Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Thread

Banned
    vCash

World Cup Thread

Brazil got some home cooking today on two calls. First one was a total BS foul called in the box resulting in maybe my biggest beef with soccer, the free penalty shot on goal which almost always gets converted it seems, and it did to give Brazil a tying goal and then Croatia has a goal get called off on another BS foul called on Croatia for fouling the goalie. Brazil goalie initiated all the contact. Pretty shaky start for the home country. 3-1 win for Brazil should of been a 2-2 tie.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Brazil got some home cooking today on two calls. First one was a total BS foul called in the box resulting in maybe my biggest beef with soccer, the free penalty shot on goal which almost always gets converted it seems, and it did to give Brazil a tying goal and then Croatia has a goal get called off on another BS foul called on Croatia for fouling the goalie. Brazil goalie initiated all the contact. Pretty shaky start for the home country. 3-1 win for Brazil should of been a 2-2 tie.
    AT LEAST a 2-2 tie. That PK was huge for Brazil's confidence. But we can't do anything about it now. I will give FIFA credit for one thing, if you mess up a bunch of calls badly, you won't be reffing any more games in the WC. So I wouldn't expect to see that Japanese referee on the field for the rest of the tournament.

In other news, the US will have the largest amount of traveling for our games in Group Stage.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    AT LEAST a 2-2 tie. That PK was huge for Brazil's confidence. But we can't do anything about it now. I will give FIFA credit for one thing, if you mess up a bunch of calls badly, you won't be reffing any more games in the WC. So I wouldn't expect to see that Japanese referee on the field for the rest of the tournament.

In other news, the US will have the largest amount of traveling for our games in Group Stage.
    The penalty shot in soccer is too much of a punishment imo. It's almost always a goal. Scores are so tough to come by that it puts too much influence of the game in the refs hands. Soccer needs to extend the penalty shot out ten or more feet. It is too easy for professional players to convert at its current distance. I also hate the removal of a player for the rest of a match after two yellows or a red card but that's for a different day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    The penalty shot in soccer is too much of a punishment imo. It's almost always a goal. Scores are so tough to come by that it puts too much influence of the game in the refs hands. Soccer needs to extend the penalty shot out ten or more feet. It is too easy for professional players to convert at its current distance. I also hate the removal of a player for the rest of a match after two yellows or a red card but that's for a different day.
    I can understand the red card though. It's HARD to get a straight-red.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I'm ok with both the penalty shot and the red card. The penalty shot is there essentially so that the defending team doesn't just maul people once the ball gets near the goal. They know that if they commit a foul, it's essentially giving a goal away anyway, so there is a huge incentive to play straight-up near the goal.

And the red card is perfectly fine, so long as the match is officiated well. There are definitely certain fouls that deserve to have someone sent off. Again, if there is no threat of a red card, then there's a lack of incentive not to take someone out from behind who has a clear look at goal if you let him go.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm ok with both the penalty shot and the red card. The penalty shot is there essentially so that the defending team doesn't just maul people once the ball gets near the goal. They know that if they commit a foul, it's essentially giving a goal away anyway, so there is a huge incentive to play straight-up near the goal.

And the red card is perfectly fine, so long as the match is officiated well. There are definitely certain fouls that deserve to have someone sent off. Again, if there is no threat of a red card, then there's a lack of incentive not to take someone out from behind who has a clear look at goal if you let him go.
    I understand why they have the rules in place but at least half the time I see a penalty shot called it is the offensive player flopping and the ref rewarding them with the foul call. What it results in is constant flopping within the box and when favorite teams at home are struggling I've seen the ref rewarding them with the call one too many times. Today was just another example in a long list. Brazil should be embarrassed to have to win like that.

vCash
    I get your point, we're in agreement on the diving. The solution to that is simply to have better officials, it isn't to change the rules. If an official is good and can hold his whistle if there isn't a foul and be free to give cards for obvious diving, the problem would be fixed to some degree.

I disagree on the idea that Brazil should be embarrassed. They definitely dominated long stretches of that match and overall deserved the win.

vCash
    I get your point, we're in agreement on the diving. The solution to that is simply to have better officials, it isn't to change the rules. If an official is good and can hold his whistle if there isn't a foul and be free to give cards for obvious diving, the problem would be fixed to some degree.

I disagree on the idea that Brazil should be embarrassed. They definitely dominated long stretches of that match and overall deserved the win.
    And remember, the only goal that was credited to Croatia was an own-goal by Brazil.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    Ok embarrassed is too strong but nervous for sure. They didn't look so hot in the first half.

vCash
    Yeah, they definitely didn't look like Brazil from the Confederation's Cup, and I thought Croatia looked great at times, better than I expected.

Brazil will have to play better than that going forward, but I expect them to. They're too talented, and with that crowd behind them, I think they're going to be borderline unbeatable by the knockout rounds.

vCash
    It's just like pass interference in the end zone getting 1st and goal at the 1. 90+% of the time it gets converted into a TD. In most cases it would have been a TD without the interference so it's fair. In most cases (when the call is a good call) a penalty in the box is to save a sure score so they deserve an almost guaranteed penalty kick.

PS - flopping is unbearable and they should pull more yellow cards for that crap. It would put an end to it quickly.

vCash
    I think "at least half" is a dramatic misrepresentation of penalties awarded being flops. Now, they could dramatically improve officiating by adding more officials. As it is now, one ref has to officiate the game while what amounts to running a half-marathon.

vCash
    Day 2 (6/13/2014):

Matchups

Mexico v. Cameroon 11:00 AM CDT ESPN2

Spain v. Netherlands 2:00 PM CDT ESPN

Chile v. Australia 5:00 PM CDT ESPN2

All games can be viewed on ESPN3.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawghouse View Post
    flopping is unbearable and they should pull more yellow cards for that crap. It would put an end to it quickly.
    I agree. I really enjoy soccer, but all of the dramatic flopping and pretending to be injured really takes away from the game.

vCash
    There is ZERO consistency between officiating crews in these first two matches. What was a yellow yesterday, isn't a yellow today. But one thing that is in common? Blown calls costing goals. Already one bad offside call to take a away a goal from El Tri (Mexico).
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I think Chile is going to make a strong run in the tournament. I think they'll get out of that group over Netherlands, but they're going to need to win it to feel good about going further than that. Because the 2nd place team in that group will face Brazil in the round of 16.

vCash
    Mexico 0-0 Cameroon @ HT

Rain shows no signs of letting up. 5+ straight hours of rain on the field and the pitch seems to be holding up nicely. One of the few positives of the match.

Asshat in the stands has a whistle and is confusing the players on the pitch, I hope he gets taken out for sure.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    The penalty shot is there essentially so that the defending team doesn't just maul people once the ball gets near the goal. They know that if they commit a foul, it's essentially giving a goal away anyway, so there is a huge incentive to play straight-up near the goal.
    Great point. Also, in my limited viewing over the years, it seems like refs usually exercise restraint in awarding them. It seem to me that they could probably call a lot more than they do within the rules.

vCash
    Mexico wins 1-0 (Peralta 60')

Group A standings:

Brazil 3 pts
    Mexico 3 pts
    Cameroon 0 pts
    Croatia 0 pts
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Mexico wins 1-0 (Peralta 60')

Group A standings:

Brazil 3 pts
    Mexico 3 pts
    Cameroon 0 pts
    Croatia 0 pts