Thread: Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

vCash

Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

A day late but what y'all got? Last night I had NyQuil after work due to some hellacious sinus action. Haven't decided anything for tonight.

vCash
    Went home to see the parents this weekend and me and my dad grilled up some steakkabobs and drank a few ice cold Miller Lites.

vCash
    Last night I busted out the grill for the first time. I put all the coals to the left side of the weber. Let it go for 45 mins. Hot as it could possibly get.

While that was going, I got my 2.5 inch buffalo ribeye (BONE IN) and the same size tri tip out. I purchased these around the corner at my local butcher. He cuts them how I need them. I seasoned them with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder and for crust, a little bit of brown sugar. I coated those in canola oil so it would stick.

While that soaked up, took my shitakes and onions and sauteed them down in evoo and a small amount of butter. I put a small amount of sugar to caramelize the onions more. I add a ton of garlic right before I put in my red wine to deglaze. Once I poured my cabernet in, I cranked it to high heat. I then reduced and simmered.

So out to the grill. Grill is hotter than hades so I put the 2 steaks on. I go 2 minutes on direct heat. 2 minutes each side.

After that, I move both steaks to the right side of grill, off direct heat. I do it for 4 mins on each side there. Perfect rare to mid rare.

Took steaks off. Put in a large plate. COVERED her bison in blue cheese / gorgonzola crumbles and put tin foil over steaks to let them rest 15 mins.

She cooked up some sides, which I didnt eat. Served those steaks with the shitake/onion topping.

This is the 2nd best way to cook a steak. Ive got this down but the timing is perfect for a 2.5 inch cut. I didnt do blue cheese on my tri tip last night. I do it about half the time. My GOD it takes it to another level.

That onion/mushroom trick I mentioned above is tits. Dont put a ton of wine in there. Maybe half a cup max.
    Last edited by Esmerelda Villalobos; 03-22-2014 at 09:43 AM.

vCash
    That sounds amazing. Glad somebody else knows about the tri tips

vCash
    Tri tip my have overtaken a cowboy ribeye for me.

It is lean and just as flavorful. I only eat cowboys bison or tri tip. Ill eat a filet every now and then but sirloins and strips are just a waste of time. When I see someone order a strip at a restaurant, I just shake my head.

vCash
    Deer steaks & sausage, Don's Boudin and buffalo trace last night. Haven't even thought about tonight yet.

vCash
    Making diver scallops wrapped in bacon tonight. A light salad with a homemade raspberry vinagerette. A gallon of green tea for drink.

Im eating clean right now.

vCash
    Still under the weather so no drankin for me. Sushi at Edo for dinner. Got some banana chips smuggled in the theatre for Divergent

vCash
    Did a couple nice 1.25" T-bones (on sale) with loaded bakes on Friday.. after steaks were done I put a couple polish sausage links on the top rack to slow cook.. Had those yesterday.
    Found out that Cuervo gold redi-mix margaritas taste pretty good mixed with sweet tea by accident...