vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Bianco now > Stansbury I guess.
    Yep- he broke thru to the big stage
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Bianco now > Stansbury I guess.
    It didn't take until yesterday. He'd been to the final 16 4 times prior to this year! Not a fair comparison. Bianca's record kills stansbury's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It didn't take until yesterday. He'd been to the final 16 4 times prior to this year! Not a fair comparison. Bianca's record kills stansbury's.
    Well, the Stands Sheep established years ago that making the Sweet 16 in basketball is equal to the CWS- not a Super. It made them feel better I guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Well, the Stands Sheep established years ago that making the Sweet 16 in basketball is equal to the CWS- not a Super. It made them feel better I guess
    Oh...... I see. Both tourneys start w 64 teams. Well basketball 68, and they have "equal" resumes. Uh huh. Yea.

Banned
    vCash
    Really don't want to bring this argument back out again but 10 baseball teams in the SEC made it into the 64. We won't see 10 SEC basketball teams make the NCAA tournament in the same year in our lifetimes. It is more difficult to make a sweet 16 as an SEC basketball team than it is as an SEC baseball team. It just is.

vCash
    That approach has been mostly abandoned since I basically disproved it statistically a couple of years back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Really don't want to bring this argument back out again but 10 baseball teams in the SEC made it into the 64. We won't see 10 SEC basketball teams make the NCAA tournament in the same year in our lifetimes. It is more difficult to make a sweet 16 as an SEC basketball team than it is as an SEC baseball team. It just is.
    So our league sucks. Therefore it should be easier to win games and make the tourney every year like bianco does in baseball....... Didn't happen.

vCash
    Not even mentioning how warm weather teams (south, east and west coast) have traditionally dominated college baseball and post season. It isn't as dramatic today as it was 10 years ago though.

vCash
    I REALLY hope you don't do anything dealing with logic or numbers in the real world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Not even mentioning how warm weather teams (south, east and west coast) have traditionally dominated college baseball and post season. It isn't as dramatic today as it was 10 years ago though.
    And Power 6 teams(plus about 4 midmajors) have traditionally dominated college basketball and the postseason. Running the numbers, there is a remarkable similarity between the numbers of "haves" that advance every single year in each of the two sports. I've run through it in detail before.

The problem a bunch of our fans have is in their inability to look beyond the circumstance of "MSU". Is it easier FOR MSU to make the final 16 in baseball? At this point, sure it is. Because we've built a national power in that sport over about 40 years in every regard. Something we haven't done in basketball. If you ask Duke or Kentucky which is easier, you'll get a different answer.

vCash
    The Big East does this in basketball....so what?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I REALLY hope you don't do anything dealing with logic or numbers in the real world.
    When's the last time the SEC had 10 teams in the NCAA basketball tournament? The argument isn't for a B1G or ACC or Big East basketball team. It's for an SEC basketball team and it is more difficult for an SEC basketball team to make the final 16 than it is for an SEC baseball team because it is more difficult to make the tournament period for the SEC in basketball than in baseball. The SEC is the number 1 baseball conference. 10 of the 14 SEC teams made it this year in baseball. What dumbass logic are you using in your "real world"?

Banned
    vCash
    The Big East does this in basketball....so what?
    The argument isn't about any other conference other than the SEC. It is more difficult to make the tournament in SEC basketball than it is in SEC baseball. Therefore it is more difficult to get to the Sweet 16 for an SEC basketball team than it is for an SEC baseball team.

vCash
    The argument isn't about any other conference other than the SEC. It is more difficult to make the tournament in SEC basketball than it is in SEC baseball. Therefore it is more difficult to get to the Sweet 16 for an SEC basketball team than it is for an SEC baseball team.
    This is just not true, though. The reason the SEC produces more NCAA tournament baseball teams is because there are more good baseball teams in the conference than basketball. I realize this is obvious, but there is nothing inherent about being an SEC basketball team that makes it more difficult to reach the postseason than being an SEC baseball team. It just so happens that the SEC hires better coaches and gets better players in baseball than in basketball.

When evaluating the job performance of any single coach, it still should be evaluated the same way.

If State was as good in basketball as we are in baseball, we would make the postseason more in basketball.

vCash
    I'm not in either "camp", but IN MY OPINION it is MUCH easier to make a sweet 16 in baseball. (Keeping in mind that there is no way to prove either is more difficult, only opinions). When the basketball tourney goes to 4 team pods with the equivalent of a 15/16 seed in EVERY pod, and makes it double elimination in multiple rounds, get back to me. You get one shot in basketball. ULL would have been gone 1st game. It's not as hard in baseball bc you can lose 3 games in the tournament and still win the championship.

Just my OPINION though

Not to mention you could play all the way to the Elite 8 on your home field potentially.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 06-10-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    It makes it more difficult when 10 of the 14 teams have worse than 80 RPIs. The biggest factor the committee uses in determining who gets in is rpi. You're just arguing to argue at this point which is nothing new with you smootness. You'd argue the sky isn't blue and the grass isn't green. It's more difficult to make the NCAA tournament for an SEC basketball team than it is for an SEC baseball team because the league as a whole has shit rpi numbers that pull everyone down.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'm not in either "camp", but IN MY OPINION it is MUCH easier to make a sweet 16 in baseball. (Keeping in mind that there is no way to prove either is more difficult, only opinions). When the basketball tourney goes to 4 team pods with the equivalent of a 15/16 seed in EVERY pod, and makes it double elimination in multiple rounds, get back to me. You get one shot in basketball. ULL would have been gone 1st game. It's not as hard in baseball bc you can lose 3 games in the tournament and still win the championship.

Just my OPINION though
    Excellent points. I haven't even begun with the actual tournament being easier (especially if you have dominate SP), I'm just focusing on the fact it is much much easier for an SEC baseball team to make the tournament than an SEC basketball team at the current conference rankings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

Just my OPINION though

Not to mention you could play all the way to the Elite 8 on your home field potentially.
    How does being double elimination make anything "easier"? You've simply got to win 2 basketball games in 3 days to get there. That's it. There's alot more "15/16 seeds" in baseball that have an ace that can beat you on any given day too...

It's not an opinion thing -- it's math. There is a 16/302 chance of getting it done in baseball -- and a 16/349 chance in basketball. A difference of 0.7% in difficulty.

vCash
    It makes it more difficult when 10 of the 14 teams have worse than 80 RPIs. The biggest factor the committee uses in determining who gets in is rpi. You're just arguing to argue at this point which is nothing new with you smootness. You'd argue the sky isn't blue and the grass isn't green. It's more difficult to make the NCAA tournament for an SEC basketball team than it is for an SEC baseball team because the league as a whole has shit rpi numbers that pull everyone down.
    Still just as easy as it ever was when you are one of the top 40 teams in the country.

The SEC had 9 of the top 32 baseball teams this year... 9 of the 10 that got in played for a regional championship. So, how many top 32(in reality) SEC basketball teams got left out of the tournament? Answer is zero. "Making the tournament" has little to do with making the final 16 anyway. Worthy teams get there. A crappy league doesn't hold them back. Being crappy themselves holds them back.
    Last edited by engie; 06-10-2014 at 04:03 PM.