Thread: Would you rather keep our schedule as it is

vCash

Would you rather keep our schedule as it is

Or swap one team around so that both Alabama and LSU are not both road or home games in the same season? I almost think it would be nice to have at least one of those a home game every season and it would be worth it to play one of our other west teams on the road on the even years to make that happen.

vCash
    I may be in the minority, but I actually like playing Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss all at home the same year. I think it gives us a better chance of catching lightning in a bottle that way.

vCash
    I'd rather switch it so one is home and the other is on the road. We don't generally win those games anyway, but we'd have a better chance each year of winning at least one of them if they weren't both road games every other year.

I don't think it really helps us catch lightning in a bottle to have them all at home in alternating years, or at least it hasn't played out that way. Those years are generally our worst years because we lose some of those home games, then have to play our easier games on the road.

vCash
    The problem has been our best teams have been in even numbered years when we play them away. If we had Bama and LSU at home this year- I'd say we had as good of a chance to win the West as anybody
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The problem has been our best teams have been in even numbered years when we play them away. If we had Bama and LSU at home this year- I'd say we had as good of a chance to win the West as anybody

agreed

vCash
    Do you think they were our always best teams or it just seemed that way some years because we played most of our toss up games at home?

vCash
    If I could do it THIS year I'd want LSU at home and play the Wildcats in Lexington. Even better if we could instead play UAB on road.... or UT-Martin in Memphis!!!

I say LSU instead of Bama 'cause I'm still just not impressed with their QB situation and think we're more likely to lose to Tide anyway whereas home field may be difference between us and LSU this year.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Do you think they were our always best teams or it just seemed that way some years because we played most of our toss up games at home?
    This is what I think.

Alabama/LSU have been essentially automatic losses for us every year recently, so it doesn't matter where they're played. Well, if you're going to lose them anyway, obviously you'd rather them be road games so your toss-up games are at home. That way, you have a much better chance of beating teams like Texas A&M, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.

I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that our record is better in the years where we play LSU/Bama on the road. I think it's directly because of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is what I think.

Alabama/LSU have been essentially automatic losses for us every year recently, so it doesn't matter where they're played. Well, if you're going to lose them anyway, obviously you'd rather them be road games so your toss-up games are at home. That way, you have a much better chance of beating teams like Texas A&M, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.

I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that our record is better in the years where we play LSU/Bama on the road. I think it's directly because of that.
    I hadn't paid that close attention to the even or odd numbered years but y'all are onto something maybe. There was a schedule change a few years back though. I don't remember what year exactly but I know beyond the shadow of a doubt we used to play the 3 A's in the same context... all 3 home or all 3 away (Ark, Ala, Aub)
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    2010 has been our best team and I'd say 2012 was 2nd best. 2011 we got beat up too much on the OL early which led to other injuries. 2013 was a young team that was injured early- then got healthy and experience- finishing strong.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I don't think it really helps us catch lightning in a bottle to have them all at home in alternating years, or at least it hasn't played out that way. Those years are generally our worst years because we lose some of those home games, then have to play our easier games on the road.
    ^^This^^ I think it costs us some opportunity at building momentum, because we can improve significantly from one year to the next but our record not improve because our schedule is so much harder. I'd rather our schedule be a little more balanced from year to year. Also, I'm not sure we really increase our chances of catching lightning in a bottle that much. We're going to lose to one of LSU, Bama, and UM in pretty much any situation other than one where we're competing for a national title, so I think we can do just as well with two of those at home and the other on the road.

vCash
    I definitely want to see us get Bama & Mississippi broken up so we have one at home every year instead of both at home then both away. Personally, I'd like to get it where Bama is at home the same year LSU & Mississippi are on the road. It sucks that we don't have at least 1 "rivalry" game at home every year.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Banned
    vCash

This. If we played Bama and LSU at home this season, I think we would split.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    This. If we played Bama and LSU at home this season, I think we would split.
    I realize that home gives us an little edge, but I effen hate to see the excuses start before the games are even played. Maybe we just need to win those games some damn way or other.

Banned
    vCash
    It's not really meant to be an excuse. We do normally play those teams tougher at home.