Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who will be on our 27 man SEC roster for the SEC tourney and Regional?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Does baseball have different redshirting rules than football? I know in football if you play one snap for the year then you lose your redshirt unless you get a medical redshirt granted due to some sort of documented injury.
    No. Same rule. Only way is a medical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post
    He can still redshirt this year. Cohen keeps tabs on that closely. He's done it with a few players since he's been here, Henderson being the most notable.
    Are you sure about this Goat? Henderson is listed as a jr on our official roster -- and was in the 2010 signing class with Renfroe, CT, Frasier, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Are you sure about this Goat? Henderson is listed as a jr on our official roster -- and was in the 2010 signing class with Renfroe, CT, Frasier, etc...
    That's because he can't officially apply for a medical redshirt until his last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's because he can't officially apply for a medical redshirt until his last year.
    True -- but what medical excuse can we use on Shelley? He's had no injury that's been diclosed. That's the part in question...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    ^^^^Just for clarification, this is not accurate. A medical redshirt you don't get after your last year. A medical hardship for an extra year I.e. 6th year, that is given after his last year. There is confusion about the two, but they are different. Why Henderson is listed as a jr I don't know.

Banned
    vCash
    I thought for sure that he had red-shirted that year. Thought I even heard Cohen say it. Also thought I saw him listed as a RSo. Obviously I may be wrong, but for whatever reason I thought I was dead certain that's what happened.

The conversation I remember was that Cohen had said he thought Henderson was going to get drafted after 3 years, so they decided they may as well play him, but then pulled him off the field before the redshirt limit of playing time expired. Said they were going to do that with most freshmen and that they monitored it. Surely I can't be that brain-dead.
    Last edited by Goat Holder; 05-20-2013 at 01:52 PM.

vCash
    True -- but what medical excuse can we use on Shelley? He's had no injury that's been diclosed. That's the part in question...
    Shelly doesn't have one that I'm aware of. Not saying it's not possible but I never heard that. Fullerton, has or had some sort of leg injury and hasn't played in a game since and if the injury is legit, per NCAA specs, then he would be eligible.

vCash
    I thought for sure that he had red-shirted that year. Thought I even heard Cohen say it. Also thought I saw him listed as a RSo. Obviously I may be wrong, but for whatever reason I thought I was dead certain that's what happened.
    Goat, you are correct. . Like I said, don't know why he's listed as a jr but we applied for the medical redshirt after his fr year.

vCash

The conversation I remember was that Cohen had said he thought Henderson was going to get drafted after 3 years, so they decided they may as well play him, but then pulled him off the field before the redshirt limit of playing time expired. Said they were going to do that with most freshmen and that they monitored it. Surely I can't be that brain-dead.
    Redshirting (actual not medical) stuff confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I understand the medical stuff pretty well, I think.

"You can't play at all" -- yet Mettenberger got an actual redshirt at LSU while kneeling on the ball in Oxford and playing in several other early games and actually putting up stats? So, what gives? I truly do not understand the intricacies of it -- and that section of the NCAA rulebook(the part that goes in depth -- beyond the basic stuff) requires a login to view. If anyone can explain it to me in detail, I'd greatly appreciate it...

vCash
    Redshirting (actual not medical) stuff confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I understand the medical stuff pretty well, I think.

"You can't play at all" -- yet Mettenberger got an actual redshirt at LSU while kneeling on the ball in Oxford and playing in several other early games and actually putting up stats? So, what gives? I truly do not understand the intricacies of it -- and that section of the NCAA rulebook(the part that goes in depth -- beyond the basic stuff) requires a login to view. If anyone can explain it to me in detail, I'd greatly appreciate it...
    Ok I'll give it a shot. You can not receive a redshirt if you play in one play. EXCEPT if you are injured and you complete the proper medical documentation. Also, this injury must take place prior to your team completing 20 percent of its scheduled games(which by the way is rounded down, crazy I know) For example, you can play in 3 football games and be eligible. If the injury happens after that, out of luck. The medical redshirt was used way more years ago and I'm sure it's still abused but you do have to have dr. Documentation and then have it approved.
    Eta, the rule is now 30% of a completed season not 20. So football would be 4. Baseball would be 17.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 05-20-2013 at 03:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We are trying to get a medical for Fullerton. And word is flair won't be back next year anyway.
    I had heard the same thing this weekend about Flair and that the staff is trying to find a place for him to land. Really thought he was going to work out for us. Competition is tough at this level though.