Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "MSU fans over-hype Dak"

vCash

"MSU fans over-hype Dak"

This is something I've heard or seen a few times. I got on google and found 17 articles showing Dak love that were written by either national sites/blogs or newspapers other than the CL or any of the GTR papers. The proof is overwhelming. As much as it bothers some people, Dak is getting a ton of love and praise by the media because they see the same potential in Mullen's offense that most MSU fans would say they see. The crazy thing is that we are only in April. By the time Dak speaks at SEC media days and the time leading the kickoff, I don't think its a stretch to say there will be between 30-50 national features showing Dak love being that there is already 17 (that I know of). Just thought I'd point this out since so many pretend like Dak hype is an MSU driven, crack-pot theory.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Who else is ready for SEC Media Days? Only me? Okay.....
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    I totally agree. The whole "dark horse" talk started with Jesse Palmer and Barrett Sallee.

A very large portion of the hype is not coming from MSU fans at all.

vCash
    Let's be honest- we all know that the Dak love isn't going to come from GTR reporters. One in particular has insisted that Dak isn't a Heisman Candidate and that he will vote for Nick Marshall for first team SEC QB. #MLBdraft.

Banned
    vCash
    Any hype is always going to start with the home fan base. That's to be expected. For the first time in history MSU has a QB we all are fully confident in. It's a good feeling to have and gives the team a level of confidence going into a season that's unparalleled in State history. Better this feeling than the teams going into the season with question marks at the most important position on the field.

vCash
    This goes to the prove it theory of college football. People, sometimes the ones that cover your city, look at it that way and report it that way. Been there before and didn't succeed, so why is this time any different kind of mentality. In order for people to truly believe Dak is legit, he has to prove it on the field in the big time moment. We've not had a QB really do that.

As an MSU fan, I'm ok with Nick Marshall being 1st team SEC and a bigger Heisman candidate than Dak and any objective MSU fan should see it that way. I love Dak and think he's gonna do great things for us. But Nick Marshall got the press, the spotlight in the big time games, and is the captain of a very high octane and explosive offense that went to the title game last year. Dak is coming off a 7-6 year that he didn't start and that he missed time for injury for.

I think he's definitely a Heisman candidate. But no one should be pissed if he's not taken seriously because his big time memorable moment was leading us as a 5-6 MSU team to a win against an overrated OM team. He's got to do it on the big stage against an LSU or a Bama or an Auburn or TAMU. I hate to be the jerk here, but that's just how it is. We have to do things on the field to make people in the media respect us. I personally think Dak is underhyped, but I can't fault those who aren't convinced he's legit or think that he's not ready to take us to that next step yet.

Major League Douche RattStevens's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Let's be honest- we all know that the Dak love isn't going to come from GTR reporters. One in particular has insisted that Dak isn't a Heisman Candidate and that he will vote for Nick Marshall for first team SEC QB. #MLBdraft.
    You're darn right! Prescott is marginally better than Chris Relf. Relf beat Florida, Georgia and Michigan. Prescott beat, um, uhhh, exactly. #mlbdraft

Banned
    vCash
    You want to know what the difference between Nick Marshal and Dak is? Dak is a QB who is athletic. Marshal is an athlete in the QB position. Marshal doesn't have near the upside Dak does.

vCash
    We all know this is coming from the land of the bears. They never overhype anybody. Well nobody besides Deuce and every single QB that has ever played since Archie...who was overhyped himself.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    We all know this is coming from the land of the bears. They never overhype anybody. Well nobody besides Deuce and every single QB that has ever played since Archie...who was overhyped himself.
    Paging Jevan Snead....

B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    The words under your username says all you need to know

vCash
    Dak won a big game in OT versus our rival at home. He'll be a fan favorite for years for gutting that out. From a national perspective, he won the game. From someone who actually watched the game, the defense won the game. When you don't give up a TD during regulation or OT, you did your damn job defensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RattStevens View Post
    You're darn right! Prescott is marginally better than Chris Relf. Relf beat Florida, Georgia and Michigan. Prescott beat, um, uhhh, exactly. #mlbdraft
    Is ^^^this^^^ an actual person that claims to be a journalist? Or a troll pretending to act like whoever people are talking about when they use the #mlbdraft hashtag?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Dak won a big game in OT versus our rival at home. He'll be a fan favorite for years for gutting that out. From a national perspective, he won the game. From someone who actually watched the game, the defense won the game. When you don't give up a TD during regulation or OT, you did your damn job defensively.
    This is how it starts. Overcoming an injury to lead your team to a fourth quarter victory in a rivalry game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    THe defense kept us IN the game but without Dak coming in I don't believe there is any way we would have won the game. If you look at the points and yardage he put up with our offense in essentially half a quarter and an OT session it was really remarkable. Our offense with Williams at that point had stagnated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is how it starts. Overcoming an injury to lead your team to a fourth quarter victory in a rivalry game.
    Injury is actually my biggest concern with Dak. He's already had a severe case of turf toe and a separated shoulder. He enjoys contact when running and I am concerned that he will get knocked out for the year at some point. Dak's running style in conjunction with the Scott Field Dead Indian Burial Mound Curse could be our undoing this coming season at some point.

Banned
    vCash
    Agreed. Up until this game, I was not sold on Prescott AT ALL. He was simply another above average runner who missed a lot of throws in big games. But during the Egg Bowl, he HIT those throws, more than a few times successively, and got it in the end zone in the clutch. Game should have been over in the 4th quarter had we had a kicker without his head up his ass.

Banned
    vCash
    ^ This.

vCash
    I've seen the media blowing this up way more than State fans. I think most State fans are just following the lead of the media. In fact, I think I'm much more skeptical of this hype than the media seems to be.

vCash
    I think that State fans are cautiously optimistic. We are excited because we finally have a complete team top to bottom with exception to FG kicker. Every other team in the nation gets pumped about their preseason hype. Why shouldn't we? I haven't heard a single person put State in the NC game. I can't say the same thing for OM when they had Jevan Sneed, Eli, and even Brent Schaeffer.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***