Thread: What's the word on the commit we just got in football..

vCash

What's the word on the commit we just got in football..

Reggie Walker, weak side DE. 24/7 has him a 4 star, rivals 3. Looks like a good get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Original48 View Post
    Reggie Walker, weak side DE. 24/7 has him a 4 star, rivals 3. Looks like a good get.
    Yep, another really good get in this class. Brother played at State, was hoping he'd commit this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Original48 View Post
    His brother, Robert Walker, was a TE for us. He had legit offers from Kansas State and Texas Tech. Arizona State gave him a verbal offer. LSU will probably not offer him b/c they like their DE's to be 6'4+ and Reggie is only 6'3. He's a good prospect and a legit 3 star. And we need DE's. 4 star is probably a tad ambitious, but 24-7 ranks kids a little higher than Scout and Rivals.

vCash
    Paul @ 24/7 is saying he didn't commit b/c he doesn't have an offer yet

vCash
    So far we have Timothy Washington already committed and teammate Gabriel Campbell should follow. That's 2 DE's in this class while we are losing P. Smith after this year leaving us Brown, Jefferson, Dale, Simpson, C. Thomas, Coleman, and Harris for the next year. That's 7 for sure players returning after this season. And don't forget C. Jones will play some DE depending on the play. Turner is probably only targeting 3 DE's for this class.

Edit: Harris will probably transition to the DT position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    So far we have Timothy Washington already committed and teammate Gabriel Campbell should follow. That's 2 DE's in this class while we are losing P. Smith after this year leaving us Brown, Jefferson, Dale, Simpson, C. Thomas, Coleman, and Harris for the next year. That's 7 for sure players returning after this season. And don't forget C. Jones will play some DE depending on the play. Turner is probably only targeting 3 DE's for this class.

Thomas could transition to DT as well. They're both kind of tweeters to me. I still think we need more true DEs, and Washington could remain at LB.

I do agree, though, that our need is more at DT. The bottom line, though, is that we need a huge class on both lines this year. Assuming we get Adams and Campbell, I still think we're looking at about 4 more DL in the class.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash

Washington will be a olb. He's only about 190lbs right now. Once he gets on campus he'll prolly end up about 230-235lbs. Also Simpson has already moved down to dt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Thomas could transition to DT as well. They're both kind of tweeters to me. I still think we need more true DEs, and Washington could remain at LB.

I do agree, though, that our need is more at DT. The bottom line, though, is that we need a huge class on both lines this year. Assuming we get Adams and Campbell, I still think we're looking at about 4 more DL in the class.
    Completely agree.... Hoyett was our lone true DT last year, and we haven't signed a true DT since James and Quay. Fletcher Adams is a necessity for us. Hopefully Tommy Champion goes ahead and commits today. That will take a little pressure off the OT recruitment. I'm pretty sure if we offer Eloph, he'll commit

vCash
    Yeah, I was behind Washington in line at a game this year. He's got some eating to do.

vCash

I think Campbell will be more of a DT, but we have shown that we will play guys with his skill set at DE/DT like we are doing with Chris Jones now. I think Washington will be an OLB kind of like Matt Wells.

If it were me- I'd go after Fletcher Adams and Gabriel Campbell at DT and then Keith Joseph for DE. I think Darrien McNair might end up at DE depending on what happens with Jamal Peters, Leo Lewis, etc.

Also- in 2016 Starkville HS has a really good DE prospect that we will more than likely get when the time comes, and Noxubee County has Jeffrey Simmons who I think will be a good DE prospect as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I think Geoff wants us to have a massive front seven- and I like that idea A LOT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Geoff wants us to have a massive front seven- and I like that idea A LOT.
    Not only that, but we seem to be recruiting a lot of linebackers that would fit in the KJ Wright mold, IMO. A guy like Tim Washington is listed at 6'3, 200 lbs right now but will probably be 225-230 when at MSU. Gerri Green is another 6'4", 210 lbs guy that will probably push 240 at some point at MSU. Add them to the 6'4", 240 lbs Bernardrick McKinney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I love the idea - as long as we aren't compromising speed at the LB position. So far, so good...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Not only that, but we seem to be recruiting a lot of linebackers that would fit in the KJ Wright mold, IMO. A guy like Tim Washington is listed at 6'3, 200 lbs right now but will probably be 225-230 when at MSU. Gerri Green is another 6'4", 210 lbs guy that will probably push 240 at some point at MSU. Add them to the 6'4", 240 lbs Bernardrick McKinney.
    And 6'3"-6'4", 230-lb. Dez Harris, who Collins called arguably the fastest player on defense. A future LB group consisting of Green, McKinney, Washington, and Deshon Cooper is pretty frightening for opponents.