Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAIS Teams no comparison to MHSAA!!1!

vCash

MAIS Teams no comparison to MHSAA!!1!

#1 Oxford 26, Jackson Prep 21 with 4:00 to go playing in Oxford.

Prep continuing to tko the long-held stereotype...

vCash
    Playing in Flowood i think.

I assume this is the highest ranked MHSAA school a MAIS school has played.

I think Bassfield was around number 10 last year.

Not sure where Oxford was ranked when they played last year.

Prep played Brentwood Academy and MUS lots of years ago when they were both way up the Tennessee food chain.

vCash
    You are correct...

26-21 final sealed on a DK Metcalf INT...

vCash
    Prep had two opportunities for short FG's in the 1st half and they decided to go for the conversion both times and failed.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    Prep had two opportunities for short FG's in the 1st half and they decided to go for the conversion both times and failed.
    Sounds like freeze's dumbass vs Bama

vCash
    What Maroons said plus Metcalf made a circus catch on a tipped ball to score a TD.

Oxford is the number one team in the state per the Clarion-Ledger and beat South Panola in a jamboree last weekend FWIW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    #1 Oxford 26, Jackson Prep 21 with 4:00 to go playing in Oxford.

Prep continuing to tko the long-held stereotype...
    Yes, the MAIS has 2 and a half good teams....the rest, not so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by K9 Avenger View Post
    Yes, the MAIS has 2 and a half good teams....the rest, not so much.
    And the MHSAA has how many bad teams?

The meme used to be that the MAIS teams couldn't compete with any of the public schools. Prep and MRA have changed that. JA just started playing public schools a couple of years ago, but they are very good as well but they didn't carry the banner like Prep and MRA did. Magnolia Heights, Presbyterian Christian, and Centreville Academy are all very good small private school teams that would compete very solidly in 1A, which is where they would be classified.

And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hartfield Academy becomes the Rankin County version of MRA in 3-5 years.

vCash
    I'm not even from MS but you give me all 10 of the best public school teams and line them up one at a time against the best MAIS team and public schools win 10 out of 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    I'm not even from MS but you give me all 10 of the best public school teams and line them up one at a time against the best MAIS team and public schools win 10 out of 10.
    No. They would win the vast majority but not all. Plus, that trend is changing. More and more people are sending their kids to private school. With the direction this country is going, people are sacrificing other things to be able to afford it. I know some young people that barely scrape by and they wouldn't consider sending their kids to public. One of these families has a very talented athlete for a son.

vCash
    You have no clue. They've been playing for years now an Prep and MRA have done quite well.

vCash
    And you think these games would be "fair" competitions? That what's happened in surrounding states with single athletics organizations -- where they've put in 1.3 and 1.4 multipliers for the private schools to "play them up" and keep them from constantly dominating their divisions. Prep has 768 students 6th-12th -- 109 fewer than Oxford has in 9th-12th. You think it's an "even comparison" when Prep plays #1 teams in the state that is over double their size? Teams of a size that they routinely beat in reality...

If you do the math by enrollment and put the MAIS teams in their proper divisions -- Prep would be 4A, JA would be 3A, MRA and a handful of others would be 2A, and the rest of the MAIS would be A. Prep and JA would wreck shit in the average year.
    Last edited by engie; 08-23-2014 at 06:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And the MHSAA has how many bad teams?

The meme used to be that the MAIS teams couldn't compete with any of the public schools. Prep and MRA have changed that. JA just started playing public schools a couple of years ago, but they are very good as well but they didn't carry the banner like Prep and MRA did. Magnolia Heights, Presbyterian Christian, and Centreville Academy are all very good small private school teams that would compete very solidly in 1A, which is where they would be classified.

And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hartfield Academy becomes the Rankin County version of MRA in 3-5 years.
    I watched Canton play Richland in a jamboree last week. Both Warren Central and Richland are horrible. They could not compete in in the MAIS AAA. Canton could compete in the A or AA public schools. I was at the Prep game last night and there is no way Oxfor is the number one team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    If you do the math by enrollment and put the MAIS teams in their proper divisions -- Prep would be 4A, JA would be 3A, MRA and a handful of others would be 2A, and the rest of the MAIS would be A.
    Correct.

In the proper divisions, a good many (not all) MAIS schools would do very well in MHSAA. Probably be title contenders each year in most sports.

The argument always seems to circle around to Prep couldn't beat SPanola or Mad Cent. Well they'd be 2 or 3 divisions lower and not supposed to.

Thee key is - in the proper division.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the public schools would point out that though they have more people, they can only have people on their team that love in that schools area.

Private schools don't have that restriction do they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    I think the public schools would point out that though they have more people, they can only have people on their team that love in that schools area.

Correct. That + recruitment is the reason for the multiplier in other states, meaning a private school with 1000 students would be considered the same as a public school with 1300 students....

It's stupid and backwards that Mississippi still has separate athletics entities... Not to mention unfair to the athletes overall...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I watched Canton play Richland in a jamboree last week. Both Warren Central and Richland are horrible. They could not compete in in the MAIS AAA. Canton could compete in the A or AA public schools. I was at the Prep game last night and there is no way Oxfor is the number one team.
    I have to agree with you tht Oxford is probably not the number one team in the state. I was actually a little bit surprised that the Clarion-Ledger has them there. I could buy number one in 5A maybe though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Correct.

In the proper divisions, a good many (not all) MAIS schools would do very well in MHSAA. Probably be title contenders each year in most sports.

The argument always seems to circle around to Prep couldn't beat SPanola or Mad Cent. Well they'd be 2 or 3 divisions lower and not supposed to.

Thee key is - in the proper division.
    As long as Bobby Hall is at MC, Prep would have a fighting chance against them. I would expect a game about like the Oxford game last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post

Yes, but it's also illegal to recruit players to a private school. Ask MRA circa 1992. Not saying it doesn't happen- but there is at least risk for penalty. And let's not act like South Panola and Olive Branch don't recruit- heck, Trey Smith is the first QB that MC has had that actually went through the school system for years. And ironically most of the QB's for MC have come from......Jackson Academy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I have to agree with you tht Oxford is probably not the number one team in the state. I was actually a little bit surprised that the Clarion-Ledger has them there. I could buy number one in 5A maybe though.
    CL loves oxford bc it's OM's location and has 2 '16 OM commits**