Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A former player speaks about basketball

vCash

A former player speaks about basketball

Hello again fellow Dawgs. I felt it was time for me to speak out on the state of our basketball program. This team laid an egg last night against Georgia and it was very evident that no one was there to see it.Kind of like the day the "not so famous" Rick Ray took the job and didn't know how to ring a cowbell. I wonder what it felt like for our kids to run out of the tunnel last nite to see less people than they saw at the Union during lunch. Fortunately, I never had to experience that. I wonder if Coach Ray and his staff felt supported. Hmmmm....different angle huh.

Let me begin by making one thing clear. He was not my choice. I wasn't happy when I heard the news we had hired a guy who had never been a head coach and had no idea about recruiting the state of Mississippi. Like all of you, I was skeptical. Very skeptical. I still haven't formally met him by the way. I didn't think he would win an SEC game last year and I certainly didn't expect him to win four. Especially with no one behind him. I thought he should have gotten votes for coach of the year with what he had to work with. And yes, I'm dead serious.

It's time to make a stand. Whether you agree or not I really don't care, I'm just keeping it real (like I did two years ago). Give the guy a freakin' chance people. He can coach. All of you should go to a practice and see what I mean. There is actually teaching going on from the head coach for the first time in a long time in The Hump. And his kids would run out into traffic for him. There is something to be said for that nowadays believe me. Instead of crying about the good ole days when we underachieved with an IMMENSE level of talent, why not get behind this team and appreciate how far RR has brought this program since he took over. He is 13-11 after inheriting an absolute disaster with no time to go after any players. The problem here is not with the coach or the administration. It is with our fair-weather fan base who is still satisfied with beating Ole Miserable, winning the West (and an occasional SEC tourney) and never getting past the second round of the dance. I said it two years ago, so if you missed it pay attention this time. That's wasn't good enough... because unfortunately the Final Four set the bar for this program. Period.

How can we expect RR to be successful with no support ? This coach and these kids deserve more than what they are getting from the MSU family. We expect this guy to recruit and get big time guys, but players won't come to The Hump if the think no one will be there to watch them. The attendance this year is appalling and I included should be ashamed I haven't been there more (even if it is 8 hours round trip). Believe me I am no better than any of you. The only difference is that I am taking responsibility for it. Time to call a spade a spade. Me included.

This team actually has a chance at post season play and we all should marvel at the fact that we are two players away from being pretty good this soon. We were patient with Mullen and Cohen weren't we?? To build a basketball team you must solidify each position with good players 1 thru 5 then add a couple of role players. He has five opportunities to do that after the season. Three of those are already complete. We have no shooters and no defensive presence in the post. If those two are added this team will be pretty dang good...especially defensively. Let's talk about how much Chicken (Sword's nickname for those still following football recruiting) has developed since Wes Flanagan arrived in Starkville. Or how about the fact that we have a legitimate point guard who is a leader with a big time future (Wes Flanagan recruit btw). Gavin Ware can play but he needs another big along side him to take some pressure off. Let's focus on the good things and give this staff a full recruiting season to develop a nucleus. There are some pieces in place already. RR has been our coach for five minutes and all I here is he isn't winning. Give the man some time!!! And don't give me that our only players are Stans recruits...no one wants to talk about why recruits and (at the time) current players didn't keep their commitments. Trust me. IJ Ready is gonna be a star and was recruited by a guy who knows what it takes at this level. I know because I had to play against him. Wes will be a solid head coach one day. And when he gets a head job RR will have put the same amount of assistants into head jobs as Stans did. And I'm being very generous including Phil Cunningham getting the Troy job because of our former leader. It only took 15 years. Tell you anything?

Anyone understand we were behind in the recruiting game when these guys were hired last year? I don't know whether this program will be where we want it to be in two years, but it's time to rally behind them and show them the same sort of affection I was shown when we went 12-18 the year after the Final Four. It just isn't fair. Bobby Knight would have had a hard time being 13-11 right now with 8 scholarship players. And don't even get me started on where our previous coach would be sitting right now if he would have inherited the mess this program was left in. Looks like to me we got spoiled with winning 20 games and folding come March and April. Again, not good enough for me. "Oh, but we got a bad draw and had to play Texas in Dallas when we were a 3 seed". Life isn't fair people. I know many don't agree and I really don't care. Haters are gonna hate so go right ahead. STILL keeping it real.

Here's an idea. One week from Saturday is MSU alumni basketball weekend. How about coming out and battling with this team instead of giving up on them. Last year (for the first time in 20 years) we were all asked to return by the current staff and celebrate the time we had in my beloved Starkville. Many of us have an enormous amount sweat equity in that place and know what it means to wear the maroon and white. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't always represent our school with the most dignity and I am sorry for that. I truly am. I should have done better for you
    guys, but God had a different plan that I wouldn't change in a second. But there was never a time I ran out of that tunnel where I didn't feel like the Bulldawg nation was behind me. I actually saw people in the seats. I feel sorry for these kids. RR has involved the former players that make up the tradition of Mississippi State and that is the foundation for building a program. Sorry, people but that's the truth anywhere. Kids have to see faces in person not ghosts on the wall. I will be there next weekend and so will many former players that took pride in wearing the Maroon and White. It would be nice if these kids had a full house behind them against Arkansas at least once this season. Don't do it for those of us who will be coming back; do it for these kids who are working their butts off and are trying to build for the future. Let's show them why The Hump is the hardest place to play in the league when we show up.

Bravo Rick Ray and how far this program has come since you have been in Starkville. This team has fallen on hard times the last couple of weeks and instead of yelling about what should or shouldn't have been done two years ago, we need to rally behind these kids and prove to them that we are all still here. Staying stuck in the problem gets no one anywhere...EVER.

News Flash: Stans is gone and isn't coming back. So get over it and be a true MSU basketball fan no matter who is walking the sidelines. I love this University and just couldn't keep hearing all the negativity. I hope to see you all next weekend. Go Dawgs!!!

Bart Hyche
    MSU Bulldog
    Last edited by Coach34; 02-13-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Great read. Well done by someone who has been there

vCash
    He has a helluva point- we expect Ray to land a recruit like Malik Newman while we play in front of crowds of 1,500? Good ****ing luck

vCash
    Very good. Bravo.

vCash
    Wow... an injection of a little unemotional truth

vCash
    What I got out of it is he thinks MSU basketball sucks because of the fans. If you want butts in the seat don't continue to get beat by 20. Who wants to drive 2 plus hours to see a half ass effort put forth. It goes both ways. I think it is 50/50. Yes fans should go to the game but the team has to improve as well. He shouild have just left Mullen out of the conversation. Mullen has delivered from day one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedawg View Post
    Wow... an injection of a little unemotional truth
    Unemotional? LMAO.

vCash
    On the flip side of that- it's hard to win when you are less talented and you have no home court advantage....Mullen was coaching in front of packed houses his 1st season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    News Flash: Stans is gone and isn't coming back. So get over it and be a true MSU basketball fan no matter who is walking the sidelines. I love this University and just couldn't keep hearing all the negativity. I hope to see you all next weekend. Go Dawgs!!!
    AMEN. Rick Ray is our coach. We aren't firing him any time soon. We aren't going to Polk 2.0 ourselves again. Get over it, and get on board. Empty seats, negativity, and bitching do nothing but try to guarantee a few more years of bad basketball.

For those still mourning the loss of Stans, do you want to be right, or do you want to succeed?

Thanks for being a great Bulldog, Bart.

vCash
    The effort is there ... When u have zero bench to give ur bigs a blow, hell to even give your 2 and 3 a blow it takes it toll on the second half. Lack of effort no . Lack of talent yes .

vCash
    Excellent read. I'd like to think this is going to finally bring all the armchair athletic directors back to reality... but sadly I doubt it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Unemotional? LMAO.
    I meant that wasnt like the hundreds of other posts from fans over the last 24 hours that say... "we suck" "we are horrible" "Rick Ray sucks" "we need a new coach" ..... it wasnt your typical emotional grating fan post after a loss...

vCash
    The fans having nothing to do with a group of guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn, PERIOD. Bart can take that shit somewhere else. We are not getting Malik regardless of the attendance. There are plenty of teams in the Sun Belt, the Southland, and any other small conference that have better talent then we do. Defense is nothing more then desire and hustle, and at times we have it. Offense is where talent and athleticism come into play, and right now we really don't have much, if any at all!!

vCash
    Whether you agree with him or not it is good to see former players care about the program.

Banned
    vCash
    Guys the hire was totally botched. Hire Bruce Pearl and this will all be fixed immediately. Scott Stricklin I'm looking at you for creating this whole mess.

vCash
    I know we arent getting Newman either and never were- but what recruit want to play in front of tens of fans? How can you recruit with guys seeing that on visits?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    The fans having nothing to do with a group of guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn, PERIOD. Bart can take that shit somewhere else. We are not getting Malik regardless of the attendance. There are plenty of teams in the Sun Belt, the Southland, and any other small conference that have better talent then we do. Defense is nothing more then desire and hustle, and at times we have it. Offense is where talent and athleticism come into play, and right now we really don't have much, if any at all!!
    That's total bullshit. You are telling me we wouldn't play not one bit better in front of 8,000 people instead of 2,000? Come on. Use some common sense. OUr best games were played in front of a packed Hump, regardless of who we were playing or how poorly coached we were. Pack the Hump and I guarantee this team would play better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    On the flip side of that- it's hard to win when you are less talented and you have no home court advantage....Mullen was coaching in front of packed houses
    his 1st season
    I'm not arguing with your point. My initial thought though was Dan Mullen was an assistant on a team that had just won a national championship and had a heisman qb. Rick Ray was a guy most had to google to find out who he was and even that didnt say much. I agree we need butts in the seats, but its not a stretch to see why they aren't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    What I got out of it is he thinks MSU basketball sucks because of the fans. If you want butts in the seat don't continue to get beat by 20. Who wants to drive 2 plus hours to see a half ass effort put forth. It goes both ways. I think it is 50/50. Yes fans should go to the game but the team has to improve as well. He shouild have just left Mullen out of the conversation. Mullen has delivered from day one.
    1. Ray can coach.

2. He needs to recruit.

3. The fans need to help him out by attending the games.

4. Mullen's starting point had a lot more roster and talent than Ray had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    1. Ray can coach.

2. He needs to recruit.

3. The fans need to help him out by attending the games.

4. Mullen's starting point had a lot more roster and talent than Ray had.
    Agree 100% on all points