Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen from Reddit: What highly touted FB player have we ruined?

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

Stolen from Reddit: What highly touted FB player have we ruined?

I agree with the one I saw on there, Dontae Walker
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    We didn't ruin Dontae, he ruined himself by dealing drugs and getting busted.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    We didn't ruin Dontae, he ruined himself by dealing drugs and getting busted.
    Nailed it. Dontae didn't have the "want to" that would've allowed him to capitalize on his talent. He was dealing drugs long before he came to State, then he proceeded to eat his way into one of the most hated seniors in school history.

If I'm picking, I'm going with JJ. JWS essentially abused him to run up the score on Bama in '98. He was never the same after that game and wound up being an NFL bust. JJ just couldn't seem to get healthy after that Bama game, always having hamstring/groin/knee issues. Speaking of which, how the heck have we not gotten him back involved with the program somehow? Imagine the reaction for a JJ True Maroon pre-game video.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    William Prince. Just never seemed to utilize him. Was a stud rb in high school. Don't really know if we ruined him or just wasted him. When we signed him, all I heard is "he's another Eric Dickerson".
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Nailed it. Dontae didn't have the "want to" that would've allowed him to capitalize on his talent. He was dealing drugs long before he came to State, then he proceeded to eat his way into one of the most hated seniors in school history.

If I'm picking, I'm going with JJ. JWS essentially abused him to run up the score on Bama in '98. He was never the same after that game and wound up being an NFL bust. JJ just couldn't seem to get healthy after that Bama game, always having hamstring/groin/knee issues. Speaking of which, how the heck have we not gotten him back involved with the program somehow? Imagine the reaction for a JJ True Maroon pre-game video.
    The fact that our fans choose to hate him after he had done the work he did for the maroon and white is a psychological blow that could have had big effects. How many other schools have had large numbers of fans openly boo a player on Senior Day? I think that was wrong of us. Even though I didn't participate, it's still "us" who did it.

vCash
    I also think the Ref who called back his touchdown when he dove into the end zone made a very unfair call that this one of a long string of unfair calls on Dontae: Our fan's judgment, this idiot ref, and the judge who over sentenced him on the drug charges.

He may not have met our expectations, but I do think it's important to remember that our players are human beings. Discounting the feelings of a human being is not an admirable action. Trying to inflict pain on others by anonymously joining a chorus of jeers is not something I'd stand by and let my child participate in.

vCash
    Omarr Conner. Would have been really good under Mullen. Was the #9 QB. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...id=222837&pg=7

Derek Pegues. Was #41 overall player, didn't even sniff the NFL. http://mississippistate.scout.com/a....=1&nid=1215658

vCash
    Omar Conner or Kevin Fant would be my pick.

Omar would have been a stud in a spread type of offense. I also think that he could have been a really good WR if we would have started him off there and just left him instead of moving back and forth between QB & WR.

Fant took an absolutely beating when he was here.

vCash
    Hard for me to think of guys the MSU ruined. Obviously, there are guys that may have had different careers had they gone elsewhere like Omar and Tyler. Everybody is ultimately responsible for their own actions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    I agree with the one I saw on there, Dontae Walker
    this kinda sounds like fodder for our competition to show future recruits ...... I don't know that WE "ruined" anyone ... we have had players with issues and players that didn't pan out but I swear - to say we ruined them ??????
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    this kinda sounds like fodder for our competition to show future recruits ...... I don't know that WE "ruined" anyone ... we have had players with issues and players that didn't pan out but I swear - to say we ruined them ??????
    I guess I should've worded it differently. But I was using the title that was on Reddit. And to be fair, every school is presenting examples on there. Bears brought up Masoli.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I wouldn't say ruined, but more of underutilized for Donald Lee. He could've created so many mismatches if TE's were used more effectively back then.

vCash
    Yeah, Not sure we ruined anybody. We may have had some that did not live up to potential or we may could have used differently over the years, but that is about it. Based on some of the logic being used here one could almost make an argument for Tyler Russell. He never really played in a style that best suited his skill set. I still don't think that means we ruined him, though.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Bears brought up Masoli.
    Or any of the other QB transfers they let in... Snead, Brunetti, and Schaeffer just off the top of my head.

vCash
    Wouldn't that be like saying we "ruined" Renardo Sidney? The only thing ruined having to so with Sidney was Stansbury's career.

vCash
    Tyler Russell. Square peg in the round hole that is Mullin's offense.

vCash
    A lot of amazing athletes don't make the pros. That's mostly because of all of the amazing athletes that do make the pros. If you have developed your skills to the greatest extent possible, then it could be that the reason for failure is that you're just not at that level.

Banned
    vCash
    Robert Elliott

vCash
    Quay Evans. Don't believe we "ruined" him, more of he was highly touted and a bust.

vCash
    What else can we contribute to Ole Miss's playbook on how to steer recruits away from MSU?