Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 Game Losing Streak

vCash

9 Game Losing Streak

If Rick Ray loses out, that would be 14 games in a row we have lost. Has there ever been a coach in the BCS conferences to lose 14 straight to finish out a season and be retained? I know our situation wasn't great but there have been situations much worse over the years. I don't see how you can keep a coach and sell season tickets with 14 losses in a row to finish a season.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    The beast has awoken...I'll get my popcorn.

B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RICKRAYMADE View Post
    If Rick Ray loses out, that would be 14 games in a row we have lost. Has there ever been a coach in the BCS conferences to lose 14 straight to finish out a season and be retained? I know our situation wasn't great but there have been situations much worse over the years. I don't see how you can keep a coach and sell season tickets with 14 losses in a row to finish a season.
    We will only do one of those next season more than likely.*

vCash
    you can keep a coach after that. you just can't keep a coach and sell tickets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RICKRAYMADE View Post
    Tom Crean went 1-17 at Indiana his 1st season....and yes I know they were on probation- that's how our AD views our program with us having 1 player- ONE- leftover from the previous regime.

Ray gone get 4 years bruh
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Yep, Rick Ray has yet to win even ONE game in the month of February during his HC tenure at MSU.

Banned
    vCash
    TCU which beat us in the Hump is 0-15 in the Big12 right now.

vCash
    Problem for Ray is he's shown no sign he can recruit, instate, out of state or around the world. I lived through the bellard, boyd era, brilliant coaching minds, and horrible recruiters. Can't win without players. In fairness to them msu has never been an easy place to recruit, even Ron Polk will tell you that.

vCash
    Coach :How long is Ray' contract and are we still paying Stansbury?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Tom Crean went 1-17 at Indiana his 1st season....and yes I know they were on probation- that's how our AD views our program with us having 1 player- ONE- leftover from the previous regime.

vCash

tom crean went to a final 4, 5 ncaa tourneys, and 3 NITs in 9 seasons at marquette before getting to indiana. he definitely had earned a bit more benefit of the doubt than a guy that's never been a HC and was never considered a top assistant before we hired him.

i'm not saying ray won't get at least 1 more year, and probably 2 more, but i am saying comparing him to someone like tom crean is a very, very poor comparison because crean had a good track record before taking the indiana job. kinda like the cohen comparisons you are hell bent on making in other threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    tom crean went to a final 4, 5 ncaa tourneys, and 3 NITs in 9 seasons at marquette before getting to indiana. he definitely had earned a bit more benefit of the doubt than a guy that's never been a HC and was never considered a top assistant before we hired him.

i'm not saying ray won't get at least 1 more year, and probably 2 more, but i am saying comparing him to someone like tom crean is a very, very poor comparison because crean had a good track record before taking the indiana job. kinda like the cohen comparisons you are hell bent on making in other threads.
    But no one is comparing Ray to Crean. No one is saying, 'Guys chill, he's just like Tom Crean'. Crean isn't a good coach because he struggled initially at Indiana.

But the point is, even a really good coach like Tom Crean struggled really badly when he inherited a terrible situation. That doesn't mean ray is a really good coach, it just means that he inherited a terrible situation so we need to be patient to find out what kind of coach he truly is because even a really good coach in a situation like that is going to struggle. So there's a chance he is a really good coach still digging himself out of an awful situation.

And to the OP, there have not been a whole lot of situations much worse than ours was when Ray got here. Claiming our situation 'wasn't great' is a classic attempt to downplay our problems in order to make the coach look worse.

The only guys left from Stans' last team, a team that exited the NIT in the 1st round, entering last year were Jalen Steele, Wendell Lewis, and Roquez Johnson...two role players (and Lewis hardly ever played the year prior) and one guy who never played. He also inherited a decent recruiting class but one that was woefully short on numbers considering the number of spots he needed to fill.

We had 5-6 scholarship players at times last year...and essentially no real walk-ons to speak of. One walk-on contributed a ton last year, and that walk-on was the towel boy from the year before, the guy who played so poorly when he finally got scrub minutes that the entire team was laughing their heads off. That is the guy that sometimes played 20+ minutes for us last year.

That is an unquestionably awful situation.

vCash
    Another problem with recruiting is that the talent level in the state hasn't been there the past few years like it normally was. Only been a couple kids from the state each year that were highly recruited. 2015 class best player going to UK and we are getting 2 of the other top players.
    When our EX coach took over there was a lot of talent in the state. And we got most if not basically all of them. Much easier to recruit kids from your own state.. It takes a time to bring in players outside of Mississippi to come here.
    Too bad we missed out on one of the best a few years ago in Summers... We overlooked him.
    RR does have to recruit better. Everyone can agree on that. We will have a full roster next year. If next years team doesn't make a push at the NIT then the leash on RR will be getting very tight.. But he has only been here 19 months...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But no one is comparing Ray to Crean. No one is saying, 'Guys chill, he's just like Tom Crean'. Crean isn't a good coach because he struggled initially at Indiana.

But the point is, even a really good coach like Tom Crean struggled really badly when he inherited a terrible situation. That doesn't mean ray is a really good coach, it just means that he inherited a terrible situation so we need to be patient to find out what kind of coach he truly is because even a really good coach in a situation like that is going to struggle. So there's a chance he is a really good coach still digging himself out of an awful situation.
    by bringing up tom crean without acknowledging the differences in the 2 coaches' track records is directly comparing the 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I shouldnt have had to explain this- but thank you for doing it.

vCash
    I shouldnt have had to explain this- but thank you for doing it.
    Yep. Anyone that misunderstands the analogies and comparisons is pushing an agenda so hard that common sense has left their building. Makes the topic almost impossible to discuss with them on any level whatsoever. And we've got a bunch of them...

vCash
    I've always viewed this hire as a "bridge hire" to bigger and better things. We need talent, stability, work ethic, and excitement for the program to take the next step. Right now we're 1 for 4 in those departments. If we can get 2 of 4 next season it'll help, but 3 of 4 would be preferable.

How many of those "departments" do you see this program excelling within next season?

vCash
    by bringing up tom crean without acknowledging the differences in the 2 coaches' track records is directly comparing the 2.
    No, it isn't. It's saying, 'Look what happened when a really good coach took over a dumpster fire. So there's no way to know yet how good Ray is.'

There is a distinct difference between that and, 'Crean had a tough time, too, so Ray = Crean'.

vCash
    Richard Williams went 7-21 his 1st season when he took over this awful program. He and John Brady went out and recruited a large group of freshmen that offseason that led us to an SEC title in Williams 5th year. Williams last went to a Sweet 16 and then to a FF with the help of recruiter Rick Standsbury.

Rob Evans took over a terrible Ole Miss program in 1993. It was his 1st HC gig. He went 10-18, 14-13, 8-19, and 12-15 in his first 4 seasons. He then led them to back to back NCAA Tourney appearances and had left a foundation for Rod Barnes who inherited a golden situation from which he reaped early rewards.

You ****ers keep acting like coaches are coming into the SEC and turning programs around immediately when in reality almost nobody is. You cany honestly count Kentucky- they are not like everyone else. This Stansbury Lover myth that it only takes a couple of players to turn a basketball program around isnt being proven anywhere. So the only coach to come in the league and make a big impact in recent memory was Bruce Pearl- and we saw what happened there. But even with that- Peterson left Pearl Chris Lofton, CJ Watson, Major Wingate, and Andre Patterson...all very good SEC players. What very good SEC player was Ray left with? And dont give me the Hood shit- he was already out there door and had feelers out for transferring since February.

We'll learn what Ray is about the next 2 seasons

Banned
    vCash
    Not sure, but our 2010 baseball team finished the year 3-16 after beat Tennessee on Super Bulldog Weekend and Alcorn, starting with the Alabama series. Swept by Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn and Vanderbilt all in a row. Also included losses to Jackson State and USM. This basketball season is going similarly, honestly, and many people are drawing parallels to that year. Of course, the Ray-haters are choosing not to see this obvious comparison, but I digress.

At the end of the day, at least the baseball team scored a win over USM and LSU to end that year. It helped springboard us into the following year. That's all I really want Ray to do, just win something here at the end, even if it's just South Carolina. One more besides that would give us hope for next year.

vCash
    i'm not a ray hater, i'm just saying that you have to understand why people have a shorter leash with ray than they did with cohen. or than indiana fans had with crean. and despite their proven track records, they both had plenty of detractors after early struggles at their new gigs. so if you can't grasp why fans would really start questioning ray's chances of success right now, then you have your own agenda you are pushing.

and please don't call me a standsbury lover, mmmkay. it's possible to not be a stansbury lover and question ray as the future of our program. they are not mutually exclusive opinions.