Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A bullet point or two about the scrimmage.

vCash

A bullet point or two about the scrimmage.

Defense won the day big time. Offense wasn't exactly anemic, but 1,2 and 3 defensive units are very strong.

Remember the name Gray on defense. Think Ashley Cooper.

Still having trouble in the field goal game.

No real stats to tell you except there were only about 7 Td's scored in 160 plus plays.

The drone I used to spy on the practice suddenly went haywire and hovered outside the freshmen girls dorm. Notes from that are in next months penthouse forum.

Digger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Defense won the day big time. Offense wasn't exactly anemic, but 1,2 and 3 defensive units are very strong.

Remember the name Gray on defense. Think Ashley Cooper.

No real stats to tell you except there were only about 7 Td's scored in 160 plus plays.

The drone I used to spy on the practice suddenly went haywire and hovered outside the freshmen girls dorm. Notes from that are in next months penthouse forum.

Digger

Thanks Digger. Cooper is one of my favorites of all time...you have me pumped about Gray. Think he'll play significant minutes this year? Or too early to tell?
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post

vCash
    "Still having trouble in the field goal game."

Awesome.

Thanks for the notes.

vCash
    JT Gray. He was all over the place. Not tall. Hybrid DB/LB. maybe fastest player on defense. Supposedly lead all tacklers. But, yes. Too early to tell.

Collins knows the offense as well as the defense so the advantage they have will not be something many, if any other teams enjoy.

vCash
    How well did the ol hold up against dl?

vCash
    Yea. I wasn't happy about that either. Says the kicker from Michigan was no better than anyone else. Wish I had better news.

vCash
    From the word I got, DL dominated. But no specifics on any particular unit except the field goal kickers.

vCash
    The offense has three OOC games to find rhythm so I'm not really worried about them. By LSUx the offense needs to be humming though.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    I'm afraid we are going to need to be unreal on Offense, because our Special Teams isn't very special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'm afraid we are going to need to be unreal on Offense, because our Special Teams isn't very special.
    I'm beginning to wonder if our FG kicking futility has more problems than just the kicker.

vCash
    I'm staying optimistic about the kicking game until we see it on the field. Out of the three guys our staff identified as college-level kickers and brought in plus the two we already had, surely someone will emerge. Let's also keep in mind that practice isn't a wonderful indicator of how a kicker will perform in game as Devon Bell was allegedly all-world in practice the past two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I'm staying optimistic about the kicking game until we see it on the field. Out of the three guys our staff identified as college-level kickers and brought in plus the two we already had, surely someone will emerge. Let's also keep in mind that practice isn't a wonderful indicator of how a kicker will perform in game as Devon Bell was allegedly all-world in practice the past two years.
    True. It would be a damn shame if we were good enough to possibly win the West, only to have our lack of a field goal kicker keep us from the promised land.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    True. It would be a damn shame if we were good enough to possibly win the West, only to have our lack of a field goal kicker keep us from the promised land.
    For everything great Dan does, this has been my biggest frustration. Field goal kickers score points. Lots of points. They hold all-time scoring records at schools. This is not a position that should be allowed to flounder, especially on a team where offense has been lacking at times.

He finally made the right move this year in finding a transfer with experience and giving over duties to another coach. I don't know if it is something we are doing or not doing that is not working, but we have got to get that figured out. Think about how important kickers were under The Kang. Must. Figure. It. Out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by codeDawg View Post
    For everything great Dan does, this has been my biggest frustration. Field goal kickers score points. Lots of points. They hold all-time scoring records at schools. This is not a position that should be allowed to flounder, especially on a team where offense has been lacking at times.

He finally made the right move this year in finding a transfer with experience and giving over duties to another coach. I don't know if it is something we are doing or not doing that is not working, but we have got to get that figured out. Think about how important kickers were under The Kang. Must. Figure. It. Out.
    I agree. That's why I wish we could hire the Kang to coach our Special Teams. Jackie's offenses weren't as potent as Dan's, but the Special Teams factor evened things out considerably when it came to overall production of the team.

Jackie:
    Poor offense
    Excellent Defense
    Excellent Special Teams

Dan:
    Above average offense
    Very good defense
    Poor Special teams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by codeDawg View Post

Seriously I'm to the point where I don't see why we can't pick up a JUCO FG kicker every couple of years for the job that the coaches have seen kick without a tee for 2 years and can look at the results and who should also need minimal coaching since he would come in as a JR and would have been kicking in college for 2 years. I have ZERO faith in our ability to develop a kicker but I don't see why we can't bring in a JUCO who is pretty much ready to go as is and just leave him alone. I'm not even asking for a great FG kicker, plain out simple ol' mediocrity would be a huge step up for us.

vCash
    We should have hired John Baxter as ST/TE coach and moved Sallach to the office. And he's still available.

vCash
    i think, my pet peeve with Dan is His inability to have an average kicking game. I have said numerous times the difference in Us winning 7 games and 10 games will be the play of our special teams. We could just sign Scooba's kicker every 2 years and be way ahead of the game. half- the JUCO's in Ms have better Kickers than Us. There is no excuse for the shitty kicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    i think, my pet peeve with Dan is His inability to have an average kicking game. I have said numerous times the difference in Us winning 7 games and 10 games will be the play of our special teams. We could just sign Scooba's kicker every 2 years and be way ahead of the game. half- the JUCO's in Ms have better Kickers than Us. There is no excuse for the shitty kicking.
    Completely agree. I remember USM had the worst kicker in the country in the Hwrappman guy....and after one off season of working with their ST coach, he either won the Groza, or came close to it. We are in the best conference in America, find a damn kicker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Yeah, but that's not usually a two-way street. "Good in practice, then suck in games" happens a lot more than, "suck in practice, then good in games".