Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

vCash
    Cadaver, FWIW, I'll ditto Ennis' recommendation. Lagavulin is the finest spirit known to man or beast- at about $80. None of the other Islays quite compare, but a few get close. But a mediocre Islay is better, IMHO, than a good Highland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullmutt View Post
    Cadaver, FWIW, I'll ditto Ennis' recommendation. Lagavulin is the finest spirit known to man or beast- at about $80. None of the other Islays quite compare, but a few get close. But a mediocre Islay is better, IMHO, than a good Highland.
    Yes yes yes

vCash
    A campfire in your mouth.

SMH.

PI just doesn't appreciate _all_ the finer things in life, I suppose.

Just curious...all you campfire-in-your-mouth lovers, are you guys all current or former smokers?

vCash
    Beast, that sandwich looks amazing.

I'm about to get started on some grilled pineapple-terryaki shrimp, deer sausage, baked potatoes & crawfish dip. I cheated on the dip though....bought it at Rouse's.

Ranger IPA during the process
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 03-29-2014 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    I havent smoked cigs in over 10 years. I do smoke synthetic weed every day

vCash
    Thanks Ennis and bullmutt.

And yes, Trace Grill is great. Eat there at least once a week. It's the best place to get good southern style meat and veggies in the Jackson Metro Area

vCash
    I did some kayaking today and didn't get off the water until 7. That equalled pick up Hungry Howies and the 3 Budweisers in my fridge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    I havent smoked cigs in over 10 years. I do smoke synthetic weed every day
    That's like drinking O'Douls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    A campfire in your mouth.

SMH.

PI just doesn't appreciate _all_ the finer things in life, I suppose.

Just curious...all you campfire-in-your-mouth lovers, are you guys all current or former smokers?
    It's an acquired taste. First time I had a real peaty scotch I didn't like it. A few weeks passed by and I started craving it. It's still a one or two drink flavor for me. I don't sit around and drink it the way I will highlands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    start with that. drink hard.

don't waste time with blends. single malt or bourbon IMO.
    I disagree. Blends have their place. I'd still rather sit around a sip on a blend all night than sip on a bourbon all night. And if I blow through 3/4 of a fifth of a blend in one night, I don't feel like I've wasted it like I do if I blow through 3/4's of a good scotch. And there are a lot of intermediate scotches that even though I like them better than blends, they are in no man's land to me. I'm not going to buy Glenlivet anymore. I'll either spring for a lagavulin, balvenie, or mac 12 or I will stick with the cheaper blend. I also think blends are good beginner scotches in general, especially if you're moving to it from bourbon or irish whiskey. Just don't spend money for a 'nice' blend. To me, Johnny Walker Black is the high end of what you should spend on a blend.

I do agree about bastardizing a good scotch with a mixer. To me, if somebody offers you anything good, either take it on the rocks or decline it. Even if you like a splash of water, take it on the rocks and just sip slowly until enough ice has melted to your tastes.

vCash
    there are nice blends, but I'd much rather sip on Morangie than chevis for only a few more dollars a bottle.

vCash
    PI, I've never smoked, but I found over the many years I have been a wine drinker that I love a lot of the better reds that have a prominent "smoke" component, and I think that led me to appreciate the Islays. If you wanted a snack that might enhance your appreciation of them, try smoked almonds or black pepper Triscuits.