Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the Rick Ray fans

vCash

Question for the Rick Ray fans

If he is supposedly such a great teacher of the game and developer of talent, why is our shooting percentage this year sooo bad? Why has Gavin Ware and Fred Thomas' play gotten worse?

Honestly the only 2 players on our team who have improved are Sword (who still can't shoot a lick) and Bloodman (hardest playing kid on our team gets the most out of what he has).

I have been giving Ray a chance but after last night there isn't much to say. We could very likely have a 12 game losing streak going into the South Carolina home game the last sat of the regular season.

Im not saying he needs to go, just wondering when and how we will ever turn the corner, especially since we dont have any top 4 star type recruits coming in next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMsDawg View Post
    If he is supposedly such a great teacher of the game and developer of talent, why is our shooting percentage this year sooo bad? Why has Gavin Ware and Fred Thomas' play gotten worse? .
    2014 Ware: 10.5 PPG...7.6 Rebs...59.8 % from field...63.6 FT
    2013 Ware: 8.4 PPG... 6.4 Rebs...54.2% from field...56.2 FT

2014 Thomas: 8,4 PPG...3.1 Rebs...34.4% from field...29.4% from 3
    2013 Thomas: 9.7 PPG....3.5 Rebs...32.8% from field...23.8% from 3

Why are you lying about Ware and Thomas?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    2014 Team shooting- 44.1% from field....65% from FT....29.9% from 3
    2013 Team shooting- 40.1% from field...65% from FT...28.4% from 3 (and that was with Jalen Steele shooting 3's last year)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Coach you may enjoy watching what was on the court last night, but I don't.

The fact remains our fans aren't very happy about performances like last night by our basketball team as much as you try to spin it.

EVERYBODY and i mean EVERYBODY has been winning at home and we had a very winable game last night and got run off our own floor.

If anybody thinks that Thomas is better this year as opposed to last they are crazy, hes scared shitless to shoot the ball half of the time.

Ware has yet to expand his game outside of the paint he posts hard but can only score when he gets in the paint, his post moves lack and he has yet to show his ability to face up and knock down a 12-15 foot jumper.

Jacolby Davis has been a HUGE disappointment.

The fact remains we could very likely have a 12 game losing streak going into the South Carolina game. Barry Booker said it last week and I chuckled at it saying no way we lose to Georgia at home but boy was I wrong.

By the way this is the same Georgia team minus an NBA 1st round pick that we beat at Athens last year.

Keep on spinning Coach, last night was the WORST MSU home loss I can remember in recent memory.

vCash
    2014 Team shooting- 44.1% from field....65% from FT....29.9% from 3
    2013 Team shooting- 40.1% from field...65% from FT...28.4% from 3 (and that was with Jalen Steele shooting 3's last year)
    FG shooting 11th in the SEC
    FT shooting 13th in the SEC
    3pt shooting 14th in the SEC

Hey but in your eyes thats REAL IMPROVEMENT

vCash
    I just pointed out that both players had indeed improved. Sorry if that hurts your feelings that you were just flat out wrong on both of them

vCash
    FG shooting 11th in the SEC
    FT shooting 13th in the SEC
    3pt shooting 14th in the SEC

Hey but in your eyes thats REAL IMPROVEMENT
    Well, if you're discussing improvement, the question is not where we stand in the SEC, it's whether or not we have improved....and we have. That is a fact, it can't be disputed.

You may believe we haven't improved enough, and that's fine, but when your players stay the same, you're never going to see huge jumps in shooting %, and it has nothing to do with coaching.

Why are we not all 'Rick Ray fans'? Every Mississippi State fan should be a Rick Ray fan. That doesn't mean you believe he is the man for the job, but everyone should be supporting him and hoping he excels.

Anyone who believed guys like Trivante Bloodman and Roquez Johnson were suddenly going to become all-SEC players, or that we could move from a really bad team to a good one in one year purely on 'coaching' was delusional to begin with. This is taking the time that everyone knew it would take.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, if you're discussing improvement, the question is not where we stand in the SEC, it's whether or not we have improved....and we have. That is a fact, it can't be disputed.

You may believe we haven't improved enough, and that's fine, but when your players stay the same, you're never going to see huge jumps in shooting %, and it has nothing to do with coaching.

Why are we not all 'Rick Ray fans'? Every Mississippi State fan should be a Rick Ray fan. That doesn't mean you believe he is the man for the job, but everyone should be supporting him and hoping he excels.

Anyone who believed guys like Trivante Bloodman and Roquez Johnson were suddenly going to become all-SEC players, or that we could move from a really bad team to a good one in one year purely on 'coaching' was delusional to begin with. This is taking the time that everyone knew it would take.
    I agree with this. Rick Ray is not going to improve a players shooting tremendously, nor is any other coach in my opinion.

We need to support Rick Ray as our coach. Like you say, people may not feel he was the right hire for the job, but regardless he's our coach and he needs time. My requirement for him in year 3 would be to get a full roster, i am already tired of hearing that. In year 3, we need a full roster of players.

My problem is with the hire, not the job Ray is doing. Stans had to go, it was time. However, hiring a first year coach to a program that you are about to nuke and start over was a bad decision. Also, he had no ties to Mississippi or the SEC, and that has got to be hurting is recruiting.

vCash
    Coach...looks as if you have your hands full on this one. Not criticizing you...just stating what appears to be fact.

vCash
    I don't dislike Ray at all, but as of right now he's really had the team ill prepared in this current 6 game losing streak. We played good and hard vs Florida but since then we haven't seemed to have clicked and have been hard to watch offensively. Almost to the point our guys are afraid to shoot the ball and all we look to do is either get Chicken to drive to the goal in hope of getting a foul or trying to post up Ware in the paint.

I have turned off more MSU basketball games this year in the 2nd half this year than I have in my life due to us playing so bad.

I may hurt some people's feelings on here, but USM's hire of Donnie Tyndall look like a homerun hire. I said the entire time we were looking for a coach it would be a great hire if we hired a good up and coming head coach from a mid-major conference and we almost did in Bryce Drew.

vCash
    Here's the problem with recruiting in general. The southeast is the Sahara desert of basketball prospects. There are a few here and there but there aren't many.

MSU, Georgia, Auburn, Bama, Arkansas, Tennessee, vandy, LSU are all pretty bad. OM isn't "good" but is by comparison. Why? The overall talent base is terrible and the high school/AAU coaching is terrible. There is but one player from the above team in the nba mock and that's Johnny obraynt projected late 2nd

If want rapid improvement we either have to hit on a few guys like summers or go into the NE and Midwest to find some guys

vCash
    But look how Tyndall is doing it. Go look at their roster and you'll see it's with out of state juco guys. Tough to always bat a high % there

vCash
    The hire was the problem .We should have been prepare to pony up ,Coach wanted Marshall or Smart .Drew would have been a good one . Nevermind baseball is coming and this shit will fade away until next year.
    I don't dislike Ray at all, but as of right now he's really had the team ill prepared in this current 6 game losing streak. We played good and hard vs Florida but since then we haven't seemed to have clicked and have been hard to watch offensively. Almost to the point our guys are afraid to shoot the ball and all we look to do is either get Chicken to drive to the goal in hope of getting a foul or trying to post up Ware in the paint.

I have turned off more MSU basketball games this year in the 2nd half this year than I have in my life due to us playing so bad.

I may hurt some people's feelings on here, but USM's hire of Donnie Tyndall look like a homerun hire. I said the entire time we were looking for a coach it would be a great hire if we hired a good up and coming head coach from a mid-major conference and we almost did in Bryce Drew.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat from MSU View Post
    The hire was the problem .We should have been prepare to pony up ,Coach wanted Marshall or Smart .Drew would have been a good one . Nevermind baseball is coming and this shit will fade away until next year.

Thats the main reason I have been quiet bc I was giving Ray full support through the start of baseball season and here we are and our team is in the midst of a tailspin. Thank the lord for MSU baseball and Dudy Noble.

vCash
    Duke should have fired this guy for his first three seasons as well huh? I mean look at this record.... awful.

1980–81 Duke 17–13 6–8 T–5th
    1981–82 Duke 10–17 4–10 T–6th
    1982–83 Duke 11–17 3–11 7th

Oh wait, that's coach K!

vCash
    If he is supposedly such a great teacher of the game and developer of talent, why is our shooting percentage this year sooo bad? Why has Gavin Ware and Fred Thomas' play gotten worse?

Honestly the only 2 players on our team who have improved are Sword (who still can't shoot a lick) and Bloodman (hardest playing kid on our team gets the most out of what he has).

I have been giving Ray a chance but after last night there isn't much to say. We could very likely have a 12 game losing streak going into the South Carolina home game the last sat of the regular season.

Im not saying he needs to go, just wondering when and how we will ever turn the corner, especially since we dont have any top 4 star type recruits coming in next year.
    the South did rise again... welcome to the board hombre.

vCash
    I just pointed out that both players had indeed improved. Sorry if that hurts your feelings that you were just flat out wrong on both of them
    this season ain't over yet, they could be worse at the end. Also their stats should be better with shitty teams we have played. how about figure SEC games only. then you have apples to apples. if a Soph. doesn't have better stats than he did as a Freshman you should cut Him.

vCash

::fails to see how those numbers show improvement from thomas::

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    this season ain't over yet, they could be worse at the end. Also their stats should be better with shitty teams we have played. how about figure SEC games only. then you have apples to apples. if a Soph. doesn't have better stats than he did as a Freshman you should cut Him.
    We've also played Kentucky twice this year when we only played them once last year- plus we played SC twice last year- once this year. The seasons are what they are and the guys are definitely improved over last year. If you cant see it, I cant help ya
    Last edited by Coach34; 02-13-2014 at 06:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    That last sentence may be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.