Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home run hire Mike Anderson misses NCAA Tourney aGAIN

vCash

Home run hire Mike Anderson misses NCAA Tourney aGAIN

with his opening game loss to a hot SC team...And this guy inherited a top 10 recruiting class plus returning starters

SEC basketball has just really deteriorated the last 5-7 years- and I dont think it's the coaching. The rise of football and the AAU culture is killing basketball in the Southeast
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'll take Mike Anderson 100x out of 100 over Rick Ray any day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully01 View Post
    maybe you would- but with what he walked into- he is sucking dick like a Bunny Ranch ho

Banned
    vCash
    For the 6th straight season Arkansas has been put out in their first game of the SEC tourney. Ouch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    with his opening game loss to a hot SC team...And this guy inherited a top 10 recruiting class plus returning starters

SEC basketball has just really deteriorated the last 5-7 years- and I dont think it's the coaching. The rise of football and the AAU culture is killing basketball in the Southeast
    S Carolina will make the NCAAT next year. You heard it hear first

vCash
    Yeah -- He's dominating. At a traditional power, no less.

You'd probably kick doors down for Billy Gillispie too, wouldn't you?

vCash
    Nope, but Anderson has made an elite eight run at Missouri which Gillespie never did.

vCash
    Nope, but Anderson has made an elite eight run at Missouri which Gillespie never did.
    Gillespie made a Sweet 16 at aTm -- their first in 27 years and only 3rd ever.

Anderson was Mizzou's 5th Elite 8 -- their 3rd since 94 -- and their 3rd coach in a row to make one.
    Last edited by engie; 03-13-2014 at 10:01 PM.

vCash
    If Ray had inherited what Anderson did- Ray would have made an NCAA Tourney imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

I thought Anderson would be crazy good at Arkansas. There has to be something to this rise in football/AAU influence contributing to the decline of SEC basketball. Players just aren't as talented or hoops savvy as they used to be.

vCash
    The SEC has an immature brand of basketball. A lot of flying around the court, turnovers, wild shot selection. I think they may need to divide time of possession up into 3 parts for the amount of loose balls per game. The players are not coming in ready, and they aren't leaving much better for the most part.

The only team in the conference that plays a composed, crisp, intelligent brand of basketball is Florida and all they did was go 18-0.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    I thought Anderson would be crazy good at Arkansas. There has to be something to this rise in football/AAU influence contributing to the decline of SEC basketball. Players just aren't as talented or hoops savvy as they used to be.
    I agree.

Hence why some of us find it asinine to think that we've got to follow the same recruiting model as others around the conference. One that clearly isn't working -- for a bunch of guys considered excellent coaches/recruiters before they got to the conference. I'm fine with a midmajor approach to underrated/underevaluated players that can be developed, bringing them along slowly, and developing real basketball savvy that can carry you deep into March. That seems to be our approach -- we just had to baptize guys by fire instead of bringing them along at a pace conducive to winning and slow development on the front end.

vCash
    pointing out a previously successful coach hasn't been as successful at his new stop does not prove anything with regards to our coaching search/hire/situation/results the past 2 seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    pointing out a previously successful coach hasn't been as successful at his new stop does not prove anything with regards to our coaching search/hire/situation/results the past 2 seasons.
    It proves that the formula many of you want to follow is failing ALL around us.

vCash
    You're right to some degree. Except that, as engie pointed out, it is relevant when discussing the best route to go for the program. I think bringing in a guy like Kenny Payne would be insane given that guys who are recruiting plenty well and have much better reputations as actual coaches than Payne are not having success in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You're right to some degree. Except that, as engie pointed out, it is relevant when discussing the best route to go for the program. I think bringing in a guy like Kenny Payne would be insane given that guys who are recruiting plenty well and have much better reputations as actual coaches than Payne are not having success in the league.
    never said i would have wanted kenny payne anywhere in my top 10 choices.

vCash
    never said i would have wanted kenny payne anywhere in my top 10 choices.
    Well, we have evidence to show that guys who have proven themselves successful as mid-major head coaches often struggle when they come into the SEC. We have evidence to show that coaches who can bring in 4- and 5-star guys still often struggle in the SEC.

So I'm not sure what plan our fans wanted us to follow. Pretty much everyone I've heard has fallen into those categories.

But pointing out that other coaches who fall along the lines of the type of guy everyone wanted us to hire are struggling in the SEC is relevant.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    i think the same approach that Mullen has taken with football has to happen with basketball. We are not going to have tons of talent draw immediately to us. we need to find good players with high ceilings that have not reached their full potential, bring them in and take the time to teach and coach them up in the game - let them gain the experience and knowledge needed to be successful. I think next year will be a much better year. we did marvelous in the first half of most of the games this year. it was the second half where we did not have fresh bodies to put on the floor that killed the team. That changes a lot with at least 6 players either coming in or coming off of redshirt year that we can add to the quality and depth of the team overall. that will make a HUGE difference.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    i think the same approach that Mullen has taken with football has to happen with basketball. We are not going to have tons of talent draw immediately to us. we need to find good players with high ceilings that have not reached their full potential, bring them in and take the time to teach and coach them up in the game - let them gain the experience and knowledge needed to be successful. I think next year will be a much better year. we did marvelous in the first half of most of the games this year. it was the second half where we did not have fresh bodies to put on the floor that killed the team. That changes a lot with at least 6 players either coming in or coming off of redshirt year that we can add to the quality and depth of the team overall. that will make a HUGE difference.
    Really good post, and I agree. Our fans need to accept that we're just not going to bring in the kind of talent Stans did, at least to begin with - and it doesn't really matter who we hire. He was a very good recruiter, regardless of how he went about it, and he also didn't always coach them up the way some others could. Those are both facts. I think we can ultimately be better by bringing in a slightly lower level of talent but coaching/developing them better. And I think that if we start winning, the recruiting will follow.

Our fans also need to understand that while Stans brought in talent, a lot of times it was talent with baggage. I don't know if we got them more because other programs backed off or not (in Sidney's case they obviously did), but guys like Kodi Augustus, Ravern Johnson, DJ Gardner, Walter Sharpe, etc. had some issues. Those issues worsened when they got to State, but they were always there. And I would always rather bring in a guy with a little lower ceiling who will buy in fully than a guy with more natural ability that will be tough to coach and rein in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, we have evidence to show that guys who have proven themselves successful as mid-major head coaches often struggle when they come into the SEC. We have evidence to show that coaches who can bring in 4- and 5-star guys still often struggle in the SEC.

So I'm not sure what plan our fans wanted us to follow. Pretty much everyone I've heard has fallen into those categories.

But pointing out that other coaches who fall along the lines of the type of guy everyone wanted us to hire are struggling in the SEC is relevant.
    but i can point out former mid-major coaches in other major conferences that have come in and been successful.