Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Jones the top DT per SDS!

vCash

Chris Jones the top DT per SDS!

vCash
    Dak, CJ, & B-Mac are bringing a lot of preseason attention to us ....... wonder who will emerge and capture the media's attention next season (other than one of those three)
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Bo Wallace at #3? Either QB in the SEC is bad this year or this list is horse shit. Im leaning more towards horse shit. I know it is all speculation but damn, what did Wallace do that was so damn impressive last year to warrant #3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    Bo Wallace at #3? Either QB in the SEC is bad this year or this list is horse shit. Im leaning more towards horse shit. I know it is all speculation but damn, what did Wallace do that was so damn impressive last year to warrant #3.
    I feel the same way about Nick Marshall. I've never seen so much hype over an average running back playing quarterback. It seems like most of his passing highlights are horrible throws that turned into big plays through lucky circumstances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I feel the same way about Nick Marshall. I've never seen so much hype over an average running back playing quarterback. It seems like most of his passing highlights are horrible throws that turned into big plays through lucky circumstances.
    Yeah Marshall took a fairly pedestrian team to the National Championship last season. He may not be the best QB in the league, but in the scheme he's in it's hard not to pick him #1. He did last year what we expect Dak to do this year.
    As for Wallace at No. 3, it really is a down year for returning starters. You could certainly make a case for Mauk to be over Bo, but from a numbers perspective Bo is a pretty easy choice at 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg10msu View Post
    Oh how I hope James has his head right. If he shows up, we're gonna be a terror to block

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    Yeah Marshall took a fairly pedestrian team to the National Championship last season.
    I'd say that Gus Malzahn took a fairly pedestrain team to the National Championship last season, and the fact that he did it with Marshall as his best option at QB makes it even more incredible. If I need to drive down the field and score in two minutes and I don't have Auburn luck on my side, then Nick Marshall is far from the top of my list of SEC quarterbacks to lead that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    It's hard to put him much lower than that simply based on prior experience. I doubt many people think he'll actually end up there, though. Guys like Mauk, Bama QB, Hutson Mason, and several others have a decent chance to pass him.

vCash
    State's been fairly well-represented on these lists. Dak at 2, Tubby at 4, Jones at 1 and Malcolm Johnson at 2. We don't have a DE, RB or OL (TAMU, with the No.1 guy could have its third straight "lottery" pick at OT next year, holy cow) but I don't feel like anyone was really slighted. You could make a case for Josh Robinson at 10 but probably not without being biased.

Robinson's HS quarterback, by the way, clocked in as the #9 RB. That was a loaded backfield for sure- still blows me away when I think about that '09 team not winning state.

vCash
    ....with about 14 OL illegally downfield.

vCash
    I'd say that Gus Malzahn took a fairly pedestrain team to the National Championship last season, and the fact that he did it with Marshall as his best option at QB makes it even more incredible. If I need to drive down the field and score in two minutes and I don't have Auburn luck on my side, then Nick Marshall is far from the top of my list of SEC quarterbacks to lead that.
    This sounds a little like an anti-marshall agenda. He may not be Cam Newton- there aren't many of those- but he's a pretty easy choice for preseason All-SEC QB this year. If your metric is "Who do I want running my 2-minute offense," the list probably looks different- you might even put Wallace #1 based on experience.

Then again, if your thought process really is that Gus had that success despite Nick Marshall, then God help us. We may never win another game against Auburn or Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    This sounds a little like an anti-marshall agenda. He may not be Cam Newton- there aren't many of those- but he's a pretty easy choice for preseason All-SEC QB this year. If your metric is "Who do I want running my 2-minute offense," the list probably looks different- you might even put Wallace #1 based on experience.

Then again, if your thought process really is that Gus had that success despite Nick Marshall, then God help us. We may never win another game against Auburn or Alabama.
    You're over-thinking my comments. I don't really care one way or the other, I just think it's strange that so many people are hyping up an average at best quarterback who wasn't even a quarterback two years ago. I suppose, however, based on the circumstances, he makes sense for #1 on a list like this.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't have any Nick Marshall love, but I don't have any Nick Marshall hate either. He's a great athlete with a meh arm. That's how I see it. But he's in a system where that's ok.

vCash
    Nick Marshall does not lack arm strength

vCash
    Yeah, it's strange to see us getting this kind of respect before a season starts. Typically, even if a guy leads the SEC in several categories at a position, they'll still have him something like 5th at his position just because there are some Bama guys who were better recruits, etc.

Nice to see Jameon Lewis get some love. This just reinforces what we already know - we have a lot of legitimate talent returning next year; it'll just hinge on how well our OL plays and whether Dak stays healthy or not.

vCash
    You no longer measure QB's just by their passing- you also have to factor in their running ability and yardage.

Think about this- Marshall had more yards rushing than Perk and JRob COMBINED- and that also factors in sacks for Marshall.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You no longer measure QB's just by their passing- you also have to factor in their running ability and yardage.

Think about this- Marshall had more yards rushing than Perk and JRob COMBINED- and that also factors in sacks for Marshall.
    That's why the totalQBR that ESPN uses is such a good metric -- because it factors in everything...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You no longer measure QB's just by their passing- you also have to factor in their running ability and yardage. ll.
    This is a great point. Total yardage and total TDs is so important when judging a Nick Marshall or Dak. You have to look at the whole package. It's like when an OM message board poster says Dak sucks and only shows his passing stats. Dumb.

I will say that Bo Wallace absolutely deserves to be that high preseason. If you look at the SEC, tons of great QBs finished up last year. Nobody is back. We can argue Bo being a system QB until the cows come home but truth is that his career numbers are better than anyone else's returning. That said, preseason anything doesn't mean anything.

Banned
    vCash
    I just don't think that Marshall is the best QB in the SEC. I think that particular designation goes to the man in Starkville with the number fifteen on his chest, and no, I am not just being blind homer on this one.

vCash
    Think about this- Prescott really played 9 total games this year. His combined yardage was only 100 yards short of Russell's from 2012
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is