Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Waverly to become home of MSU Golf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Exactly. It's common sense really, and it doesn't take math and engineering degrees to understand it.

If a ball is travelling 60-80% as far as it once did, that means it's travelling 60-80% as fast as it once did. If it's leaving the bat at the same speed as purported, then it's deceleration has been greatly decreased, basically making it appear to "speed up" compared to the balls of today. Which stands to reason that this part should be somewhat directly proportional to overall offensive output. Nevermind that it's going to decrease movement on pitches and increase velocity somewhat, which I'll take as a wash for now until we see otherwise.

The bottom line is that a 10-15% increase in offensive output around baseball compared to this year is an asinine number to throw out there based on all the information and data we have at our disposal at this point.
    On the other side of this debate, engie, a return of "60-80%" of the "distance lost" does not necessarily correlate to a similar increase in offensive production. For instance, if the "20 extra feet it adds to a batted ball" is 20' on the end of a 350' hit, that's just a 7% increase in distance. I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding you, but it perhaps bears emphasizing the % increase expected is only of the, "% lost from the switch to BBCOR" not to be applied to, "overall offensive numbers".

If all they are telling us us that the new balls give us 15-20 more feet on a batted ball, it is just speculation on what % impact that will truly have on overall offensive output. The best we can probably do is look at numbers from the pre-BBCOR days, and guess that the offensive production might be close to what is was then. Still a guess, but an educated guess.

So, how much has offensive production gone down since the switch? Are there any other significant contributing factors, such as adjustment to pitching mounds, quality of players, particularly pitchers electing to play college ball, etc?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Honestly, I think you should delete this one and start over. This whole thread is a disgrace that is unbecoming to the news and to MSU, and I'm sorry for my consistent role in it.
    Nothing wrong with my posts on the 1st page. This second page is Spain football though.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Nothing wrong with my posts on the 1st page. This second page is Spain football though.
    1st page was fine....2nd page was a hijack worthy of an award....3rd page is TBD
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    On the other side of this debate, engie, a return of "60-80%" of the "distance lost" does not necessarily correlate to a similar increase in offensive production. For instance, if the "20 extra feet it adds to a batted ball" is 20' on the end of a 350' hit, that's just a 7% increase in distance. I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding you, but it perhaps bears emphasizing the % increase expected is only of the, "% lost from the switch to BBCOR" not to be applied to, "overall offensive numbers".
    I'm saying we will get back 60+% of the production that the BBCOR bats cost us overall. Will is saying we will get back only 10-15%.

If all they are telling us us that the new balls give us 15-20 more feet on a batted ball, it is just speculation on what % impact that will truly have on overall offensive output. The best we can probably do is look at numbers from the pre-BBCOR days, and guess that the offensive production might be close to what is was then. Still a guess, but an educated guess.
    To me, it's almost a direct proportion. If you had X total offensive output before, you added bats that cost you X feet and X exit velocity, and added balls that gave back X feet and Y landing velocity, the total percentage lost should roughly equal where the numbers go. The balls still come off the BBCOR bats slower -- but they carry better and get down faster. Nevermind the percentage of teams that have adjusted their fields to somewhat fit BBCOR standards that should see an increase back to pre-BBCOR numbers now that the porches are shorter, or the likely effect on breaking pitches...

So, how much has offensive production gone down since the switch? Are there any other significant contributing factors, such as adjustment to pitching mounds, quality of players, particularly pitchers electing to play college ball, etc?
    Here's the chart.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseba.../TrendsYBY.pdf

vCash
    Please refer all baseball replies to this thread: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread...-problem/page2
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    We have a new thread for this discussion to continue on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Dawg View Post
    We have a new thread for this discussion to continue on.
    Thanks guys.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash

...or a thread where someone can ask a simple question

Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Can we just have one MSU thread that doesn't turn into a pissing match? I'm all for discussion of different ideas, but it seems we can't without someone making personal attacks/ uncalled for name calling.
    And not always be required to pump sunshine or "frame questions right" so they'll be answered instead of attacked or called out.
    Last edited by FFF; 06-19-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    And not always be required to pump sunshine or "frame questions right" so they'll be answered instead of attacked or called out.
    ^^^This^^^ I get tired of trying to have to wade through that bullshit when people get on their rants and agendas...but I guess if no one else will listen, they have no where else to turn.