Thread: SECN documentary idea

vCash

SECN documentary idea

I see where the SECN is doing the Chuckie ******* doc. I would love to see something like that about Nick Bell. I know it hasn't been very long ago, but that kid's story impacted me quite a bit.

vCash
    I'd go with Kiefer or Stowers over Bell...no disrespect to Bell by any means- but those two were All-SEC level players.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    No doubt both were tragic losses of talented young men. I remember very vividly where I was when I heard the news about Kiefer. I had met him a few times and he was always really nice and humble. Stowers was a tough one to hear about as well.

vCash
    On a related note -- it's still unbelievable to me how little play the 'Game of Change' documentary has gotten. Seems like the type of thing that would be eaten up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    On a related note -- it's still unbelievable to me how little play the 'Game of Change' documentary has gotten. Seems like the type of thing that would be eaten up.
    I agree- no way to do a 30 for 30 on that because it doesnt fit the perception of the South
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I thought about that as well. It would be nice if our athletic department would push these ideas a little more with ESPN. Maybe they have. I don't know. We just have so many great stories in our athletics history.

vCash
    I agree. Considering what was going on at OM's campus during this time period, what we were doing was a huge thing for Mississippi. I'm certainly glad we're on the right side of history in that regard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I agree- no way to do a 30 for 30 on that because it doesnt fit the perception of the South
    It also doesn't fit the narrative of Ole Miss (Ghosts of Mississippi) being the only interesting thing in Mississippi during the 1960s.

vCash
    I think the reason that Chucky's story is such a big story across the league and even the nation is that people got to know him after his injury and before his death. I was a student when Rodney Stowers died and I still get emotional thinking about hearing that for the first time. Hearing about Keefer McGee and Nick Bell was tough but Stowers' death was super tough on me I guess because he was a classmate and I had seen him on campus some.
    Also, let me add that my admiration of Jackie Sherrill is somewhat derived from watching him deal with Rodney Stowers' and Keefer McGee's deaths.
    Last edited by LC Dawg; 09-02-2014 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    It also doesn't fit the narrative of Ole Miss (Ghosts of Mississippi) being the only interesting thing in Mississippi during the 1960s.
    Well, that was a big part of our state's history, unfortunately.

I sure would like to see the difference in our culture's at the time acknowledged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Exactly. Just watching the previews of the Chucky documentary Thursday night, looks like another hit piece to portray Mississippi as racist in the late 80s & early 90s. Then Chucky gets injured and that miraculously begins to change. The South's legacy after the War of Northern Aggression continues being re-written, especially Mississippi. Hell, we still wear overalls, go barefoot, and wonder what indoor plumbing is.***
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Yeah you won't see that much. The nation doesn't want us to move up the ladder. They want us to stay in our place at the bottom. Showing something positive about Mississippi doesn't fit their MO.

vCash
    Could they be waiting until closer to basketball season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDog13 View Post
    Yeah you won't see that much. The nation doesn't want us to move up the ladder. They want us to stay in our place at the bottom. Showing something positive about Mississippi doesn't fit their MO.
    "If it bleeds, it leads." It's not a slight against Mississippi. it's just how the media cycle works generally.