Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leo Lewis commits to Alabama

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I respectfully disagree. When you are a Mississippi kid and your in state schools offer the same opportunities, it is very disappointing.

Remember, the reason Bama is good is because they get kids like Leo Lewis to go there. There is no magical water in Tuscaloosa. It is all about players.
    I have no respect for a player who chooses to play out of state when he has the same opportunity at an in state school. It's his decision, not mine but I just simply don't respect it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post
    Or kids choose Bama because they have a better chance of making it to the nfl. .
    Wow- no wonder you are a Stands fan

They dont have a better chance at Bama. Bama recruits top 10 classes each year- thats why they put more in the NFL.

Brandon Heavens, Damien Robinson, Chris Smith, Mike Henig, and guys like that- playing at State is not why they arent in the NFL- they arent and wont make the NFL because they dont have the talent. On the flip side of that- Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, Trent Richardson, etc are still NFL players if they come to State. Going to Bama didnt help those guys anymore than them going anywhere else. They are supremely talented athletes that were NFL bound from the time they were 13 years old and all you had to do was not **** them up
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    No, your argument is flawed. As Coach said, some kids may actually hurt there draft stock going to Bama rather than going somewhere else. Some kids get buried on the depth chart there, where they may actually be stars somewhere else. Bama signs 4 and 5 star classes every year. We sign 2 and 3 star classes every year. Do you seriously not see the connection with why Bama has more in the NFL. If Bama signed our class from this past year, you wouldn't see any more of those getting drafted from there than you will see get drafted from here.
    All of this back and forth keeps leaving out the fact that a kid chooses.

The kid chooses for a reason. It's not a coin flip. Kids don't choose their future on a whim. They look at Bama and see a better future. And they are not all ignorant.

We an argue the shoulds and maybes all night but at the end if the day the kid chooses Bama. For a reason.

vCash

The kid chooses for a reason. It's not a coin flip. Kids don't choose their future on a whim. They look at Bama and see a better future. And they are not all ignorant.

We an argue the shoulds and maybes all night but at the end if the day the kid chooses Bama. For a reason.

You are right that kids choose for a reason. That reason could be complete bullshit, but if the player believes it, that's their reason.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash

You are absolutely correct. Kids choose Bama for a brighter future. A brighter college future that is. They're not choosing bama because they are hoping to get to the NFL. They are picking Bama because they are the best collegiate program and they have a good shot at winning a national championship. If they pick state, they have just as good of a shot at the NFL, but nowhere near the shot of a championship. You really can't grasp that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

They dont have a better chance at Bama. Bama recruits top 10 classes each year- thats why they put more in the NFL.

Brandon Heavens, Damien Robinson, Chris Smith, Mike Henig, and guys like that- playing at State is not why they arent in the NFL- they arent and wont make the NFL because they dont have the talent. On the flip side of that- Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, Trent Richardson, etc are still NFL players if they come to State. Going to Bama didnt help those guys anymore than them going anywhere else. They are supremely talented athletes that were NFL bound from the time they were 13 years old and all you had to do was not **** them up
    Exactly. Alabama is simply getting more four-five star type guys, and they're getting the guys that by and large don't have character issues like Nkemdiche.

If we were getting about 5 five star, 15 4 star, and 5 three star type guys every year we would have about the same results on the field as they are having.

But coming to MSU is not going to hurt anyone's draft status. Dan is a good coach and good developer of talent. So, if you have elite talent and come to MSU you are going to be just fine. Derek Sherrod, Jonthan Banks, Fletcher Cox, Darius Slay, and now Gabe Jackson and in the future Chris Jones, Benardrick McKinney, Bear Wilson, Dak, and others will soon follow.

The difference is we have to take more guys that are raw and projectable and coach them up and develop them moreso than Bama has to.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We don't sign 2 and 3 star classes. We sign 3 and 4 star classes. Can't stand when MSU skew the facts to make us look worse.

have you guys noticed how we do that?
    Yea, we have started to now. But why don't you go back and look at the classes that would be graduated by this point. Before 2010, our classes were littered with 2 stars. Even in 2010 and 2011 which will be RS Seniors and Juniors this year.

My post could have been worded better, but the point was clear.

vCash
    Kids don't just go to Alabama because of the NFL. You go to Alabama because Alabama plays legitimately meaningful games in November and after. I just refuse to find fault with a kid that chooses to sign with college football's most storied program, where they are guaranteed (at least lately) to get at least an SEC Championship ring if not more. If you can go to the NFL from either place, I get why a kid would go to the school that provides all those other benefits, especially if they didn't grow up a State fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    You are right that kids choose for a reason. That reason could be complete bullshit, but if the player believes it, that's their reason.
    One thing about Bama and Saban- I have to wonder how much longer he is going to be there. He's one of the older coaches in the SEC. I'd hate to go to Bama to play for Saban and then end up with Lane Kiffen as my head coach.

Similar to what happened after the Bear retired and then passed away. The guys that played for Bama in late 80's ended up being 7-8 win type teams playing in front of a bunch of nutso fans that all wanted the Bear to return from the grave. They never did come back until they brought Saban in 30 years later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    One thing about Bama and Saban- I have to wonder how much longer he is going to be there. He's one of the older coaches in the SEC. I'd hate to go to Bama to play for Saban and then end up with Lane Kiffen as my head coach.
    It will be a cold day in hell before Lane Kiffin is the head coach at Alabama, Todd. Ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Kids don't just go to Alabama because of the NFL. You go to Alabama because Alabama plays legitimately meaningful games in November and after. I just refuse to find fault with a kid that chooses to sign with college football's most storied program, where they are guaranteed (at least lately) to get at least an SEC Championship ring if not more. If you can go to the NFL from either place, I get why a kid would go to the school that provides all those other benefits, especially if they didn't grow up a State fan.
    There is no guarantee on that. If you played in the late 90's and chose MSU over Bama- our players probably played in as many if not more meaningful games than the guys that went to Bama. Things can and will change in the sports landscape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    It will be a cold day in hell before Lane Kiffin is the head coach at Alabama, Todd. Ha
    Maybe- but as of right now he's the most qualified guy on their staff to keep thing going like they are.

vCash

All the arguments in the world can be hashed forever. At the end of the day the kids choose Bama. And not for Bamas sake. I guess they are all just dumbasses. Except the 60 or more that are currently playing in the nfl. They picked Bama cause roll tide sounded cute and just lucked up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    I have no respect for a player who chooses to play out of state when he has the same opportunity at an in state school. It's his decision, not mine but I just simply don't respect it.
    Then you're a tool.

We shouldn't allow our fandom to cloud our minds from the realization that each person will make their own decision for all kinds of reasons, and chances are that we'll never know what those reasons all are. Going to an in-state school is no more noble or good than leaving the state. It is each kid's decision, it is a big decision, and it has no bearing on us. Frankly when I take a step back I have to scold myself for becoming so personally invested in it. Who are we to say where a kid should or shouldn't go, or to give that kid respect or not for his decision?

I assume, then, that you have no respect for a guy like Dak Prescott?
    Last edited by smootness; 04-19-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Jesus it's April

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Kids choose Bama for a brighter future. A brighter college future that is. They're not choosing bama because they are hoping to get to the NFL. They are picking Bama because they are the best collegiate program and they have a good shot at winning a national championship. If they pick state, they have just as good of a shot at the NFL, but nowhere near the shot of a championship. You really can't grasp that?
    So what you are saying is that five star players have no interest in their future past college. And the college they choose - the college responsible for developing them for the next four years - is only of interest for the trophy that gives them no monetary value? These five star players are not concerned at all with what will give them the best opportunity to be financially stable and provide for their family down the road? You are saying that all this unionization talk is not about money? These five star players with the highest potential to play in the NFL? They don't think at all about the NFL when choosing a college?

Now that you put it that way it makes even less sense. I'm glad you made it clearer.

vCash
    All the arguments in the world can be hashed forever. At the end of the day the kids choose Bama. And not for Bamas sake. I guess they are all just dumbasses. Except the 60 or more that are currently playing in the nfl. They picked Bama cause roll tide sounded cute and just lucked up.
    They choose Alabama, in part, because all the evidence points to the fact that Alabama puts more players in the NFL. Therefore, it's a much easier decision to say, 'I want to play in the NFL, so I'll choose Alabama' than it is to say, 'I want to play in the NFL, so I'll choose Mississippi State'. That does not mean that playing for Alabama gives you a better chance of playing in the NFL. Now, if you're playing for Alabama, chances are pretty good that you are very talented because they only take very talented players. So in that sense, you may have a better chance, but for each individual person, your talent level is going to be the same no matter where you go, and if you're good enough the NFL will find you.

Alabama does spend more on facilities, coaching staff, and in other areas, but they don't do it better necessarily because of this. I promise you Gabe Jackson's draft stock wouldn't be higher had he gone to Alabama, same with Benardrick McKinney. And I promise you CJ Mosely's stock wouldn't be lower if he had come to State. You'd be a fool to think that, and that alone proves that it doesn't matter so much where you go.

What does make a difference, as Coach pointed out, is that Alabama will probably be more successful while you're there because they are bringing in more talented players like yourself. But I guarantee you that if we had switched our last 4 recruiting classes with Alabama's, it would be us churning out 1st round pick after 1st round pick, not them. Again, you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    The first thing anybody has to do is forget thinking like a 30-45 yr old man. Ain't a damn one in that category ever got to pick a college to go to. I'd venture to say that 99.2% of all the assclowns on this board didn't have a fn clue what to do when they were 17-18 yrs old. The kids are gonna do things that are inexplicable just like they are going to make the "obvious" choice. Until we start winning some championships we ain't the "obvious" choice. It doesn't matter what any of you argue.

vCash
    So what you are saying is that five star players have no interest in their future past college. And the college they choose - the college responsible for developing them for the next four years - is only of interest for the trophy that gives them no monetary value? These five star players are not concerned at all with what will give them the best opportunity to be financially stable and provide for their family down the road? You are saying that all this unionization talk is not about money? These five star players with the highest potential to play in the NFL? They don't think at all about the NFL when choosing a college?

Now that you put it that way it makes even less sense. I'm glad you made it clearer.
    Of course they think about the NFL. But a high-school kid believing Alabama gives him the best chance of playing in the NFL because they send more kids to the NFL doesn't make it so.

It's seen as the safer option.

But if you believe what you're saying, then you must believe that if kids like Fletcher Cox care about the NFL and still choose State over Alabama, they must be stupid. Is that what you're saying?

vCash
    What is most surprising to me is that with all of the bad things that happened to Jimmy Johns while he was in the Bama program that he is still a big supporter of theirs and would be influencing kids to go there. I would have thought he would have washed his hands of the Bammers long ago. They pretty much washed their hands of Johns.