Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C34's Friday Practice assessment

vCash

C34's Friday Practice assessment

1. Loved the energy and tempo of the practice. Lots of hype by the players and constant competition. Very good team atmospere
    2. You can forget Fitzgerald playing any other position besides QB. He needs to redshirt to work on mechanics and grow as a QB- but he is going to be a good one. Prescott works with him and coaches him on what to do when it's his turn for reps to make sure he knows what to do.
    3. Nick Griffin is running with the TB's and working hard. Hope he keeps making progress.
    4. JRob and Shump look like absolute animals. They are just 2 good looking RB's
    5. We have moved Chris Jones to the defensive right playing beside Smith. I love the move- with the those 2 on the same side, we should get a great pass rush off the backside.
    6. Nick James looks like he has lost 40 pounds. Working hard, practicing hard. Keep it up until Sept 1st please big man. He will be starting with Jones by Game 3 unless we just start Eulls because he is a Sr. Whichever one is the back-up- they will be the best back-up DT in the SEC.
    7. MoJo looks real good. Beat McKinney on a seam route down the hash with BMac holding his inside arm- he one handed it for a 25 yd catch. Then he got on BMac's ass and flipped him the ball. And then BMac threw it and hit him in the back with it. And MoJo just laughed louder. God I love football.
    8. Shelby Christy has hands like feet.
    9. Bear is a hoss out there. Our CB's hate covering him. Expect him to take another big step forward this year.
    10. Ryan Brown is going to be pretty good this year. We will be fine there with him and AJ replacing Autry.
    11. Our secondary is outstanding and we have 4 Safetys good enough to start.
    12. Clayborn is Gabe Jackson Jr. He is headed to the league.
    13. Justin Senior and Kent Flowers will be solid guys on the OL in time.
    14. Rufus Warren will be ok at tackle- he just has to get alot of technique work.
    15. I would be ok if I never saw Damien Robinson or Jake Thomas practice again. Hoooo-leeee-shit. I don't see how Hevesy doesn't lose his ****ing mind with those two. What Ryan Brown did to Thomas a couple of times was borderline assault. Then another time he went by him like LeBron beating JJ Reddick off the dribble. Thomas will get better with time- but he has a ways to go. Damien has no excuses in year 5. He's just not mean enough.
    16. That said, our OL will be pretty good when Malone gets back. Muniz is backing up at Center...Johnson, Flowers, and Senior give us some depth.

We are going to be a good ****ing football team this Fall. In talking to one of our defensive players at the baseball game- he said he thinks our offense is better now than it was at anytime last year. And it is. Our defense is full of future NFL players. 2014 is our shot.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    the defense is as good as it's been since 99. They are stacked. Safety is the only spot where they'll need to find a good rotation, but we've got a lot of bodies there. Cox looks way more natural back there too. He's still going to have to come up and tackle a little better, but he's reading the plays and moving really well. Also, having a safety that can slide down into the slot and man up will be a huge benefit. Nickoe got busted a lot with that last year. Won't be a problem for us this season.

vCash
    I'm a little disappointed we aren't using Griffin as a FB, but totally unsurprised. Sucks for him.

Love the good news on Nick James. Bottom line, we have 3 "starting" DTs next season, if he keeps it up.

Glad to hear Fitzgerald is progressing. He's raw, but it sounds like he's doing what it takes to improve. Best of all is hearing that Dak is helping him. Leadership.

It's going to be hard as hell for me to keep the wool to a reasonable length by kickoff. Hoping I can make it down to a practice or two before the Maroon & White Game. I really think we'll have a legit shot at the West this season.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I got roasted when i said jake thomas would never be anything more than a backup.

But but but he is a 4 star!!!!

Im not terrified if our OL isnt great. I would be if tyler was still qb but not with dak. The line has to be decent, not great. Besides, we can always move a TE to the right side if it becomes a problem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    I got roasted when i said jake thomas would never be anything more than a backup.

I told everyone that Robinson was a project when we recruited him. Not surprised he hasn't panned out. And I said the same thing about Deon Mix you said about Thomas. Jury is still out, but I'm pretty confident he'll never be a contributor for Auburn.

Thomas could still figure it out, and I hope he does. We need these highly rated OL guys to pan out when we sign them. That's the one are where we've struggled badly with evaluating guys.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    We are so ****ing close, that's why it pisses me off we don't have 1 other stud O-linemen or a kicker. That's really all we need to win 10 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I told everyone that Robinson was a project when we recruited him. Not surprised he hasn't panned out. And I said the same thing about Deon Mix you said about Thomas. Jury is still out, but I'm pretty confident he'll never be a contributor for Auburn.

Thomas could still figure it out, and I hope he does. We need these highly rated OL guys to pan out when we sign them. That's the one are where we've struggled badly with evaluating guys.
    Damn near everyone thought Robinson was a project. Every major program backed off in the end. But yeah, some posters were enamored with his size and stars. Jake Thomas probably needs to be a guard.

vCash
    That sucks about Thomas and Robinson. If I was that size, nobody would beat my ass like that. How has Desper looked? Hope #88 hangs in there, he will have fun on the field this year.This defense sounds like they'll be running on diesel.

vCash
    To give the OL "some" credit.... Ryan Brown, Preston Smith, and Chris Jones are just stupid nasty on every snap. The OL can't get on their heals or miss a step because those 3 will put them on their ass. Also like how Nick James was jawing at the offense. He's gonna rip some face masks off.

Also impressive, is the run blocking by our receivers. Wilson, RoJo, and Brown are about as aggressive as we've ever had on the outside.

vCash
    We need to go all in on javon patterson this year. We will be hurting next year. Why cant we get a tackle?

Just think if we had Laremy Tunsil on the right side this year

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    We need to go all in on javon patterson this year. We will be hurting next year. Why cant we get a tackle?

We need to go all out on Patterson but he's a guard not a tackle. He's only around 6'3.

vCash
    I saw the same thing today coach except that clayborn and clausell handled the c jones pretty well.

Dak isn't in rhythm yet but that is expected.

I got pretty close to nick James and he's still got conditioning to do. Ran second team and was out of breath but he has a new can do attitude that could make all the difference since he lost the weight.

We still won't beat teams on deep routes but if they can't keep dak pinned down we have the receiver size and talent to split zones and take chunks of yardage.

Devin bell is a hell of a punter. There is a kicker named Westin graves that has a decent leg but sobeisk will still be the man.

Tubby is first at punt returns then Redmond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    We need to go all out on Patterson but he's a guard not a tackle. He's only around 6'3.
    Our O-line for Dak's senior year, could suck.

LT: Senior
    LG: Clayborn
    C: who the hell knows
    RG: Danely from Juco
    RT: Malone, hopefully

Ugh

vCash
    Warren will be pretty good eventually...he needs rep after rep
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

Im not terrified if our OL isnt great. I would be if tyler was still qb but not with dak. The line has to be decent, not great. Besides, we can always move a TE to the right side if it becomes a problem
    I'm actually more disappointed that there seems to be no mention of Devon Desper. I had high hopes for him coming out of HS and assumed he would be the heir apparent to Dillon Day's job after this year. Doesn't sound encouraging though if Muniz is actually the backup at C currently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Our O-line for Dak's senior year, could suck.

LT: Senior
    LG: Clayborn
    C: who the hell knows
    RG: Danely from Juco
    RT: Malone, hopefully

Ugh
    Desper at C, right?

vCash

From everything I've heard Patterson is a Guard.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Anyone see anything from Devon desper, at center? I know that is supposed to his position but not a word about him so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Desper at C, right?
    That's my understanding. Also, I think at that point Flowers would be in the mix somewhere, whether it be at tackle or guard. We really are hurting for a solid, no doubt LT/RT. If he ends up at guard, a Clayborn/Flowers/Desper inside 3 is not that terrible. But who the hell is playing tackle is a good question. I'm not sold on Senior even though he's still very young. Maybe by that time Jocquell will have solidified RT and then someone will have stepped up at LT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Desper at C, right?
    Desper struggled at C and has been moved to Guard.