Thread: BBCOR

vCash

BBCOR

Do you think it makes it easier for scouts to evaluate hitters since hitters have to actually hit balls on the sweet part of the bat only?

Also, how do BBCOR bats compare to wood?

vCash
    I have always heard that although the sweet spot on a wood bat is smaller (than a BBCOR) - when the ball comes off the sweet spot of a wood bat - it comes off faster from wood.....

I would like to know if anyone else has heard this......Power is power - regardless of the bat, the bat speed is what it's all about. Most SEC hitters have a bat speed of 90+ mph..they measure this at most camps with a radar gun.

vCash
    Easier compared to before? Probably. You have to remember that scouts go to these summer wood bat leagues and evaluate a lot as well and some have college hitters hit in front of them with a wood bat in batting practice sometimes and things like that.

Pretty much everyone I talk to tells me that BBCOR is worse than wood. Unless you are swinging Cajun Swamp specials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    I have always heard that although the sweet spot on a wood bat is smaller (than a BBCOR) - when the ball comes off the sweet spot of a wood bat - it comes off faster from wood.....

I would like to know if anyone else has heard this......Power is power - regardless of the bat, the bat speed is what it's all about. Most SEC hitters have a bat speed of 90+ mph..they measure this at most camps with a radar gun.
    Hijack sort of- MLB is supposed to start tracking bat speed as part of their baseball broadcasts in the very near future. Why they haven't before, I don't know. They've tracked pitcher velocity for years.

I think that might help with the power epidemic because it's going to show kids and college players how fast you have to swing a bat at that level to succeed and hit with power. Sort of like how the radar gun readings have indirectly lead to more pitchers throwing hard and Web Gems on ESPN caused more of a focus on defensive play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Hijack sort of- MLB is supposed to start tracking bat speed as part of their baseball broadcasts in the very near future. Why they haven't before, I don't know. They've tracked pitcher velocity for years.

I think that might help with the power epidemic because it's going to show kids and college players how fast you have to swing a bat at that level to succeed and hit with power. Sort of like how the radar gun readings have indirectly lead to more pitchers throwing hard and Web Gems on ESPN caused more of a focus on defensive play.
    Whats some things to increase bat speed? Think I remember as a kid Greg Jeffries swinging a heavy bat in a pool or something like that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Whats some things to increase bat speed? Think I remember as a kid Greg Jeffries swinging a heavy bat in a pool or something like that
    No lie, I did that for a summer and it definitely helps. Not sure to the extent but it was a noticeable difference for me anyway. As far as wood vs BBCOR I have always preferred wood. BBCOR bats just seem like they're dead to me, even when you hit the sweet spot. Not to mention, I believe wood makes you more selective and more focused on the fundamentals of your swing. Maybe its just a mindset

vCash
    If someone thinks wood has more pop than BBCOR they are an idiot...plain and simple.

A lot of folks are mislead because guys go to rookie or A ball and have more HRs than in college. This is due to the baseball and, most importantly, the fact that the pitching faced at that level is generally below SEC pitching.

BBCOR is the most comparable to wood than any bat used before in college and high school obviously. I personally wish, on the high school level, they should go back to BESR. Much more fair on that level. I a pitcher makes a mistake they should get punished. Right now the long ball has been almost removed from the game and that is not a good thing.

The thing about wood is that it forces a hitter to have their hands in the correct position at contact. Any minor error in mechanics is amplified with wood. The weight distribution also affects this.

vCash
    That was Gregg Jeffries. Swinging a weighted bat or a bat with weights, strengthening your wrists things like that. But much like velocity, bat speed is God given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That was Gregg Jeffries. Swinging a weighted bat or a bat with weights, strengthening your wrists things like that. But much like velocity, bat speed is God given.
    Steve Finley was also big on pool training and swinging underwater.

Banned
    vCash
    I would think strengthening legs and improving flexibility in your hips and even using a leg kick and how you get fully extended with stride and arms would improve bat speed more than strengthening arms and wrists. The muscles in your core and legs are much stronger and bigger in these areas than in your arms and you generate more power from them as well. A strong base and explosive hips will create way more power than popeye forearms. Popeye forearms do help though.

vCash
    Do you think it makes it easier for scouts to evaluate hitters since hitters have to actually hit balls on the sweet part of the bat only?

Also, how do BBCOR bats compare to wood?
    Yes, it helps a lot, because the guys that can really hit, still hit with the new bats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I would think strengthening legs and improving flexibility in your hips and even using a leg kick and how you get fully extended with stride and arms would improve bat speed more than strengthening arms and wrists. The muscles in your core and legs are much stronger and bigger in these areas than in your arms and you generate more power from them as well. A strong base and explosive hips will create way more power than popeye forearms. Popeye forearms do help though.
    Bat speed comes from hands and wrist. No doubt that strong lower body can add to the power but bat speed itself is generated in the hands.

Watch an old clip of hank Aaron swing. A lot of times his back foot may be off the ground at contact so he's not using a whole lot of lower body. His pop came from his ridiculously strong hands and wrists.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Watch an old clip of hank Aaron swing. A lot of times his back foot may be off the ground at contact so he's not using a whole lot of lower body. His pop came from his ridiculously strong hands and wrists.
    Well your plant foot is your anchor. Weight has to come forward, back foot off the ground does not equal power loss.

vCash
    legs and hips give you power, arms and wrists generate bat speed and also add to pop