Thread: Just realized we get to pull for the Fighting Grishams!

vCash

Just realized we get to pull for the Fighting Grishams!

Go Cavs!!!

vCash
    Please tell me UVA has a big time ace

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Please tell me UVA has a big time ace
    Their best pitcher's stats are as follows:

19 LHP Nathan Kirby - 1.73 ERA, 9-2, 104 IP, 65 H, 25 R, 20 ER, 25 BB, 104 K, 1 HR, 0.182 opp. BA.

Two others:

20 LHP Brandon Waddell - 2.66 ERA, 9-3, 98 IP, 87 H, 31 R, 29 ER, 16 BB, 63 K, 5 HR, 0.244 opp. BA.

27 RHP Josh Sborz - 3.04 ERA, 5-4, 71 IP, 51 H, 25 R, 24 ER, 38 BB, 67 K, 4 HR, opp. BA 0.204.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post

19 LHP Nathan Kirby - 1.73 ERA, 9-2, 104 IP, 65 H, 25 R, 20 ER, 25 BB, 104 K, 1 HR, 0.182 opp. BA.

Two others:

20 LHP Brandon Waddell - 2.66 ERA, 9-3, 98 IP, 87 H, 31 R, 29 ER, 16 BB, 63 K, 5 HR, 0.244 opp. BA.

27 RHP Josh Sborz - 3.04 ERA, 5-4, 71 IP, 51 H, 25 R, 24 ER, 38 BB, 67 K, 4 HR, opp. BA 0.204.
    I like those stats and that he's a lefty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I like those stats and that he's a lefty.
    Those stats look eerily similar to Ross's before the Regional. I wonder if he throws soft or fast.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Those stats look eerily similar to Ross's before the Regional. I wonder if he throws soft or fast.
    Couldn't find velocity, but he no hit Pitt (18 k's)

vCash
    He's given up 1 HR in 104 IP and is playing them in TD Ameritrade. You have to like that combination.

vCash

Two others:

Those innings pitched is what we need to be looking to get from our starting rotation. 104 and 98 IP from the top two guys with the third guy throwing 71 innings. I'm not sure we are there yet. It may be another year before we can get Dakota Hudson and Vance Tatum to that point. IMO, those are the two guys that have legit top of a SEC rotation stuff. Problem is, they both threw around 17-20 innings this past year. It is hard to imagine they will make a jump to 90+ innings. 70-75, maybe, but in that case, we really need Trevor Fitts to become an innings eater in the way that Kendall Graveman was for the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Those innings pitched is what we need to be looking to get from our starting rotation. 104 and 98 IP from the top two guys with the third guy throwing 71 innings. I'm not sure we are there yet. It may be another year before we can get Dakota Hudson and Vance Tatum to that point. IMO, those are the two guys that have legit top of a SEC rotation stuff. Problem is, they both threw around 17-20 innings this past year. It is hard to imagine they will make a jump to 90+ innings. 70-75, maybe, but in that case, we really need Trevor Fitts to become an innings eater in the way that Kendall Graveman was for the team.
    I totally agree. Our starting pitching not panning out hurt as much or more than our lack of power or hitting with RISP did. We were forced to move Ross out of the pen where he is better, and then Woodruff and Preston weren't 100%. Luke Laster came out of nowhere to make us respectable. It was a total duct tape job. And it eventually did us in because by the time Ross pitched against ULL, he had broken down.

It just wasn't as noticeable because we had the Yankees bullpen and Butch is willing to not be conventional to win. And even that hurt us in a way because if Lindgren had been able to start and have a year like Stratton, we're all of a sudden a LOT better than what we were as well. That would have allowed us to piggy back Fitts and Holder and then let Ross pitch on Sunday with guys like Bracewell and Laster in reserve.

I agree about Fitts going deeper- and I think he can, it's just that we had to find a way to use Lindgren. That's why I want him to work on conditioning this summer to get ready to carry the load and go deeper. To me, worst case scenario is Fitts/Ross/Laster again. That should take some pressure off of the freshmen to be able to perform now as starting pitchers.

The JUCO guys that we are bringing in are going to give us some variety with arm angles. We'll just have to see who steps up.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    No they don't. That guy Ks way more people and gives up fewer hits than Ross.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    No they don't. That guy Ks way more people and gives up fewer hits than Ross.
    You're right...my bad.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I totally agree. Our starting pitching not panning out hurt as much or more than our lack of power or hitting with RISP did. We were forced to move Ross out of the pen where he is better, and then Woodruff and Preston weren't 100%. Luke Laster came out of nowhere to make us respectable. It was a total duct tape job. And it eventually did us in because by the time Ross pitched against ULL, he had broken down.

It just wasn't as noticeable because we had the Yankees bullpen and Butch is willing to not be conventional to win. And even that hurt us in a way because if Lindgren had been able to start and have a year like Stratton, we're all of a sudden a LOT better than what we were as well. That would have allowed us to piggy back Fitts and Holder and then let Ross pitch on Sunday with guys like Bracewell and Laster in reserve.

I agree about Fitts going deeper- and I think he can, it's just that we had to find a way to use Lindgren. That's why I want him to work on conditioning this summer to get ready to carry the load and go deeper. To me, worst case scenario is Fitts/Ross/Laster again. That should take some pressure off of the freshmen to be able to perform now as starting pitchers.

The JUCO guys that we are bringing in are going to give us some variety with arm angles. We'll just have to see who steps up.
    This is pretty much on point.

We desperately need pitchers to step up and give us a reliable rotation next year. Fitts is pretty solid on Sunday, and Laster should be a good starter next season. We just need one of Tatum, Hudson, or Sexton to step up and end the sophomore starting pitcher jinx. McCord could be a wild card here as well. It's been a while since we had a freshman in the rotation, but McCord is a stud.

I like Preston Brown and Ross Mitchell more out of the pen. Paul Young will probably start out in the bullpen but could move into a starter's role as the year goes on- we'll just need to see how his recovery comes along. Gentry had some good moments as well down the stretch, but he needs to add a go-to pitch when he gets to two strikes to K people with. He had that last year with the over-the-top curveball, but I'm not sure what happened with that. Then there's Houston, Billingsly, Geyer, Mintz, Dominguez, the incoming JUCOs etc. They all have talent, but we'll see how they fit into the picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    This is pretty much on point.

We desperately need pitchers to step up and give us a reliable rotation next year. Fitts is pretty solid on Sunday, and Laster should be a good starter next season. We just need one of Tatum, Hudson, or Sexton to step up and end the sophomore starting pitcher jinx. McCord could be a wild card here as well. It's been a while since we had a freshman in the rotation, but McCord is a stud.

I like Preston Brown and Ross Mitchell more out of the pen. Paul Young will probably start out in the bullpen but could move into a starter's role as the year goes on- we'll just need to see how his recovery comes along. Gentry had some good moments as well down the stretch, but he needs to add a go-to pitch when he gets to two strikes to K people with. He had that last year with the over-the-top curveball, but I'm not sure what happened with that. Then there's Houston, Billingsly, Geyer, Mintz, Dominguez, the incoming JUCOs etc. They all have talent, but we'll see how they fit into the picture.
    Exactly right about McCord. He is every bit of a candidate that Hudson, Sexton, and Tatum are. It would be nice to have someone that is a freshman that can come in and be effective right away which is something we haven't had since Maholm was a freshman.

I don't know how Preston will do going forward, but unless he recovers which I have doubts of at this point, I think he would be better suited for midweek starting. He's a veteran with actually good stuff and he knows how to pitch- but I just don't think he has the body. He's the baseball version of Tobias Smith. He just has trouble recovering after long outings.

if Young doesn't heal up, I wouldn't be surprised if Dakota Hudson ends up being the closer. He hit 99 at Hoover. I'd be more than OK if he becomes a starting pitcher though. Pitch him after Ross and it will look like 115 to the hitter.

vCash

Paul Young is a guy who could do something good, but it is hard for me to go into the season with high expectations on him considering that he is coming off TJS and is a year removed from throwing only 55 innings in JUCO. I think whatever we get from him will be gravy essentially.

To me, the keys to the pitching staff next year are Dakota Hudson, Vance Tatum, and probably to a lesser extent Austin Sexton and Jacob Billingsley, who is a possible high leverage reliever.

vCash
    I think it will be interesting to see how well Lucas Laster pitches in the Cape this summer. He could end up being the guy to lean on in the starting rotation and may be ready for a big jump in innings pitched. I've also though he could be the lefty out of the pen in the Lindgren/Girodo role, but with his experience, it may be more likely to see him in the rotation at this point. I think if he has a knock out summer and starts getting put on some pro scouting lists, you can pretty much count on him being in the rotation. I think I still like Vance Tatum more in the rotation because he has more swing and miss potential as a pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Paul Young is a guy who could do something good, but it is hard for me to go into the season with high expectations on him considering that he is coming off TJS and is a year removed from throwing only 55 innings in JUCO. I think whatever we get from him will be gravy essentially.

To me, the keys to the pitching staff next year are Dakota Hudson, Vance Tatum, and probably to a lesser extent Austin Sexton and Jacob Billingsley, who is a possible high leverage reliever.
    Yes, Young is a wild card at this point, but we're due for something to go right for us sooner than later in baseball, right?

I'm not counting on him either at this point. We'll know more in January since he won't go through the fall scrimmages. More than likely he's a relief guy next year.

vCash
    Yes, Young is a wild card at this point, but we're due for something to go right for us sooner than later in baseball, right?

I'm not counting on him either at this point. We'll know more in January since he won't go through the fall scrimmages. More than likely he's a relief guy next year.
    Does Young have three years to play or just two?

Something else I haven't considered is the possibility that Daniel Brown could move right into the rotation. He threw 71 innings for Tyler JC this past year and averaged over 10 strike outs per 9. He's coming in as a sophomore with three years to play as well. Threw a no hitter early in May against North Arkansas and came close to another no hitter earlier in the year.

I think we have some options going into the fall if everyone stays healthy. Trevor Fitts, Dakota Hudson, Vance Tatum, Daniel Brown, possibly Paul Young, Jesse McCord, Austin Sexton, and Lucas Laster.