Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB nation/Godfrey article

vCash

SB nation/Godfrey article

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...-man-interview

buddy on mine(om fan) just texted me this, pretty cool read..let me know if the link works..Uploading for the cellular device

vCash
    Should we all speculate now who the guy is and what school he represents or later?
    Maroonandwhitenation.com
    @JustinStrawnMWN

vCash
    Im gonna say that all 14 schools have numerous guys like the one interviewed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassOfDWS View Post
    Should we all speculate now who the guy is and what school he represents or later?
    That's easy. He represents all 14 of us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedawg View Post
    Im gonna say that all 14 schools have numerous guys like the one interviewed...
    Yes they do. And the people who claim their school is super squeaky clean are as delusional as they come or just flat out lying.
    Maroonandwhitenation.com
    @JustinStrawnMWN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cristilmethod View Post
    That's easy. He represents all 14 of us
    I see what you did there. I just want to laugh at people on each school's message board when they start saying the guy is this dude from that school. That will be fun to watch.
    Maroonandwhitenation.com
    @JustinStrawnMWN

vCash
    it gets harder and harder to not get disillusioned with college athletics. we have like 5 of these guys. bama and lsu and auburn have 100.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassOfDWS View Post
    Yes they do. And the people who claim their school is super squeaky clean are as delusional as they come or just flat out lying.
    Yep, completely agree. It happens everywhere, and its not going to stop anytime soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    it gets harder and harder to not get disillusioned with college athletics. we have like 5 of these guys. bama and lsu and auburn have 100.
    I hardly ever agree with you, but on this you're spot on

vCash
    I would like to be a bag man for MSU. Where do I sign up for this?
    ?The nose of the Bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go?

vCash
    Here's the big question in all of this? How many more games will Redmond be suspended after Bracky picks himself up off the floor after reading this article?

vCash
    Author is a grad of Ole Miss and lives in Nashville. I think we can safely assume the bagman he interviewed was not from MSU or LSU.

vCash
    There was an instate rival. It is Bama/Au or Ut/Vandy. That is all it could be. My money is bamer. Vandy doesnt have the #1 player at any position visit and Id say it is rare that UT does either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    There was an instate rival. It is Bama/Au or Ut/Vandy. That is all it could be. My money is bamer. Vandy doesnt have the #1 player at any position visit and Id say it is rare that UT does either.
    Could easily be Ole Miss, with us being the school with the "asshole down south" who he believes tried to set him up. That would make sense, given this bagman seemed to feel he could trust Godfrey to keep his identity secret. And we know Ole Miss did have the #1 player visit them, in fact more than one #1 at his position. He also says they were sure they couldn't get him, but paid anyway to project the image and get a rep that could help them with other recruits.

I have a hard time believing any SEC school's bagman would give this kind of all-access to a graduate of Ole Miss, unless it was somebody who knew and trusted Godfrey 100%. I say it's Ole Miss' bagman.

vCash
    Regardless of who the bagman is.... what a great article. Props to Godfrey. It would be easy for him to paint the whole process as "evil", but he does a good job of presenting both sides of the story.

I love the ending with the Bartender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    +1. And by that I mean if I ever have any disposable income, I'll gladly become a bag man.

ETA: It's sad when you realize that this is what's putting a choke hold on college athletics to a point. Sure, MSU is as good or better than it's ever been, same for the SEC, but as a general sports fan it sucks. We have 5 (for the sake of conversation, who really knows) and LSU and Alabama have 100, but USM has 0.... And there's a clear drop off of USM's on the field productivity from when this was at least a tame process. It's full blown, and you can point to USM and say "this is exactly when this ritual got out of control."

USM is another hypothetical. It can be any other non-AQ that peformed well from the time the BCS started to now.
    Last edited by esplanade91; 04-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    The existence of this stuff is why changes in benefits at the college level are necessary. Putting rules disallowing almost all benefits just pushes them underground and into the hands of seedy individuals who do get money for their "rap label" or whatever because they have influence with a 16 or 17 year old kid.

All this stuff needs to come above board. He's right about "if you cap it at $40K, somebody else will pay $40K..." to a point, but schools, boosters, and bagmen only have so many resources and so much willingness to give.

What world does that put us in? Probably one where MSU, UM, and other smaller schools are second tier. Well, guess what. We already are. The Alabamas, LSUs, and Florida States of the world out recruit us because their players get more benefits now both allowed and not allowed. Why not just live in a world where the kids get what they get according to manageable, enforceable rules instead of under the guise of amateurism and under the table dealings?

The world of college athletics is going to change significantly over the next 10-15 years. We should all be working to figure out how to make that a positive change rather than fighting to keep it the same.

vCash
    Godfrey is the only rebel I think that is welcome here. That guy is awesome.

Banned
    vCash
    Good read. Prolly om Bagman. I think the jab about paying croots not to visit was a jab at us since they always accuse us of that

vCash
    I think this is a propaganda piece disguised as a well written article.

The reason I say it's a propaganda piece is because when you have an article like this, now you can say "see- everyone is doing this. This is how is works." He does this by saying that the bag man is from an anonymous school, although there are clues that this bag man is most likely from Ole Miss, and we know that the writer has sympathies to Ole Miss, so again more than likely he would have the potential to most likely access a bag man from that school as opposed to say, Auburn.

When you put out something that says that "everyone is cheating" then what happens is it curbs accusations of cheating because then people believe that their school also has a smoking gun somewhere, and I think this also may encourage someone to get into the recruiting game and then what may happen is you have a situation similar as to what happened to Political Hack. Someone may naively assume that it's all good in the underworld of recruiting and then something happens that gets the person into trouble.

Ole Miss wants things to run as smoothly as possible in the underworld of recruiting- and when people don't speak up about it, it hurts their efforts. It's very interesting to me that this comes out not during 2011, not when they were recruiting Nkemdiche, but a year where we have the lead for most recruits in the state of Mississippi.

The other thing is if there is one thing that Ole Miss is proud of, it's their recruiting system. There was nothing in the article that I haven't heard Ole Miss fans brag about in the past. Finding a player's Mother, uncle, friend- AKA "champion", using high school coaches loyal to them, talking about high schools that are sympathetic to them, etc. So this article coming from an Ole Miss person isn't surprising at all.

The one thing I found funny was the part about their bag man being sworn to secrecy and not talking about being bag men. Yeah- see Scott Lindsey. However, I guess they learned a lesson after that after he was exposed during the Army AA debacle.