Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I must be one of the only ones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully01 View Post
    Do you think it might have to do with the fact they don't feel like they get any run support so they feel like they have to pitch the game of their life out there? I mean a Bradford **** up on a fly ball he should have had and a Detz olay single at third. If they make those plays, the pitching looks a lot better. Of course, those balls don't go down as errors but they cost the pitchers 5 runs and confidence. Our fielding has got to get better.
    I don't think so. We put up 6 runs yesterday. There have only been a couple of games where we didn't score at least three runs.

You are correct about defense and that does't show up in the scorebook. If our pitching and defense don't show up we are going to struggle. Our offense is good enough to get us some runs- but we don't want to be in a slugfest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I think reality is setting in that our expectations were a little lofty and unrealistic after last year. Making up for what Renfroe and Frazier did was going to be difficult. Pitching hasn't been as good and it was going to be very very difficult to continue dominating like we did last year. We aren't a national seed for sure and we may not be a 1 seed team. But I'm ok with that because we've proven in the past that doesn't matter.

I actually think this baseball season is going to look a lot like our football season. We've got some underclassmen who are just as talented as some of our upperclassmen, but they don't have the experience. Cohen will have to find the right blend of them both. We will take our lumps but we will still be a talented team that can make a run at anybody at any point.
    Woodruff struggling is KILLING us. Ben pitched well, but he can only go five innings. That's part of the reason why I like him better out of the bullpen in an ideal situation- but he is probably our best guy right now and has to start.

I do think it's very similar to our football team in some ways. The OOC schedule is a lot more difficult than it was last year- but I think the SEC schedule is easier than what we had last year though.

I feel very strongly about benching Detz right now. I think the combination of Garner and Humphreys gives us better offensive production and defense at third base. We can have someone like CT, Pirtle, Armstrong, etc. hit second. Detz not getting on hurts Rea as well.

vCash
    Well for one, UCSB is just a better team than we are, and they would do really well in the SEC right now. They could beat anybody over here. Hopefully we can win today, but we need to get more aggressive at the plate. I worry about our game approach mentality. We need to take the fight to our opponents. We can't continue to rely on pitching the way we do.

vCash
    I agree. Gotta find the mojo somewhere. Long hair and beards worked last year. I'm thinking clean shaven and bald heads may get them going this year. That's baseball!

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Woodruff struggling is KILLING us. Ben pitched well, but he can only go five innings. That's part of the reason why I like him better out of the bullpen in an ideal situation- but he is probably our best guy right now and has to start.

I do think it's very similar to our football team in some ways. The OOC schedule is a lot more difficult than it was last year- but I think the SEC schedule is easier than what we had last year though.

I feel very strongly about benching Detz right now. I think the combination of Garner and Humphreys gives us better offensive production and defense at third base. We can have someone like CT, Pirtle, Armstrong, etc. hit second. Detz not getting on hurts Rea as well.
    This hurts us more than anything regarding Detz struggling. Rea leading the country in walks because he's not seeing anything to hit is not what we want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Well for one, UCSB is just a better team than we are, and they would do really well in the SEC right now. They could beat anybody over here. Hopefully we can win today, but we need to get more aggressive at the plate. I worry about our game approach mentality. We need to take the fight to our opponents. We can't continue to rely on pitching the way we do.
    I agree. It seems like every single hitter that they have is hitting .400.