Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i fully support John Cohen...

Banned
    vCash

i fully support John Cohen...

He is a great coach and I am proud to have him but his fascination with Derrick Armstrong boggles my mind. Why in the world is he ever starting for an Omaha caliber team in beyond my comprehension!

Banned
    vCash
    now watch him go 4-4 tonight and make me look like an idiot!

vCash
    Armstrong hit almost as high as Renfroe the 2nd half of the season last year
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Not this again. How many times do we have to explain it?

ETA: Here it is...one more time...

These threads are redundant...

The first 2 months of the season will be COMPLETELY FILLED with "mind bottling" personnel decisions, lineups, pitching substitutions, etc... and this putting of "strange players into strange circumstances" is what has basically allowed us to outmanage everyone for the last month and in the postseason -- because Cohen knows "our team" situationally better than almost anyone else in the country. How does he know this? Because he uses the early season as his own experiment.
    Last edited by engie; 02-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.

vCash
    To quote Burgess Meredeth: "We need speed. Speed's what we need. Greasy, fast speed!"

Banned
    vCash
    speed don't matter when you can't get on base. His uncanny ability to hit into double plays at crucial times drives me nuts. He don't seem to be that fast then.

vCash
    It's early season and you try things-especially with a talented roster.

vCash
    True; hopefully that will change. I do love when he pinch-runs though. The guy is a blur.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Not this again. How many times do we have to explain it?

ETA: Here it is...one more time...

I understand this... my point is he has tried it a million times with Armstrong and it just don't work... AGAIN LET ME SAY... I trust that what Cohen does 99 percent of the time leads to our teams peaking at the right time, but I think Armstrong falls into that 1 percent of the time where it doesn't. just my opinion .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    speed don't matter when you can't get on base. His uncanny ability to hit into double plays at crucial times drives me nuts. He don't seem to be that fast then.
    Hendo hits into the double plays- not Armstrong

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It's early season and you try things-especially with a talented roster.
    I agree with this, but the amount of talent on this roster tends to usually fade guys like Armstrong out.

vCash
    I understand this... my point is he has tried it a million times with Armstrong and it just don't work... AGAIN LET ME SAY... I trust that what Cohen does 99 percent of the time leads to our teams peaking at the right time, but I think Armstrong falls into that 1 percent of the time where it doesn't. just my opinion .
    dude- Armstrong hit .266 last year- you're acting like he batted .189

Banned
    vCash
    Hindu makes up for it with clutch hitting at other times. Armstrong hit into 1 DP this weekend that was at a very crucial time. Did it several times last year as well. But either way... In Cohen We Trust.

Banned
    vCash
    dude- Armstrong hit .266 last year- you're acting like he batted .189
    Good Lawd it didn't seem like it, I thought it was more along the lines of .150 If this is correct then I stand corrected and will shut up.

vCash
    Good Lawd it didn't seem like it, I thought it was more along the lines of .150 If this is correct then I stand corrected and will shut up.
    We were a very good hitting team last year. Demarcus Henderson had a better year than Tanner Mathis- the lead off guy for Ole Miss.

Banned
    vCash
    my ONLY real question about this team is where will we replace Adam Fraziers 900000000 hits. That guy was like a machine.

vCash
    Armstrong- .266...hit into 3 DP's (Hendo hit into 9)...OBP- .356...4/5 SB's

vCash
    my ONLY real question about this team is where will we replace Adam Fraziers 900000000 hits. That guy was like a machine.
    Frazier was actually better as a sophomore than he was last year. We may not be able to replace his hits, but we can get his "bases"- think Moneyball- in other ways such as stolen bases and things like that.

And yes, I know Moneyball was not big about stolen bases, but when you can't sign pro hitters and you are a college team, you have to rely on speed a little bit more.

vCash
    I don't think I will ever get over Hendo not getting the bunt down and promptly hitting into a double play in game 1 against UCLA.

Banned
    vCash
    Main reason is because he's right handed. Armstrong may surprise down the stretch, Cohen loves his hitting and many JUCOs hit their peak near the second half of their second year. And it's not all on Armstrong, Vickerson/Robson/Brown haven't stepped up either and taken the LF position. For that matter, Henderson has never really stepped up and took the RF position. He does just good enough.