Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitting

vCash

Hitting

Now that the season is over will anyone be held responsible for our awful bats and approaches this year? Sure we picked it up at the end, but with Pirtle gone we are back to square one. Now I'm not saying fire Cohen, but do we go find a new hitting coach?

vCash
    We better go find people 6 feet or over and more than 175 lbs

Banned
    vCash
    I just cannot understand the logic behind "there will be less HR so I will only try to get singles hitters"... With less power, power becomes EVEN MORE VALUABLE. DOn't tell me it cant be done. Look at freaking ULL and Ole Miss. Cutting down swings because the bats are deader... Damn thats ****ing stupid.

That his logic is "the balls are changing and I want it to happen later so I can recruit for it" concerns me to no end. Go get baseball players. Go get guys that can hit.... Jeez its frustrating with John Cohen a lot of the time on shit thats easy and simple

vCash
    We will automatically get better hitting next year with who we replace folks with. Pirtle maybe not, but Holland will come in and I think can hit .300. Collins the whole year, Hump most of the year,and Brown the whole year next year will raise our BA quite a bit. And for as bad as Vickerson was, he picked it up towards the end of the year and ended up hitting .270. If he can keep that up he's got .280-.290 potential. We should be more powerful next year at the plate and should hit for a much better average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post
    Now that the season is over will anyone be held responsible for our awful bats and approaches this year? Sure we picked it up at the end, but with Pirtle gone we are back to square one. Now I'm not saying fire Cohen, but do we go find a new hitting coach?
    I'm sure Cohen will take responsibility for it, and I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis in the offseason. We won't go out and get a hitting coach- or at least I would be very surprised if we did. Our team was right at the league average (a little bit below) as far as hitting. The problem was we had too many 3 run, 11 hit games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm sure Cohen will take responsibility for it, and I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis in the offseason. We won't go out and get a hitting coach- or at least I would be very surprised if we did. Our team was right at the league average (a little bit below) as far as hitting. The problem was we had too many 3 run, 11 hit games.
    I've got to think that changes next year. Add Holland to the lineup and add more PT from Brown, Hump, and Collins. Plus Swinarski, maybe more Garner, and possibly Rooker too. Think we become more balanced by adding some power. Heck and Holland can go 1-2, If Rea comes back, we can go with some combo of Collins, Rea, and Hump 3-4-5. Then some combo of Brown, Vick, Britton, and whoever our DH is 6-7-8-9. I think that's got a lot of potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Dawg View Post
    I just cannot understand the logic behind "there will be less HR so I will only try to get singles hitters"... With less power, power becomes EVEN MORE VALUABLE. DOn't tell me it cant be done. Look at freaking ULL and Ole Miss. Cutting down swings because the bats are deader... Damn thats ****ing stupid.

That his logic is "the balls are changing and I want it to happen later so I can recruit for it" concerns me to no end. Go get baseball players. Go get guys that can hit.... Jeez its frustrating with John Cohen a lot of the time on shit thats easy and simple
    Well, if you understood baseball and hitting it would probably help you understand that better. Cohen adjusting to the changes in the game offensively are a big reason why we had our run last year.

Ole Miss was not a good hitting team last year. They're good now because they have a ton of experience. They have basically the same team as they had last year.

ULL has the type of team that I would like to have- they can hit home runs and they can play small ball and use speed. They also bunt- so I find it pretty funny that you are using them as an example. Good to see you finally come around though.

We can not ask a guy like Seth Heck, Pirtle, CT to be home run hitters in a big ballpark and expect to have good results. That's what happened to Alex Detz- he stopped hitting line drives and using the whole field, and while his home runs went up a little bit, he wasn't nearly as productive overall.

Banned
    vCash
    They also bunt- so I find it pretty funny that you are using them as an example
    Have you seen us try to bunt. Yeah Cohen would like it too but calling something and watching it fail is not honorable.

That you are comparing our bunting to theirs is funny

Banned
    vCash
    That's what happened to Alex Detz- he stopped hitting line drives
    Cohen finally did his work on Detz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I've got to think that changes next year. Add Holland to the lineup and add more PT from Brown, Hump, and Collins. Plus Swinarski, maybe more Garner, and possibly Rooker too. Think we become more balanced by adding some power. Heck and Holland can go 1-2, If Rea comes back, we can go with some combo of Collins, Rea, and Hump 3-4-5. Then some combo of Brown, Vick, Britton, and whoever our DH is 6-7-8-9. I think that's got a lot of potential.
    I agree. Our young guys need to go off and have good summers and get some at bats. To me, Holland is a little bit safer than most JUCO guys since he played at and had success at Florida State. We need him to basically replace Pirtle. Britton needs to continue to improve- and he made a lot of progress as a hitter this year. Rea needs to come back motivated. We also need Robson to come back healthy. He's better than our fans give him credit for. Seth Heck should be as good or better.

vCash
    Have you seen us try to bunt. Yeah Cohen would like it too but calling something and watching it fail is not honorable.

That you are comparing our bunting to theirs is funny
    You obviously need to look up the definition of the word compare.

Banned
    vCash
    Rea needs to come back motivated to coach our team back to Omaha
    I agree I think his presence around the program will be good for the club

vCash
    Cohen finally did his work on Detz
    Right. Cohen told him to stop doing what was working and do what you said we should- which didn't work. Maybe he was trying to teach you something since he was your favorite player.

vCash
    I agree I think his presence around the program will be good for the club
    Why did you change my quote?

So, you want more power but advocate us making our player with the most power potential a coach?

vCash
    I agree. Our young guys need to go off and have good summers and get some at bats. To me, Holland is a little bit safer than most JUCO guys since he played at and had success at Florida State. We need him to basically replace Pirtle. Britton needs to continue to improve- and he made a lot of progress as a hitter this year. Rea needs to come back motivated. We also need Robson to come back healthy. He's better than our fans give him credit for. Seth Heck should be as good or better.
    I think a lot of people forget Seth Heck was a .300 hitter this year. I think he's a great leadoff guy and even if he stays the same that's a huge help. And totally agree on Holland. .406 BA at CVCC this year with college experience like you said at FSU. Robson is a wild card to me. I don't know what to expect from him next year. He would really shore up some experience/depth issues in the OF that we have next year.

vCash
    That's because we have too many F'n singles hitters and need 3-4 hits to score just 1 run. 12 hits = 3 runs. That's about right for this lineup and why so many of us (you included early in the season) hollered for changes to get a couple more power bats into the lineup. And aGAIN, I'm not necessarily talking HR power. I'm talking power into the gaps and the ability to hit doubles. Screw team BA if all those hits aren't resulting in runs.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Banned
    vCash
    Right. Cohen told him to stop doing what was working and do what you said we should- which didn't work. Maybe he was trying to teach you something since he was your favorite player.
    BB% drops from 17 to 13 percent...

Fly ball% up to 25% from 21

GB% up to 24% from 18

LD% down to 24% from 30%

#Cohening

vCash
    How about this guy for hitting coach?

http://ragincajuns.com/coaches.aspx?...&path=baseball

Robichaux's 2010 contract was only for 120K plus some incentives so you know the hitting coach is affordable.

The two Cajun players I talked to Friday gave this guy sole credit for their offense. I had never heard of him.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    That's because we have too many F'n singles hitters ...and limit our opportunities to get them in by cutting the outs the other team has to make.
    I agree we need to force the opponents to make as many outs as possible going forward

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    That's because we have too many F'n singles hitters and need 3-4 hits to score just 1 run. 12 hits = 3 runs. That's about right for this lineup and why so many of us (you included early in the season) hollered for changes to get a couple more power bats into the lineup. And aGAIN, I'm not necessarily talking HR power. I'm talking power into the gaps and the ability to hit doubles. Screw team BA if all those hits aren't resulting in runs.
    Exactly my point. And on top of it, Rea didn't step up and that was the ONE guy we were counting on for power. Gavin and Humphreys were always wild cards to me.