Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Winter Storm Monday/Tuesday

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

Possible Winter Storm Monday/Tuesday

Okay, as many of you have noticed there is a strong possibility of wintry precip early on this week. The particular time frame for our area is late Monday night into Tuesday morning. For the Highway 82 corridor it will mainly be a wintry mix with sleet/freezing rain. Possible accumulations of 1" in some places. Memphis area is looking more like snow. Possibly 9 hours of snowfall if the models verify. The steepest angle for wintry precipitation is about a straight line from Vicksburg to Starkville and that will most likely be your freezing line which will divide the rain/freezing rain precipitation. Tomorrow we should have as good of an idea for what kind of precipitation we will have. I'm not saying panic, but if you live from Highway 82 corridor to the north, I would prepare.
    On a separate note, this is kinda weird with this happening near the 20th anniversary of the 1994 Ice Storm. I'm not saying that this will be the same magnitude of '94 but it will certainly be one of the first times we have gotten ice in the 82 corridor in a while (4-5 years if I remember correctly).
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    ***I suddenly have an urge to buy milk and bread.***
    "I ring cowbells at ballgames."

vCash

Ref, with you being our resident weatherman hoping you might answer something for me.

Was speaking with a buddy of mine yesterday and we were discussing a major snow/ice storm here in North Ms sometime in the mid 80's. I want to say it was '85 but he disagrees with me. I was still in HS but my sister was at State at the time and it was somewhere between '83 and '86 if I'm not mistaken and Starkville was hit hard but in Monroe County we had almost 4 to 5 inches of mostly ice here. Worst winter storm I ever remember in these parts. Can you advise the year?

vCash
    I believe that was winter 1984. I seem to remember driving from Columbus to Greenville on a very icy Hwy 82 when that happened.
    Last edited by Joe Schmedlap; 02-09-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Wrong date

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Was speaking with a buddy of mine yesterday and we were discussing a major snow/ice storm here in North Ms sometime in the mid 80's. I want to say it was '85 but he disagrees with me. I was still in HS but my sister was at State at the time and it was somewhere between '83 and '86 if I'm not mistaken and Starkville was hit hard but in Monroe County we had almost 4 to 5 inches of mostly ice here. Worst winter storm I ever remember in these parts. Can you advise the year?
    I'm not exactly sure when that storm was. That was before my time. I was only 2 when the '94 Ice Storm occurred.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I lived through the Ice Storm of '94. It was glorious!

vCash
    Not The Ref but I remember a bad one here in the fall of '87. I also remember it snowed April Fool's night in '87.

vCash
    If anyone wants to, I can do an in-depth hangout briefing around 5:00 PM. I'll post the link soon.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Sure! I need to know if I can stay up late tomorrow night and throw a few back or if I need to get ready to go to work at 6am Tuesday.

vCash
    Salty dog, I think you may be referring to December 1979. I was in high school at the time over in the Arkansas delta and remember having no electricity for more than a week.

Edited to say it might have been the first of January 1980. Just recall it was right after Christmas.
    Last edited by Cowbells; 02-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbells View Post
    Salty dog, I think you may be referring to December 1979. I was in high school at the time over in the Arkansas delta and remember having no electricity for more than a week.

Edited to say it might have been the first of January 1980. Just recall it was right after Christmas.
    Same Cowbells from Bulldawgs 24/7?

vCash
    No, sorry

vCash
    I remember the '94 ice storm when a large portion of the Ross Barnett Reservoir froze over. Temps got into the single digits for a few days.

vCash
    Okay. Here is the link if anyone wants to watch me go through a forecast and discuss the in-depth analysis for this system. I'll be beginning shortly, until then I can talk small stuff.
    https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/7...fcu3ploc?hl=en
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Five minute warning on the Google+ hangout concerning the latest forecast.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Salty I'm pretty sure spot on. It was the winter of 85/86. I Was a senior in high school.
    They let school out 5 min early lol. Getting home was a mess. We had thunder snow at Cumberland high school.

vCash

DLG, YES.....It was the only time I've ever seen it Thunder while snowing........

Worst freezing rain I've ever seen til this day and much worse than the storm of '94 that everyone is referencing........

vCash
    Graphics are great. The audio works about 5 seconds every three minutes.
    I wish I could hear you. Sorry.

vCash
    Worst freezing rain I've ever seen til this day and much worse than the storm of '94 that everyone is referencing........
    Rite there at the school the sky turned frickin green for a short period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Fillmore View Post
    Graphics are great. The audio works about 5 seconds every three minutes.
    I wish I could hear you. Sorry.
    Dangit....well the basic gist of it is that the models are suggesting the snow to stop just south of Memphis. From that line to about the Highway 82 corridor you can expect sleet or freezing rain (mostly freezing rain). Anything south of highway 82 you can expect mostly rain with MAYBE some freezing rain mixed in.

ETA: I will work on the audio problems and hopefully have myself working more steadily for the next time I do this. Quick poll: Who would be interested in a weekly weather briefing?
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner