Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia renovating their baseball stadium.

vCash

Georgia renovating their baseball stadium.

Putting 12 million in the existing stadium. Capacity will remain about 3000. Another sec school putting some serious money in baseball.

vCash
    Yes, Georgia is about to get very serious about baseball. They have some alumni that have been wondering why they are having losing seasons every year with all the talent in that state along with the Hope Scholarship. And I don't blame them.

Their baseball coach that they just hired is very good.

As far as how it pertains to MSU- I think Cohen realizes this and we're going to see him recruit California a little bit more. We're still going to recruit Georgia as always- but it's going to be a little bit harder than it was in the past.

vCash
    When Alabama builds their 30 million stadium, will recruiting get harder in that state.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bully99 View Post
    When Alabama builds their 30 million stadium, will recruiting get harder in that state.
    Not after we finish building the new Mecca/Carnegie Hall of college baseball. Shock and Awe, bitches.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    But this wasn't happening** Isn't that the argument I had on here awhile back?

Surprised they are only spending $12mil. Must have had trouble raising the $$ -- initial figures were much higher.

And yes, Bama building a palace and getting serious about baseball makes it harder for us to recruit there as well. That's why we've got to blow them all out of the water and build the best college baseball has ever seen when we build the new one -- we've got to set a tone -- either be the best and elite -- or just "pretty good" and be surrounded by teams that have everything that we do -- and give up our generation worth of an advantage facility-wise.

vCash
    I don't think so. Not as long as we have Butch at least. Kids in Alabama- both Bama and Auburn fans know about MSU baseball and what we have as far as tradition.

Alabama and Auburn will always be football first schools, and in a lot of cases we are going to be on even or better terms when it comes to baseball recruiting.

Going to Omaha and building our own awesome stadium will off set anything Bama does.

Actually, Saban being there may help us as far as dual sport guys because it is well known that he doesn't want football players playing both sports and it's also well known that Dan and Cohen get along very well. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see Trent Simpson play baseball at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    But this wasn't happening** Isn't that the argument I had on here awhile back?

Surprised they are only spending $12mil. Must have had trouble raising the $$ -- initial figures were much higher.

And yes, Bama building a palace and getting serious about baseball makes it harder for us to recruit there as well. That's why we've got to blow them all out of the water and build the best college baseball has ever seen when we build the new one -- we've got to set a tone -- either be the best and elite -- or just "pretty good" and be surrounded by teams that have everything that we do -- and give up our generation worth of an advantage facility-wise.
    What's sad is Larry Templeton was OK with this option.

vCash
    I did read something about Georgia not raising as much money as they had hoped, but they are going ahead with the project. Some Georgia people are bitching that money should go towards a full football size indoor practice facility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What's sad is Larry Templeton was OK with this option.
    All indications are that Strick was too until very recently. LT 2.0 is alive and well.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    The big difference is that UGA's project is they are keeping the existing grandstand and not really adding capacity http://www.thegeorgiabulldogclub.com...R_brochure.pdf

It is all about luxury seating, the concourse and concession, and press area - which they have 0 of currently. While it looks really nice, this won't get them ahead of anyone in the SEC. I have to say that the Field Level suites look like a cool way to watch a game.

vCash
    Too bad we spent money on a basketball practice facility. Can we sell or repurpose that thing?

It's becoming more and more evident that we have to do this thing big and do it right, even if it means pushing the start date back a few months. Once a plan is made public, the excitement will be through the roof Hopefully, the funds will be too.

I think the timing is as good as it's going to be-

1. The team is good and full of personality that connect with fans.
    2. There's been enough time for the Polk disciples to kiss and make up with Cohen. If they haven't by now, they never will.
    3. Other SEC teams doing expansions increase the sense of ungency.
    3. Baseball is defintely due and there's no excuse for it not being the next thing on our list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The big difference is that UGA's project is they are keeping the existing grandstand and not really adding capacity http://www.thegeorgiabulldogclub.com...R_brochure.pdf

It is all about luxury seating, the concourse and concession, and press area - which they have 0 of currently. While it looks really nice, this won't get them ahead of anyone in the SEC. I have to say that the Field Level suites look like a cool way to watch a game.
    I was looking at your link and noticed one minor detail they left out of the drawing of the view from the field. They seem to think a pitcher's mound is not very important.

Banned
    vCash
    Doesn't matter. Neither does Alabama's. Auburn's renovation didn't help them either.

Sure, it's nice to have new things. But it's capacity and fan support, that make a program. Those 3 I just mentioned don't have it and likely never will. What they are doing basically amounts to routine maintenance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I was looking at your link and noticed one minor detail they left out of the drawing of the view from the field. They seem to think a pitcher's mound is not very important.
    That would explain a whole lot about their program. I have never understood why UGA can't sustain baseball success. I was lucky to have gone there for a rising SR camp in '90 right after they won the CWS - and Perno was my "team" coach that week. 95% of the kids there were Metro ATL - and most were guys I played against in Cobb HS's or hotbeds like Parkview and Redan or with the East Cobb travel program. They signed 1 kid from that group. They have a lot on their roster now from GA - but they always seem to miss on the top talent. We need to hope that Scott Sticklin's Evil Twin doesn't figure it out either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Too bad we spent money on a basketball practice facility. Can we sell or repurpose that thing?

It's becoming more and more evident that we have to do this thing big and do it right, even if it means pushing the start date back a few months. Once a plan is made public, the excitement will be through the roof Hopefully, the funds will be too.

I think the timing is as good as it's going to be-

1. The team is good and full of personality that connect with fans.
    2. There's been enough time for the Polk disciples to kiss and make up with Cohen. If they haven't by now, they never will.
    3. Other SEC teams doing expansions increase the sense of ungency.
    3. Baseball is defintely due and there's no excuse for it not being the next thing on our list.
    Great post. But I kinda disagree about #3(the first one). I think going "last" is a HUGE advantage to us. Everyone else will have already played their cards. We will know with relative certaintly what ALL of "our competitors" will be for the next 20+ years. This makes it really easy for us to know EXACTLY what we have to accomplish to build what will stand as the best stadium in college baseball for the next 15 years -- just like our last one was for the majority of our lifetimes. We will know what we've got to beat. Just got to step up and make it happen.

vCash

Interesting info

I heard from a former Bama student that the reason Bama is upgrading their baseball facilities is because their baseball facilities are the reason they lost Jameis Winston. Saban got pissed about it and all of the sudden they are making a big investment in baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That would explain a whole lot about their program. I have never understood why UGA can't sustain baseball success. I was lucky to have gone there for a rising SR camp in '90 right after they won the CWS - and Perno was my "team" coach that week. 95% of the kids there were Metro ATL - and most were guys I played against in Cobb HS's or hotbeds like Parkview and Redan or with the East Cobb travel program. They signed 1 kid from that group. They have a lot on their roster now from GA - but they always seem to miss on the top talent. We need to hope that Scott Sticklin's Evil Twin doesn't figure it out either.
    It all goes back to Polk's recruiting philosophy, which was carried over by Perno. That's to never chase truly elite talent -- and basically have pinky promises from everyone you sign that they won't go with MLB(which are players you evaluated as unworthy of an early round MLB offer). They were left trying to "evaluate" mid round or worse talent -- and then convince them that UGA was where they needed to be when none of the elite guys(that of course are acquaintances to these players) are even hearing from UGA, leaving it as kinda the "uncool" place to be. It's a perpetual cycle of ineptitude. Occasionally, they would "hit" on the right player and personality -- who would bring along a bunch of buddies -- and would make them a title contender for 2 years before they were back to the drawing board.

Fact is -- if you just hit those East Cobb travelling teams -- and manage to get the majority of them to come to school -- you are a PERPETUAL national title contender. If they ever get their fan support rocking for baseball and become a destination to kids in Ga like LSU is in LA or MSU is in MS, WATCH OUT, because they will be a ridiculous dynasty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Fact is -- if you just hit those East Cobb travelling teams -- and manage to get the majority of them to come to school -- you are a PERPETUAL national title contender. If they ever get their fan support rocking for baseball and become a destination to kids in Ga like LSU is in LA or MSU is in MS, WATCH OUT, because they will be a ridiculous dynasty.
    No doubt. My SR year I faced 10 pitchers in REGION PLAY that were either drafted and went pro or signed D1 scholarships. We only played 12 region games! Add in the 8 or so non-region tilts against Gwinnett & N. Fulton schools and non-region Cobb schools and that list hit closer to 15. It was insane - and that was 24 years ago. I was damn proud of my .250 BA and .500 OBP.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    If Stricklin doesn't bring down the grandstand, I will lose all faith in him as our AD. It is so obvious that the right decision is to start over- and if he can't figure that out with all the architects and boosters in his ear, then I'd be in favor of him catching the next train out of town. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but everyone knows what needs to be done to make our facilities the best again.

Luckily, I think Stricklin's starting to get it.

Banned
    vCash
    He's not stupid. I can't believe some of you keyboard jockeys really believe the stuff you type. What if an announcement is made where we ARE NOT rebuilding, and gulp, the it's the ARCHITECT'S actual recommendation?

Of course Scott is going to do what's best for MSU. Good Lord, I don't know if it's ego or what.