Thread: Caught some reds

vCash

Caught some reds

In gulf. I dont love reds. My buddy suggested something different. Marinate in salsa and italian dressing and grill skin down. Sounded nasty. Tasted tastey.

vCash
    ok Ennis - your stock just went up a little ... fishermen > democrats ... there's hope for you bro !

vCash
    I grew up on a farm mayne....I took the good things when I left, not the bad things

vCash
    Sweet. I love the redfish on the half-shell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    In gulf. I dont love reds. My buddy suggested something different. Marinate in salsa and italian dressing and grill skin down. Sounded nasty. Tasted tastey.
    How big were the reds? Just curious if doing that can let you cook a little bigger reds than otherwise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    How big were the reds? Just curious if doing that can let you cook a little bigger reds than otherwise
    I would "half-shell" any redfish in the slot 21-29 inches. Id throwback the Bulls 30 and over. Filet the small ones

vCash
    They were big. Probably close to 2 feet long. One person might could finish one if they were really hungry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    They were big. Probably close to 2 feet long. One person might could finish one if they were really hungry
    That is perfect half shell size. I need to go restock my freezer but it won't be til March

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I would "half-shell" any redfish in the slot 21-29 inches. Id throwback the Bulls 30 and over. Filet the small ones
    I "half-shelled" a couple around the 29-30 in. mark. It did not work out well. I've had them up to 24 in. and they've been fine but never gone bigger until I tried those two.

vCash
    I "half-shelled" a couple around the 29-30 in. mark. It did not work out well. I've had them up to 24 in. and they've been fine but never gone bigger until I tried those two.
    The very top of the slot (29-30) gets tough to do. I love catching them that big for sport but if I could pick what I'd catch, I'd fill my limit with fish no bigger than 24 inches. A large serrated bread knife is a must for big reds. Can't use the same lil filet knife you use for a 15 inch trout

vCash
    I prefer the 18.5" reds or 16.5", if fishing in LA. Those small slot reds are great.

vCash
    Do any of you guys do the mayonnaise on the reds on the grill?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg33 View Post
    I paint with lemon butter 9 times out of 10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg33 View Post
    No but ill try anything once? Recipe?

vCash
    On the mayonnaise, take your half-shelled red and slather mayo all over the meat with a knife. Sprinkle Tony's or lemon pepper or whatever seasoning you like over it. You can also put thin slices of lemon on top. Grill scales down til the meat starts flaking. The mayo apparently keeps the fish from drying out, and it'll kind of crust over.
    Bass are also good grilled like this. They just don't take as long to cook. I had a charter mate out of Gulf Shores take a red snapper filet and do the mayo and Tony's trick, only he nuked it in the microwave. I couldn't believe how good it was.

vCash
    Would like to know about actual size of fish reds. Just curious if you upload some pictures here so that I can caught a rough estimate. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by interangler; 03-01-2014 at 02:41 AM.