Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Black

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash

Oliver Black

For anybody who's interested. Black has been cleared by the NCAA & will be on campus for the 1st day of the Fall semester Aug 18th. That will be all signees for the 2014 class eligible, on campus, & ready to go.

vCash
    Dawg61 will be relieved
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Turn around year is upon us

vCash
    I think we are gonna make the NIT this year. We should be much improved depth wise as long as the injury bug stays away.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Dawg61 will be relieved
    Give Ray a lifetime extension

vCash
    Now if he can teach how to attack that tricky ass 1-3-1 defense. And get one of those height extenders for his smurf guards

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Now if he can teach how to attack that tricky ass 1-3-1 defense. And get one of those height extenders for his smurf guards
    Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Ray struggled against that 1-3-1 defense not because he doesn't know how to attack it, but due to the facts that he lacked consistent shooters and had exactly one player who could match up in the post (neither of which are a problem any longer)? You can put those roster deficiencies on him if you want to, but let's see how he does against the zone now that he actually has the means to exploit it.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Ray struggled against that 1-3-1 defense not because he doesn't know how to attack it, but due to the facts that he lacked consistent shooters and had exactly one player who could match up in the post (neither of which are a problem any longer)? You can put those roster deficiencies on him if you want to, but let's see how he does against the zone now that he actually has the means to exploit it.
    Good point. Let's also not reward Ray for having a player he signed get qualified. Not saying you specifically are.

vCash

Isn't that what I just said?

vCash
    Maybe I'm wrong, and if so I apologize, but haven't you accused Ray before of not knowing how to break a 1-3-1 zone from a coaching standpoint?

vCash
    If he knows how He is keeping it a secret. but now that He has finally recruited some players maybe he will Show us he really knows how.

vCash
    Maybe I'm wrong, and if so I apologize, but haven't you accused Ray before of not knowing how to break a 1-3-1 zone from a coaching standpoint?
    You aren't wrong. And you explained it nicely. Just another thinly-veiled Ray bash in a thread that should be nothing but happiness that he got in...
    Last edited by engie; 08-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.

vCash
    No. Your clear implication is that he doesn't know how, not that he didn't have the players to be able to do it.

Banned
    vCash
    Last time we saw it isn't helping your cause here. We had a double digit 13 point lead on Ole Miss and then 1-3-1 comes out and we lose by 12. A 25 point swing to our biggest rival. The team that had crackhead on it that got Ray to say "fu@k you" to him the previous time we played. So since Ray did this after beating Ole Miss we have since lost by 19 to Ole Miss in the regular season and then lost to them again by 12 after leading by 13 in the SEC tournament. This is just kinda a reminder that when you do this you better be ready for a fight next couple times you see that same team. We were not ready last two times we played Ole Miss.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    You aren't wrong. And you explained it nicely. Just another thinly-veiled Ray bash in a thread that should be nothing but happiness that he got in...
    Since when do we reward our coaches for getting 3* players that they signed to actually qualify to be able to play? Setting the bar a little low aren't we. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO PLAY. Why would you sign a 3* player that isn't eligible?

vCash
    No one is arguing we handled the 1-3-1 well. Some are saying we don't know how, others are saying we couldn't due to personnel. We're discussing WHY we couldn't counter it, because we all know exactly what you just posted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Since when do we reward our coaches for getting 3* players that they signed to actually qualify to be able to play? Setting the bar a little low aren't we. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO PLAY. Why would you sign a 3* player that isn't eligible?
    Why did this thread ever have anything to do with Ray? No one mentioned him or even alluded to him until you and tcdog. Nobody rewarded him or praised him. They were just happy Black got in because Black is better than the absence of Black (woah). So there was no need for analysis; just all-around good news.

Unless you are rooting for Ray to fail, then you twist it into an argument over how it isn't good news and no one should be happy because the coach didn't do anything special...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why did this thread ever have anything to do with Ray? No one mentioned him or even alluded to him until you and tcdog. Nobody rewarded him or praised him. They were just happy Black got in because Black is better than the absence of Black (woah). So there was no need for analysis; just all-around good news.

Unless you are rooting for Ray to fail, then you twist it into an argument over how it isn't good news and no one should be happy because the coach didn't do anything special...
    Exactly.

I'm beyond sick of this shit. Can always count on those two to ruin EVERY SINGLE basketball thread. Was not about Ray at all until they came in with axes to grind basically shitting on a player thread in order to inform everyone Ray still sucks..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I think we are gonna make the NIT this year.
    Boy we have come a long way.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Exactly.

I'm beyond sick of this shit. Can always count on those two to ruin EVERY SINGLE basketball thread. Was not about Ray at all until they came in with axes to grind basically shitting on a player thread in order to inform everyone Ray still sucks..
    If y'all would stop trying to fluff the balls of a coach that has won 4 games and 5 games in the SEC every chance you can get I will stop having to come in and throw out tough love.

Because y'all are missing the other side to this. The side that I see. What happened with Quantrel Denson a player Ray signed? What happened the first year with Daniels and Ndoye? Two players that Ray signed. What happened with Applewhite his first season? A player Ray signed. What happened with Davis? A player Ray signed. So Black got qualified. GREAT HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE. Why does Ray keep signing question marks? I get signing a player like Newman that might be a question mark (not saying he is) but we are signing no name guys that aren't getting cleared till August going into year 3 still. Come on man we are a fu@king SEC team with pretty decent basketball tradition. Sign good players that aren't grade issues. Period.