Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Baseball Commit

vCash
    In his interview w Gene, he said the current players introducing themselves on the field highly impressed him. Fla, SCar did not do that to that extent. Of course our fans impressed him. We need to keep it going. Go for the highest rated players.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    He's too big to play a regular position for us- can't be over 5'10/175
    I laughed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    This young man followed me on twitter today and he looks and sounds like a fine Christian man. I'm glad he committed. I would say he will come to school. This class is another top 5 class.
    In the article I linked, it said he wanted to be drafted. That's not to say that he is leaning to MLB, but it's going to be a battle. I wish we had some bag men that could throw around 2 million dollars to these guys so that they could get the 2 M from us and then whatever later on. Of course, the Phillies would turn us in like they did Oregon State.

vCash
    Just like most of them do, they will have to sit down w their parents and talk. The pull of three years education and being a 1st rounder should win out.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    In the article I linked, it said he wanted to be drafted. That's not to say that he is leaning to MLB, but it's going to be a battle. I wish we had some bag men that could throw around 2 million dollars to these guys so that they could get the 2 M from us and then whatever later on. Of course, the Phillies would turn us in like they did Oregon State.
    Having virtually unlimited academic scholarship funds for baseball like Vandy does would certainly help too...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Having virtually unlimited academic scholarship funds for baseball like Vandy does would certainly help too...
    No doubt it would.

Vanderbilt has several commitments in the top 100. It's going to be interesting to see how many of them that they get. Like I said, I'm sure they will get Cease because of his arm injury unless he just takes the minimum slot from someone willing to roll the dice.

I think Cohen and the baseball staff do a much better job of finding funds for players than Polk did. I don't know the exact numbers, but most of our athletic scholarship money goes to pitchers. When there is a shortfall, they try to supplement it with academic scholarships and grants and things like that. We just do it a little bit differently because of our situation. It kind of works two fold because in order to keep their academic scholarship, they have to make good grades, which in turn makes the program look good from an academic standpoint. Because the team makes good grades, it helps us to sell the program to parents.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    No doubt it would.

Vanderbilt has several commitments in the top 100. It's going to be interesting to see how many of them that they get. Like I said, I'm sure they will get Cease because of his arm injury unless he just takes the minimum slot from someone willing to roll the dice.

I think Cohen and the baseball staff do a much better job of finding funds for players than Polk did. I don't know the exact numbers, but most of our athletic scholarship money goes to pitchers. When there is a shortfall, they try to supplement it with academic scholarships and grants and things like that. We just do it a little bit differently because of our situation. It kind of works two fold because in order to keep their academic scholarship, they have to make good grades, which in turn makes the program look good from an academic standpoint. Because the team makes good grades, it helps us to sell the program to parents.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the baseball team have the highest APR/GPA in the SEC? Vandy is right there with us- but I know our players do really well in the classroom too. Sam Frost was the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the year last year.

Those have to be nice selling points when recruiting parents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the baseball team have the highest APR/GPA in the SEC? Vandy is right there with us- but I know our players do really well in the classroom too. Sam Frost was the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the year last year.

Those have to be nice selling points when recruiting parents.
    I know we set a MSU record. I don't know how we compare to Vanderbilt.

Obviously, when you compare to MSU to Vanderbilt to parents and you're talking about education it's hard to pull that off, but it's good to have something tangible that they can see. It also helps with guys that are not being looked at by Vanderbilt as well.

vCash
    Keegan James can swing the bat pretty well. Plays a lot of first and some second for DC. I think he can hit in college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jgunn View Post
    Keegan James can swing the bat pretty well. Plays a lot of first and some second for DC. I think he can hit in college.
    You never know. I remember we recruited Jonathan Holder as an outfielder and then his senior year his hitting declined, but he really emerged as a pitcher. And we know the rest of the story.

vCash
    You never know. I remember we recruited Jonathan Holder as an outfielder and then his senior year his hitting declined, but he really emerged as a pitcher. And we know the rest of the story.
    Very true...This 2015 class is insane...I think Riley will be a two way player, he can make some difficult plays in the field look easy.