make the conference wayyy too spread out. Okie State brings literally nothing to the table, other than T. Boone Pickens. I think we're looking to expand up the East Coast and potentially try to get into the DC market. Plus, I don't think we're going to add teams that overextend the conference geographically to where our fans have trouble traveling to road games. But maybe I'm wrong.

What say ye? Do Oklahoma & Okie State make sense?
    I don't know what's going to happen, but adding Missouri made me sick to my stomach. That is a classic example of overextending the conference footprint. Through all this expansion talk I wanted to SEC to stay true to it's roots and remain "southern". I know it's all about expanding TV market's, but I really wish we could have added Florida State and Clemson first. That's never going to happen but I wish it would remain a southern conference and Missouri didn't fit the mold.

Also, I thought the ACC had some kind of contract with their remaining teams that will hold the conference together for a long long time.

ETA: We shoud never never ever go with West Virginia. That school, fanbase, and entire state would do nothing for the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hump4Hoops View Post
    Why in the hell would we want any more strong teams? We already added aTm who will be battling Alabama and Florida for best athletics in the conference. I want someone we can beat on a semi regular basis.
    Think about it this way......

If we add two teams to the east (UNC, NC State, Va Tech, Miami, Ga Tech, etc, etc,) then Missouri could become a Western Division team. That would actually be ideal for us. Adding a football program like that to the west would be in our best interest. Adding a powerhouse like Oklahoma (except when they play big games) would be horrible for us.