Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Waverly to become home of MSU Golf

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

Old Waverly to become home of MSU Golf

MSU Golf is set to make Old Waverly the new home for MSU golf after a $2.2 Million renovation and addition of a driving range, short-game area, putting green, team clubhouse and indoor hitting bay. $1.3 Million has been raised thus far between Old Waverly and Bulldog Club.

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle...CLID=209524403
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    OMG!!! THAT IS TREMENDOUS NEWS!!!! MSU is going to have a legit top 25 annual golf team from this move!! HELL YESSSS

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    MSU Golf is set to make Old Waverly the new home for MSU golf after a $2.2 Million renovation and addition of a driving range, short-game area, putting green, team clubhouse and indoor hitting bay. $1.3 Million has been raised thus far between Old Waverly and Bulldog Club.

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle...CLID=209524403
    Wait, didn't the MSU course just invest a lot of money for practice facilities/club house/etc.? Is the university course just getting the shaft?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Wait, didn't the MSU course just invest a lot of money for practice facilities/club house/etc.? Is the university course just getting the shaft?
    Thats what I was wondering...are we about to have two overgrown, vacant courses in town?

vCash
    Phase one was nothing but green work no buildings were built and that was in 2010. Phase 2 was going to be building which sounds like the money was send to Old Waverly instead.
    http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle...CLID=204973237

Yea thats not good news for the MSU golf course.

Banned
    vCash
    Maybe they are using both, ladies get the University course on Monday while the Men get Waverly and on Tuesday they switch type of arraignment. Two teams two courses two practice facilities two club houses etc… This is tremendous news for the MSU golf programs. You can count on two hands maybe one the teams in USA that have amenities like this with a top 100 golf course. Especially for the Women. The US W Open was played at Waverly in 99. That's the equivalent of the NC State Women's team getting to call Pinehurst #2 their home course with their own clubhouse and driving range etc except it's only 20 minutes away instead of 90 minutes away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Maybe they are using both, ladies get the University course on Monday while the Men get Waverly and on Tuesday they switch type of arraignment. Two teams two courses two practice facilities two club houses etc… This is tremendous news for the MSU golf programs. You can count on two hands maybe one the teams in USA that have amenities like this with a top 100 golf course. Especially for the Women. The US W Open was played at Waverly in 99. That's the equivalent of the NC State Women's team getting to call Pinehurst #2 their home course with their own clubhouse and driving range etc except it's only 20 minutes away instead of 90 minutes away.
    They've been flipping between MSU course and Old Waverly for years now. When this is completed, they'll only use Old Waverly because of the amenities that will be at OW. MSU Course will probably just be something for the public/students.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Msu course has been poorly managed the last 4 years or so. I am glad to see this move happen.

vCash
    Will help tremendously with recruiting. Huge factor in recruits minds
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RC3 View Post
    Will help tremendously with recruiting. Huge factor in recruits minds
    Definitely. Especially when you say "the guy who designed our practice facilities is also designing the course for the 2016 Olympics."
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I just think the home course for a recruit, where he will be playing every day while he is in college, is one of, if not the single most important factor in recruiting this sport. Couple that with a quality PGM program and we should be able to clean up with recruits, basically hand picking who we want for the most part
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    So, we get news of a new development that should make MSU one of the best, pre-eminent golf schools in the country going forward and should allow us to decimate a couple of our "rivals" in the sport in a manner that they have NO WAY to counter -- and 3 of the first 5 comments are voicing concern over a different course -- and the possibility that we burned a couple hundred grand on said course recently?

Banned
    vCash
    Not to speak for them but I'm sure they are just concerned for the MSU course because they enjoy playing there. I do as well and certainly don't want to lose that course. We won't lose that course though it is home for the PGM and TGM majors and I'm sure the golf teams will still use it as well plus Old Waverly is a private course so all the alumni coming into town need somewhere to play. Again this is tremendous news for MSU golf. Just this year watching the US Open there was a Tennessee Vol player several UGA players and former LSU player and Alabama just won the Nat Championship. These players give their schools great exposure in the golfing world. Maybe one day we will have the next Jordan Spieth playing at MSU because of this move right here. Good job Scott, MSU, Old Waverly and the two head coaches and whoever donated money for this to happen. I'm pouring a drink for this one!

vCash
    I didn't know this, but the same Bryan for which the Athletic offices are named for also founded Old Waverly. There's your tie-in to MSU

Banned
    vCash
    Juicy Jumbos, come on Ref, lol

Banned
    vCash

Excuse me for not pumping sunshine, asshole

Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    So, we get news of a new development that should make MSU one of the best, pre-eminent golf schools in the country going forward and should allow us to decimate a couple of our "rivals" in the sport in a manner that they have NO WAY to counter -- and 3 of the first 5 comments are voicing concern over a different course -- and the possibility that we burned a couple hundred grand on said course recently?

I simply asked a damn question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    They've been flipping between MSU course and Old Waverly for years now. When this is completed, they'll only use Old Waverly because of the amenities that will be at OW. MSU Course will probably just be something for the public/students.
    Fact is we play at Starkville country club as much as the university. At least the women did.

vCash
    I simply asked a damn question.
    Sensitive much? You're going to be the first to melt over how much we "waste" in the Dudy Noble renovation aren't you?

Keep fighting the good fight. I'm sure LT is proud...

Banned
    vCash

Where did I even oppose this move?

Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Sensitive much? You're going to be the first to melt over how much we "waste" in the Dudy Noble renovation aren't you?

Keep fighting the good fight. I'm sure LT is proud...
    You are the one being a dick. I asked about what was happening with the current course and IN NO MOTHER ****ING WAY ONCE OPPOSED THIS MOVE. Dick.

I guess no one should ask questions and just mindlessly pump sunshine. My ****ing bad.

vCash
    This is great for the golf team. The only concern I have is the one I think 61 mentioned. How do you guys this will affect the quality of the school course that I (non-golf player, student) use. I know that's selfish but that's what I thought about haha. Like I said tho, great for the golf team