Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This baseball team can still go on a run.......

Banned
    vCash

This baseball team can still go on a run.......

....but our pitching and defense is going to have to go ice cold and carry us. Laster will get the ball Wednesday. After that, the weekend rotation at Auburn has to be Fitts, Real Deal and Woodruff. Go with your best and see how far they take us.

The big difference I see between this year and last is that honestly, our pitching is better while our offense is not. Quite simple, right? Well, to take advantage of this and not let it beat us, we have to quit giving up leads before we can get to our relievers. Therefore, let your best guys pitch. Terrible decision to start Brown Sunday, but Cohen admitted it, owned it, so let's move on.

Our hitting is what it is. I'd like to see the lineup stabilized, but it generally doesn't matter. So I say play the seniors in the OF (Armstrong/Bradford/Henderson) and let it fall where it may. DH really seems to be the only leftover piece, ie do you sacrifice Humphreys/Brown/etc.'s bat for Britton's glove? But it still doesn't matter.

Pitching will take us as far as we want to go in this thing. Opposite of last year. If we want to play like UCLA, we need to start playing like UCLA. They didn't have anybody hitting over .300 in their lineup last year. But they had 2 stud pitchers and they played ice cold.

10 games left, let's see what we got. Can we host? Probably not, unless we go 10-0. We may have room for one SEC loss in there. I don't think 18-12 gets it anymore. Need 19-11. Cohen said there was something special in the dugout, well let's see it. Some bad decisions and bad bounces and bad calls cost us the Texas A&M series. But no excuses from this point on.
    Last edited by Goat Holder; 04-28-2014 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    I don't think this team has the Intestinal Fortitude to make a run....

Banned
    vCash
    Maybe not. But Cohen did say he saw something in the dugout. If true, surely they won't lose their nuts because of one bad series. Surely they didn't think the world would be easy due to one little 5-0 run. There's an awful lot of seniors on this team. And while they are not overly talented, they are still solid players who've been in the clutch before. 2011 comes to mind, although I think this team's ceiling is much higher primarily due to pitching.

I just have a weird feeling we'll all be surprised.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    I don't think this team has the Intestinal Fortitude to make a run....
    Hopefully this season is growing pains and lessons learned for the young players.

vCash
    I wouldn't doubt we have a run left. We have had mini runs but they have died out. The bright spot is we are hitting the ball hard and not striking out much. That is a very good sign. We shall see.

vCash
    I cant see us making a run like we did last year. But I can see a good run through a regional. You never know. We are on the cusp and all we need once a regional starts is for a starters to be dominate and our the balls will need to fall our way. I haven't given up on them.
    ?The nose of the Bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go?

vCash
    I would like this: 10 games left (win 6), SECT (go 2-2), get a 2nd seed in regional in Texas (why not? we play well away for some reason). If we are hot in the Regional we can win it.

vCash
    We just have to get in the right Regional. Fitts/Lingo in Game 1 followed by Mitchell in Game 2 gives us a chance. But we can't get sent to some matchbox stadium where the ball flies or we will get smoked. ULL for example.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I haven't given up on this team, but i have no expectations for them.

vCash
    We will go nowhere unless we can find that 1 reliable pitcher outside Mitchell and our bats need to wake up. If we do that I think we have what it takes to make another run to Omaha
    ?The nose of the Bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go?

Banned
    vCash
    Fitts and Woodruff are our only chances to do this. They are upperclassmen, it is time. Give them the ball and let them work. And it appears that both of them are coming around. Woodruff would have rolled along further than he did against A&M if it weren't for errors. Sunday is a good place for him.

vCash
    I'm tired of holding out hope. Our batting average with runners in scoring position is a joke. We have to piece together a staff to get us through the weekend. Our starting pitching gets off to a bad start nearly every game and we are down early. Things would have to drastically change with a lot of our players for us to make a serious run at anything. I think reality may hit them and us this weekend on the Plains.

Banned
    vCash
    How did you feel last season? With 10 games left at this point last year, we were 33-13, but 10-11 in the SEC.

vCash
    Last year at this time we had just gotten swept by Vanderbilt. We didn't have our now infamous turnaround game in Oxford until the next to last week of the regular season.

As Goat said, we had 33 wins at this time last year as well. This year we had a tougher OOC schedule and instead of sweeping Purdue and Samford we lost two games to Cal- Santa-Barbara and one to Arizona. We also lost a game to Hofstra this year to rainout which I doubt we will make up and we replaced Hofstra with Western Carolina who beat us once with the National Pitcher of the Week for week one. And we lost to Memphis this year. You can switch some things around a little bit with the teams- but basically the conclusion is we did better OOC last year than this year.

A lot of people blame the hitting. Which is no doubt worse than last year, but I think the difference might surprise people a little bit. Last year we finished at .293. This year we are at .275. Two weeks ago, our team batting average was .260 or so. Of course the power numbers are down. If some of our players didn't have their head up their ass early in the year, our hitting stats would be even better.

The pitching numbers for ERA- last year we were at 2.79 and currently we are at 3.30.

Goat is right that pitching Preston was a mistake in hindsight by the coaching staff. We just need to shut him down and then get him ready for next year. And because of his durability or lack thereof he probably fits in best at midweek. We need to let Fitts go deeper. His ERA is 2.17 in SEC games. I think he can consistently give us 6-7 innings. Ross needs to stay, but I think he needs to mix up his pitches a little bit better. Woodruff needs to be the Sunday guy. We need to use him like we used Fitts- for 3-4 innings and then go with Lindgren at the first sign of trouble and follow up with Holder.

I'm not too upset with how we played from an effort standpoint- which was the issue in the Ole Miss series. That's not to say that the effort was 100% like it should be all the time from everybody- but just in general. We should have won the Texas A&M series- but we had some BS happen that I anticipate won't happen going forward. It's going to be tough going forward, but 5-4, 6-3 is realistic. We probably will lose the Alabama series, probably win the Tennessee series, and then we will probably lose the Auburn series. I'm hopeful that we will at least win one of the road series. Our team needs to be shooting for winning the road series and sweeping Tennessee. That's a 7-2 SEC finish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    I'm tired of holding out hope. Our batting average with runners in scoring position is a joke. We have to piece together a staff to get us through the weekend. Our starting pitching gets off to a bad start nearly every game and we are down early. Things would have to drastically change with a lot of our players for us to make a serious run at anything. I think reality may hit them and us this weekend on the Plains.
    We just have to take it one game at a time. We only have one midweek game left- and that will help the pitching staff a little bit going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We just have to get in the right Regional. Fitts/Lingo in Game 1 followed by Mitchell in Game 2 gives us a chance. But we can't get sent to some matchbox stadium where the ball flies or we will get smoked. ULL for example.
    I totally agree.

vCash
    History my friends is why we will make a run. Count on it.

Banned
    vCash
    Why not look at 2012 for a more apt comparison?

Shitty hitting, no power, shitty coaching.

OBP
    2012- .358
    2014- .372

SLG
    2012- .333
    2014- .337

I said early on this is going to be 2012 all over again. Wouldn't surprise me to go down to Tallahassee and get waxed with dumb coaching just like 2 years ago.

Banned
    vCash
    Because 2011 is a better comparison. That 2012 team was very young and only really had one true pitcher. 2015 will be more like 2012. We've got a lot of JUCO upperclassmen and seniors, just like 2011. Top averages are similar. Pitching is similar, but better overall, and with no true stud.

You are really off base on the shitty coaching part. It's gotten old.

We are on the same track, only better. This team is better than the 2011 team, and the 2015 team will be better than the 2012. Then 2016 will be comparable to 2013, only better yet again.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    What we're missing is a 5-tool player...