Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are not little ole MSU anymore....

vCash

We are not little ole MSU anymore....

I walked into Perkins in Collierville (Memphis burb') for a breakfast meeting this morning. I had a State pullover on when I walked in.

As I'm walking to my table a gentleman yells out from across the restaurant "Hail State!" I yell it back.

I sit down, the lady at the table next to me says "I love that jacket! My niece and nephew are both there and about to graduate. They love it there."

(edited to add: The lady was African-American. Extremely proud her family attended State. Something Ole Miss wouldn't understand.)

I leave and there is a truck parked next to me with a State sticker on it (of course next to my car with a State sticker).

But we are lead to believe Memphis is an Ole Miss town, nobody likes little ole Mississippi State. They can't compete, etc. It's BS. All of it.

It all comes down to perception and while we have come a LONG way over the past 20 years, I still don't think we flex our muscles (especially thru the media) they way we can or should.

//off my soapbox.

vCash
    I'm in metro-Atlanta, and I can tell you that Mississippi State is far more recognizable around here now than it was 10-15 years ago. There are a lot of HS kids from this area now going to State, and when I was growing up that was unheard of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm in metro-Atlanta, and I can tell you that Mississippi State is far more recognizable around here now than it was 10-15 years ago. There are a lot of HS kids from this area now going to State, and when I was growing up that was unheard of.
    This is definitely true. The amount of people going to State from metro Atlanta is growing rapidly. The combination of relatively short distance, low cost, and great education makes it a great option for Atlanta area kids.

The awesome experiences at State are starting to spread by word of mouth from recent grads (such as myself) and their families. The Atlanta pipeline will only keep getting bigger.

vCash
    I can attest that our popularity is also growing in Houston. 5 years ago, I hardly ever saw State stickers or decals on cars here. Now it's rare that I go more than a couple of days without seeing one.

vCash
    I see more Ol Misses stickers around Shreve than State. My GTHOM sticker on my vehicle has gotten a few inquiries and laughs though
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Where can I get a Gthom sticker?

vCash
    I have lived in Atlanta for the past 3 years since I graduated from State in 11' and I am always amazed when I go home to visit the parents in Mermphis how much State stuff there is EVERYWHERE.

vCash
    Definately more OM in Nville than MSU. I guess that is to be expected in a medical town.

My street has 2 vandys, 2 ole miss, one ohio state, one kentucky and me. That said, my house is the biggest.
    #flagship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I see more Ol Misses stickers around Shreve than State. My GTHOM sticker on my vehicle has gotten a few inquiries and laughs though
    I hang out with a lot of ole miss guys. A lot. Probably more than state friends. Coach34 comes up regularly. They hate you. It is hilarious as I just laugh and say, "yeah, Ive heard of the guy".

You should hear some of the stories....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugdog View Post
    Where can I get a Gthom sticker?
    PM Mic or click on the GTHOM link up top
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I know from talking to people at Collierville high school that State is usually the number to SEC school for kids behind TN. The schools colors are maroon and white and where taken directly from MSU.

Banned
    vCash
    the wife and I are in an out of B'Ham a lot. I never fail too see MSU bumper stickers, hoodies, and t shirts.

vCash

Yes, I heard that Collierville

sent something like 48 kids to State last year. It's a big school of course.

But I've heard that same story at multiple schools all over Memphis, both private and public. Behind Memphis and Tennessee, most go to State and have been for several years now.

vCash
    Worn my maroon at the Opry mall in Nashville a while back and got several Hail State's, and I was shopping in Pigeon Forge (TN) a couple years ago in a State shirt, and one of the employees struck up a conversation about MSU. Said it was good to see some maroon, being that close to Knoxville.

vCash
    I live in a cul de sac with maybe 20 houses in a Memphis suburb. There are 5 or 6 houses that have some sort of collegiate paraphernalia on their property, and each one reps MSU.

vCash
    I've recall seeing MS State bumper stickers in Los Angeles, and Raleigh NC when I lived there.

vCash
    When I was on my honeymoon in Ireland I walked into a store in Dublin and saw a guy with a MSU jacket on. We are international.

vCash
    I was in Jersusalem in Israel wearing a MSU baseball t-shirt. One of the street vendors starts yelling at me "Mississippi State! Hey! Mississippi State!" And while he was yelling at me, he was pointing to a Mississippi State sign that was on the front on his store.

This is our Palestinean State.

vCash
    Just about every paper mill I go into has at least one engineer dawg in it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    the wife and I are in an out of B'Ham a lot. I never fail too see MSU bumper stickers, hoodies, and t shirts.
    I currently live in Bham. There are a ton of State and Ole Miss Alum here. Starting to see a lot more State.