Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daniel Garner

vCash
    I agree with Todd that Valot and Collins both stay at catcher and DH. The only scenario that would change that would be if we had someone else who could absolutely rake but doesn't have a position so they had to DH. If that were the case and Valot or Collins could play first and do it well, then that would be a good route to go.

vCash
    I think Garner's catching days were over before Christmas. He's been taking pregame at 1st all season.

I just hope we don't end up with too many 1st basemen next year, like a bad church league softball team. Cohen simply won't play guys who can't defend well. It doesn't matter if they hit .400, so I'm interested to see where Garner, Humpreys, and some other guys end up next year, especially if Rea stays.

I just can't see Garner staying, though. I have no inside info or anything. It just seems as though the rumors of his transfer in the spring were true, and then he didn't get many opportunities. Couple that with the big question of where he fits in defensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I think Garner's catching days were over before Christmas. He's been taking pregame at 1st all season.

I just hope we don't end up with too many 1st basemen next year, like a bad church league softball team. Cohen simply won't play guys who can't defend well. It doesn't matter if they hit .400, so I'm interested to see where Garner, Humpreys, and some other guys end up next year, especially if Rea stays.

I just can't see Garner staying, though. I have no inside info or anything. It just seems as though the rumors of his transfer in the spring were true, and then he didn't get many opportunities. Couple that with the big question of where he fits in defensively.
    I agree which this. Too add, at this point offensively, he looks like Wes rea at the same age. Can't read pitches, and hasn't hit any good pitching at all, which was pointed out earlier in this thread as well. I'm not sure why the talk of him coming back gives us another hitter? He certainly hasn't proved it. And he's 2 years into his career. Can he get better? Sure? Will he? I have my doubts and don't think he will do it here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    We've got to find somewhere for Humphreys to play. With the former FSU guy coming in looks to me like he, Heck and Britton will occupy 2B, SS and 3B in some fashion. Only leaves 1B as another starting infield spot and Rea may be coming back plus Garner is there as well.
    As long as Britton is on the team, Cohen is going to start him. At least he will be more qualified than ever next year to do so.

We'll find a spot for Humphreys- the only question is RF/1B/DH?

If Rea comes back, I think Garner will be the odd man out unless Vallot doesn't come on board and Garner wins the DH spot. If Vallot comes, Garner will be our top pinch hitter next year and then will start as a junior at first base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    We have a lot of interesting choices to make with the lineup next year. SS and 2B you have to expect we have a good idea, but it's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the field shakes out. What Rea does and where Humphries fits are going to start some dominoes.

Our hitting potential goes up a good notch if you can have Garner, Humphreys, Vallot, Collins in the middle of the lineup assuming they don't all hit .200
    I agree and that's one reason why I have said that our offense will be better next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMsDawg View Post
    So what is the realistic chance Vallot comes to school? I have been told there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.
    By who? Sevendust? Ask him if he thinks Brandon Woodruff still won't come to school or if Jake Mangum is still going to LSU?

To answer your question- I'd say it's right at 50/50. If he signs a pro contract, he's probably going to cost over the slot value and he won't be an easy sign. It certainly wouldn't shock me if he signs with MLB, but I wouldn't say that there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.

The best thing to do is don't get your hopes up and if he comes to school it's a pleasant surprise. I'm not counting on him showing up until the deadline officially passes, and I consider him a wild card at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post

I haven't heard anything lately about him leaving. At worst he's in line for the first base job as a junior and should compete for the DH spot next year.

vCash
    I'm just not so sure about penciling a DH spot in advance, especially with Cohen. He's going to play matchup with the DH almost no matter what. See Jake Vickerson. There's always going to be a couple reserve players to fill that revolving door. So, even promising a DH spot for a guy like Garner isn't much to offer. That's what 50-60 ABs against lefties only? I don't see how that would appeal to many players who could go elsewhere and start. I also don't see Cohen holding a spot for a guy who can't contribute defensively, unless they can hit .300 in the league. Maybe Garner is capable of playing good defense somehwere.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while.
    Agreed, this is old news. Garner was at 1B back in March.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It certainly wouldn't shock me if he signs with MLB, but I wouldn't say that there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.
    My head just exploded.