Thread: Champions of Mississippi

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash

Champions of Mississippi

If we beat USM and OM this year it will be the first time that has happened since 1976.

I found it interesting that Southern has actually beat MSU and OM in the same year not once, not twice, but three times since the last time either MSU or OM beat both in-state schools in the same year.

If we can accomplish this, it will be the first time anyone of the three has done it since 1983.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014...ppi-champions/

vCash
    I was surprised to see that USM actually holds the series W/L over us. That's crazy to me, but it is what it is... a terrible history for our program.

Thangs change Mox...

vCash

Some of you guys are obviously much younger than I. Doesn't surprise me one

bit. USM routinely kicked our asses back in the 70's and 80's. Then we (along with UM) quit playing them.
    s
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I was surprised to see that USM actually holds the series W/L over us. That's crazy to me, but it is what it is... a terrible history for our program.

Thangs change Mox...
    They only have it because we had to forfeit the 1975 and 1976 wins over them. In the record book they currently hold a 14-12-1 advantage, but on the field MSU is 14-12-1.

Still, we should be better, but it is better than it looks if not for our phony probation back then. They wiped our ass 10 out of 12 from 1977-1988. They were pretty much doing the same thing to OM in the late 70s, early 80s so we both took our ball and went home.

vCash
    This year we have the opportunity to be the Champions of Mississippi and Alabama. Let's do it!
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Good stuff CD

vCash
    It needs to be mentioned that the last two times we played USM, we defeated them and Brett Favre.

The reason we stopped playing them was because of money. Not because we got tired of them beating us.

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    ... USM routinely kicked our asses back in the 70's and 80's. Then we (along with UM) quit playing them.
    We will more than make up for those losses in 19 days. I realize our second team should play most of the second half, but I sure hope stick to our game and run the score up. This is one game that I would like to see us put some style points.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It needs to be mentioned that the last two times we played USM, we defeated them and Brett Favre.

The reason we stopped playing them was because of money. Not because we got tired of them beating us.
    Exactly. It was a lose/lose situation. Nothing to gain financially, while risking an "L" against a CUSA team.