Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Georgia renovating their baseball stadium.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post
    For the weekends, I agree. But the answer to that is simply to keep the grandstand open. Done. This is already happening on the weekday games. Easy fix. So in essence I think that problem is much more simple, no ticket exchange needed.
    Agreed- opening the grandstand would be a nice, quick fix until we get the new grandstand built.

However, this only works for games where the grandstand doesn't get packed. And we still need a good general admission seating area, which can accommodate coolers and such. Love it or hate it, but Ole Miss has done a great job with this.
    Which is why I want us to have the ability to bring in some temporary seating/bleachers for the really big weekends to accommodate the crowds. We can then take it out for normal weekends.

As far as a GA spot in the outfield for coolers, I'd like to put LFL in left field, a terrace in right center for general young alumni/walk-up fans and families with coolers, and then a place in the right field corner for students.

ETA: And while UM did some nice stuff for their stadium, I don't want our outfield GA section to look like their Oakes Pavilion thing. It's just too bland for my taste, and I think we can come up with something more unique.
    Last edited by messageboardsuperhero; 02-07-2014 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    I get why people think Bama doesn't support baseball -- but in the longterm, you are wrong.

There was a time not very long ago when they were competing with us/LSU for the best crowds in the country when they were also good. And they will eventually be good again. Their lack of investment in the program has certainly hurt fan support somewhat -- as has their fall from relevance.

Make no mistake -- all-time, Bama is an equal if not slightly better baseball program than MSU. Not fan support wise in the past 15 years, but overall...

vCash
    We've sold 5,900 season tickets (approximately, check the article from a week or so ago), which is apparently a record. The other 1500-1600 you speak of is obviously general admission. So we're going to build a stadium with 5,900 plus whatever our growth is. If it's 7,000, so be it. But that's a "huge ass stadium" any way you look at it. And it still won't have room for the general admission crowd. I'm guessing this thing will have two decks with the concourse deal in between, so we'll be able to conserve space.
    My thing is -- we've sold 1600 more tickets than we have seats at this point. What's to say that wouldn't continue in a rebuild?

We need 7k+ chairbacks -- but we don't need that number to be capped in the design-- we need to build in a way that allows expansion if/when need be similar to how Arkansas has done at Baum and really LSU has done at Alex Box.

Banned
    vCash
    No way. The only thing they EVER had on us was that they reached the ch'ip in 1997. Now we've matched that. 9 CWS appearances to their 5. Bigger stadium, bigger fanbase. Not sure where you're getting that info. I'm not sure on SEC Ch'ips, Tournament Ch'ips and regional appearances, but I'm guessing we've got them beat there too.

Arkansas and Florida are closer to MSU than Bama. LSU and Carolina are clearly ahead. Georgia could be considered better because they have hardware, but less overall.

vCash
    No way. The only thing they EVER had on us was that they reached the ch'ip in 1997. Now we've matched that. 9 CWS appearances to their 5. Bigger stadium, bigger fanbase. Not sure where you're getting that info. I'm not sure on SEC Ch'ips, Tournament Ch'ips and regional appearances, but I'm guessing we've got them beat there too.

Arkansas and Florida are closer to MSU than Bama. LSU and Carolina are clearly ahead. Georgia could be considered better because they have hardware, but less overall.
    - They own the head to head against us.
    - They've got an all-time better conference record than us.
    - More all-time wins
    - 2 CWS championship games/series

It's close -- and I have to admit, I thought they had been to Omaha more than 5 times -- but to pretend they are and have always been second rate is pretty far fetched -- which is all I was saying.

vCash
    Alabama finished runner-up to Texas at the1983 college world series. Same Texas team that eliminated State in the regional during Palmeiro and Clark's freshman year.

LSU baseball program was nothing until Bertman got there by hook or by crook.

vCash
    However long it takes to fund it, we need a wrecking ball and new construction. Anything else would be a disappointment because the new baseball stadiums like Trustmark, New Alex box and alabama's have made ours obsolete.

We care about baseball here, we have passion for it, and great tradition. The pilgrimage to Omaha this past year for the national championship games was incredible.

Our baseball program's status commands new construction. Anything less would be inapropriate.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    However long it takes to fund it, we need a wrecking ball and new construction. Anything else would be a disappointment because the new baseball stadiums like Trustmark, New Alex box and alabama's have made ours obsolete.

We care about baseball here, we have passion for it, and great tradition. The pilgrimage to Omaha this past year for the national championship games was incredible.

Our baseball program's status commands new construction. Anything less would be inapropriate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post

Nice! What happened with our fanbase in Omaha last June, in the world of D1 college baseball, is the stuff of legend. It was something even the locals/CWS folks publicly said they had never, ever seen before. And that includes the mighty LSU Tigers and their dominance. So yes, we MUST have the shining jewel in college baseball venues and absolutely nothing less than that. What Schultzy said.