Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Cohen should be dubbed "the recruiter"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    I too thought it was wrong to bunt there, but I imagine JC may have legitimately figured we had a decent chance to score the remaining innings against Mizzou pitching.
    It was wrong to bunt there, but after that Cohen pulled Collins from the game. I'm guessing there might have been a missed sign because as much as we bunt, it's pretty unusual for even Cohen to bunt when behind like that. Plus, it's pretty unusual to take your catcher out of a game in the middle like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I second this.

The constant bitching about everything that goes wrong gets obnoxious after a page or two.
    I third this... Unless Will can prove he has played baseball on any level higher than high school..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Damn, here we go again. You say average, please! Les Miles, surely you jest Will James! You are so out of it, there is more to just managing a game, like recruiting, hiring good coaches, discipline players, damn I ain't gonna say anything else cause you always come back with some stupid excuse or reply!

Average coaches are not Cohen and especially Miles!
    Honestly, I think Miles is crazy but if won us some NC, I'd be OK with that.

A lot of times in baseball the unconventional coaches are the most successful. We wouldn't have made it as far as we did last year if we don't piggy back our rotation. Most managers would have never done that. Bertman was unconventional. LaRussa was unconventional. Casey Stengal was unconventional.

This is really funny to me. We have fans that say that Cohen can't recruit because of our JUCO guys and now we have fans that say all Cohen can do is recruit.

The reality is it takes a good baseball coach to:

1. Overcome the loss of four pitchers to injury.
    2. Deal with a team that has had their back patted after making the NC round.
    3. Deal with losing a first round pick and several other players who were outstanding leaders- and have the captains of the current team struggling in the field at times. (Bracewell and Rea)
    4. Realize mid SEC season that you have to change how you are doing things- and then actually implement it and succeed (so far).

ALL of that has happened to us this year. And yet here we are 2 games outside of first place in the SEC with an outside chance to host a regional and look to be a solid 2 seed in the tournament if we keep playing well.

vCash

Agreed.....Just because we don't always agree with him should not be cause

for bannination, imo. He knows his baseball. He's just opinionated but then again isn't that what boards are for?

vCash
    I agree Todd, we lost our two best hitters, two good catchers, two good pitchers and Detz and Rea aren't as good as last year, it's pretty much a rebuilding year.

I think the pre-season having us way over-rated has made some of our fans hostile this year. Like you say we are 10-8, won four series so for with a chance to finish on the plus side in wins in the conference is good, not bad.

No doubt Cohen makes head scratching decisions but it's what he believes and if you don't trust or believe in your coaching decision's you want last long regardless of the sport in the SEC! Yes,we are winning ugly but I like it better than losing!

Been following Msu baseball lot longer than most on here, I just would love to see Cohen win the CWS, we've been close a few times but none closer than last year!

#HailState!

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    for bannination, imo. He knows his baseball. He's just opinionated but then again isn't that what boards are for?
    No he does not know baseball. He knows HIS baseball which is played with a calculator.

vCash
    The same mentality that decides to bunt so much is the same mentality that has us scratching and clawing to come back from 3 down in extras and 2 down in the ninth to win on consecutive a weekends.

I don't agree with the down 3 bunt today but his approach to the game consistently works with his guys and it consistently has us playin well at the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    One thing about baseball- no matter is you are small ball, long ball, or moneyball- 27 guys are going to make outs. So, going into a game, you are automatically guaranteed to screw up 27 times.
    And Will bitches about every single one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Will you should be banned from all baseball discussions.
    Man, you love to ban people. It's just his opinion and frankly, it's an opinion that makes a lot of sense. I went to MLB game day and they had runners at 1st and 2nd with no one out and they didn't bunt. And it was a tie game. I didn't know that was allowed.

Following the game on twitter, I wondered out loud why we brought in Gentry over Bracewell. Next thing I know, bases clearing double. And we see what Humphrey's can do. It's such a shame his AB's have been limited to this point.

vCash
    Collins was taken out BC he was plain tired, caught 2\12 games. Humphreys MUST bat every game in some capacity, someone tell Cohen. Keep Rea on bench until he comes completely out of it. Leave Hendu on beach too most of game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Collins was taken out BC he was plain tired, caught 2\12 games. Humphreys MUST bat every game in some capacity, someone tell Cohen. Keep Rea on bench until he comes completely out of it. Leave Hendu on beach too most of game.
    I think it's pretty clear to everyone but Cohen that our every-day lineup needs to be:

1. Brown, LF
    2. Detz, 1B
    3. Pirtle, 2B
    4. Collins, C
    5. Humphrey's DH
    6. CT, CF
    7. Armstrong, RF
    8. Heck, SS
    9. Britton, 3B

Doesn't have to be in that order, but that should be our 9 every game no matter if the pitcher is righty or lefty.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Man, you love to ban people. It's just his opinion and frankly, it's an opinion that makes a lot of sense. I went to MLB game day and they had runners at 1st and 2nd with no one out and they didn't bunt. And it was a tie game. I didn't know that was allowed.

Following the game on twitter, I wondered out loud why we brought in Gentry over Bracewell. Next thing I know, bases clearing double. And we see what Humphrey's can do. It's such a shame his AB's have been limited to this point.
    No I really don't. You're just pissed because I banned your punk ass. Probably should have been longer it was nice with you not around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    No I really don't. You're just pissed because I banned your punk ass. Probably should have been longer it was nice with you not around.
    my "punk ass"? I can tell you are a real winner.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    my "punk ass"? I can tell you are a real winner.
    As can I, you.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I agree with Nox. He should stay.

#Our****
    I agree... I don't think anyone should EVER be banned for stating their OPINION! That's what message boards are for.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Relax. Will isn't getting banned. He doesn't know shit about baseball and whines incessantly but that's no reason to ban. Some of you guys get freak out when the "ban" word comes out. I said he should be banned from baseball threads. It was a joke....kinda

vCash
    His only issue is that he sees it too black and white...

The primary situation he was pissed about today -- I agree 100%...

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Oh I agree too. Thought it was stupid to bunt when we did. But...did Collins get yanked for missing a sign or taken out for rest? I don't know. That being said Will just goes overboard when everyone knows what he's about to post. So predictable.

Banned
    vCash
    Will is good at stats. But he has no clue what the stats really mean or the story that they tell. He also is clueless on baseball beyond the stats. For instance, regardless of what the stats say, you shouldn't pitch Will Cox Tuesday night because he isn't healthy. Stats be damned, he just had Tommy John. Things like that go straight over the dumb sumbitch's head.