Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dudy Noble....All turf?

vCash

New Dudy Noble....All turf?

I saw someone post this on SP, and thought it would make for good discussion....

With all of the new all turf fields we've seen in postseason, and the fact that we added turf to part of our current field....Any chance we go with an entire turf field on the New Dudy Noble? Before we added the current turf I would have said "no chance", but now I feel like it is very likely since so many are going to it.
    I don't like it, but it looks like everyone will have it before long.

Thoughts?

vCash
    I hope not. We're an ag school!

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    I hope not.....our turf program is too good to let us go to a fake turf.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    Please no. ULL's field is absolutely horrible. Baseball is meant to be played on grass and dirt.

Banned
    vCash
    It would be a damn shame if we went all turf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Please no. ULL's field is absolutely horrible. Baseball is meant to be played on grass and dirt.
    There goes another BINGO
    God Bless Our Troops ! (Especially our Snipers)

vCash
    No chance

vCash
    Right now the turf teams sometimes have a little advantage over visiting teams that aren't used to playing on turf. If most teams go to turf and we stay grass do you guys think we would enjoy the same type advantage?

vCash
    I'm hoping for a rule change that requires grass.

vCash
    God no. At least I hope not. Natural grass plays better and looks a thousand fold better IMO. Stay grass. Hell I even hate the turn we have now. If we can afford the upkeep of natural grass, no need to change it

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Right now the turf teams sometimes have a little advantage over visiting teams that aren't used to playing on turf. If most teams go to turf and we stay grass do you guys think we would enjoy the same type advantage?
    We'd hold a huge advantage for recruiting. The best players will want to play on the nicest fields that are the most MLB similar and that means grass and dirt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    We'd hold a huge advantage for recruiting. The best players will want to play on the nicest fields that are the most MLB similar and that means grass and dirt.
    Think above is a very good point. I don't see any chance we go to all turf.

vCash
    We need to have whatever TD Ameritrate has, which is grass. When we rebuild, I'd like the new DNF to be as close to TD as possible. I want us to feel like home when we get to Omaha, plus it's really nice.

vCash
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeck no.

vCash
    Zero chance that'd we'd go to all turf baseball field.

0.00%

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Hell. No.

I don't mind us doing it in the foul areas (although I wish the home plate area was real dirt)- but baseball was meant to be played between the lines on real, natural grass and dirt. Vandy's field is Busch League.

Banned
    vCash
    Baseball is meant to be played on grass and that is why you have seen most MLB team go back to grass. I can only think of the Florida teams with domes right now. I'm not going to do a cost analysis but I bet someone has and figured the sport turf over time is much less because of the maintenance and equipment required for the grass fields.

vCash
    No to turf for me as well. As others have said, TD Ameritrade, Hoover, and also Trustmark Park and the new ballpark in Biloxi all will have grass.

Playing at home on turf does give you an advantage at home- but it also is a disadvantage on the road. Compare how Vandy played us in Starkville vs. Nashville the past three seasons.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    Baseball is meant to be played on grass and that is why you have seen most MLB team go back to grass. I can only think of the Florida teams with domes right now. I'm not going to do a cost analysis but I bet someone has and figured the sport turf over time is much less because of the maintenance and equipment required for the grass fields.
    I'm pretty sure Tampa Bay and Toronto are the only two MLB stadiums with artificial turf- and the Rays are desperately trying to get a new stadium.

vCash
    Seriously...it's just not baseball if it's not played on real grass. If you've watched the games at ULL the past two weeks you know what I mean. The game plays more like softball than baseball when played on turf.