Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C34's Friday Practice assessment

vCash
    Good natural tackles are not only hard to find but everyone wants them. With all the big time programs we compete with, it's no wonder that we struggle here.

vCash
    After Jake struggled mightily in pass protection all night long in a plyoff game his Senior year against Madison Central, I had my doubts about him playing OT in the SEC. I imagine they will look at moving him to OG but he must get much bigger and stronger to play inside, he is not close right now and if he plays in anything but blow outs this year, then we are in Serious Trouble!

Same goes for D Robinson, I still have nightmares thinking back to his performance in Oxford 2 years ago. Tyler is lucky to be alive after the beating he took that night.

vCash
    2015 OL:

LT- Malone
    LG- Clayborn
    C- ?????
    RG- Flowers
    RT- Warren

we need a Center and the 2015 OL will be fine
    Last edited by Coach34; 03-22-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    2015 OL:

LT- Senior
    LG- Clayborn
    C- ?????
    RG- Flowers
    RT- Malone

You have to hope that it's Desper or some older guy that takes a lot of reps between now and then. Would really like to have an experienced, older signal caller Dak's last year. I'm wondering about Deion Calhoun. Lot of people seem to really like him and think he could be another OL gem for us. If he can step up this year in the weight room, he might force his way on the field somewhere in 2015, potentially at center.

vCash
    Is Muniz a Sr? He actually looks ok there

vCash
    Is Muniz a Sr? He actually looks ok there
    Yep he is a senior. I guess the other one you might could look at is Cole Carter. Not sure how he's looked a practice though. I guess he's been at guard? Might be a bit tall for center at 6' 6". We've got a lot of bodies but none that necessarily excite you if you see their name. Got to figure that out because you need to have a legit option for 2015 and you would prefer them to be able to get reps this year.

vCash
    I've heard from several people that Desper hasn't looked good at center- what specifically is the issue?

Also as far as star ratings and o-linemen I pay the least amount of attention to stars by o-linemen's names. The services simply can't evaluate them all that well. That's a big reason why I don't jump on Hevesey's ass all that much about recruiting.

vCash
    Muniz is Sr.

vCash
    2015 OL:

LT- Malone
    LG- Clayborn
    C- ?????
    RG- Flowers
    RT- Warren

Let's see, you have a LT who has never played a game even at RT and hasn't been able to go thru drills yet in Malone. No center. A RG who is RFr this year and no one knows if he can play or not. And a converted TE at RT who you blasted yesterday. Yeah, we will be fine.

Stallings was supposed to be our center in 2015, but we blew it on his visit and he signed with UK. We may have to move Clayborn to Center and let Danley and Flowers or someone play guard.

Cole Carter is working 3rd string LT right now. Senior is 2nd string.

vCash
    Malone will be one of our best linemen- not worried about him
    Warren will be fine in time

Center is a bigger worry than OT for the future

vCash
    Now Jordan Harris, Elgton Jenkins, and Deion Calhoun might turn out to be pretty good. And I know Calhoun is gonna be good. I understand everyone looks past him because he's an academy kid. But so was Clayborn.

vCash
    JUCO recruiting is going to be huge this year. It has to be. That, or some true freshmen are looking at PT. Could be an easy sell to highly touted guys if Dak has the year we expect.

vCash
    We'll find out about Harris in 2 years, and considering Elgton will miss summer and fall practices I won't hold my breath on him stepping in any time in the next 2 either. Calhoun is the only guy who has any chance at PT in the near future, and another guard doesn't help us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Now Jordan Harris, Elgton Jenkins, and Deion Calhoun might turn out to be pretty good. And I know Calhoun is gonna be good. I understand everyone looks past him because he's an academy kid. But so was Clayborn.
    Harris is heading to Juco. Elgton is a grayshirt.

vCash
    The future at tackle is fine... If Malone goes out there... Between him Rufus, senior, and Thomas we will be fine... Chill on Thomas... He will be good in time.. He's a redshirt freshmen getting his ass kicked in spring by the best dline in the SEC.. Let him develop

vCash
    Jenkins isn't a Grey shirt... Cochran is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I'm a little disappointed we aren't using Griffin as a FB, but totally unsurprised. Sucks for him.

Love the good news on Nick James. Bottom line, we have 3 "starting" DTs next season, if he keeps it up.

Glad to hear Fitzgerald is progressing. He's raw, but it sounds like he's doing what it takes to improve. Best of all is hearing that Dak is helping him. Leadership.

It's going to be hard as hell for me to keep the wool to a reasonable length by kickoff. Hoping I can make it down to a practice or two before the Maroon & White Game. I really think we'll have a legit shot at the West this season.
    he told me that he does not want to play FB period. I wish he wanted to, he would be a good one. He said that he would do whatever he was told to do but said given the choice he wouldn't play FB .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    he told me that he does not want to play FB period. I wish he wanted to, he would be a good one. He said that he would do whatever he was told to do but said given the choice he wouldn't play FB .
    who are you talking about?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    who are you talking about?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Captain Obvious says, "Preachermatt83 was talking about Nick Griffin".