Wendell Lewis: lost scholarship

Brian Bryant: below average
    Jalen Steele: lost scholarship

Rodney Hood: transfer and future 1st round pick
    David Gardner: kicked off
    Deville Smith: kicked off
    Roq Johnson: average player
    Shawn Long: kicked off

This list speaks for itself. Stansbury fired Stansbury. I bring this up because those that don't remember history are bound to repeat it. For 10 years the signs were there with Stansbury. Ray needs to keep the players he signs and he needs to sign quality players. If he can do that he can have a more successful career than Stansbury. Ray also needs to add some nice transfers or jucos anytime he loses an existing player (Applewhite, Euro, Smith, Lewis, Steele) have been replaced by whom?

vCash
    Renardo Sidney: coach killer
    John Riek: transfer
    Shaun Smith: kicked off

Wow- looking at that grouped together...wow
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Every coach will have a bad year every once in awhile but Stansbury had terrible ones next to terrible ones. It's really amazing he won as much as he did when you look at who he signed and lost/transferred. He benefited tremendously from transfers. Rick Ray should take note of that. Stansbury was able to extend a career for 14 years that would of been cut in half without getting those quality transfers. We have an open scholarship and we should really consider having 2-3 open ones for next year imo. Go get some transfers and shooters from Juco. We can be a top 5 SEC team NEXT YEAR if we do just that.

vCash
    I think there needs to be one thing that people just need to come to grips with regarding college basketball.

Players are going to transfer. It sucks... and it really sucks when there is a contributor or potential contributor that does it... but it's going to happen.

vCash
    You left off Arnett.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    You left off Arnett.
    I didn't include any transfer ins. Just signees. I did give Stansbury huge credit for getting players to transfer in though. So far Ray has had zero players transfer into MSU. That needs to change imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I didn't include any transfer ins. Just signees. I did give Stansbury huge credit for getting players to transfer in though. So far Ray has had zero players transfer into MSU. That needs to change imo.
    This is what I hope we do with open scholarship

vCash
    Guys like Phil Turner and Brian Bryant would've excelled under Rick Ray.. Good hustle guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    You left off Arnett.
    Not a signee.

What stuck out to me was that Stans had 3 of the top 20 greatest MSU players of all-time on the same team for almost 4 years (Stewart, Bost, Jarvis) coupled together with some average guys who sometimes played above their potential (Ravern, Augustus). He whiffed on A LOT of players but got really lucky with those 3 + transfers. They basically went out there and street-balled. Imagine if they hustled and had a game plan. And imagine if we had depth and guys weren't required to play the entirety of both halves. The drop-off was horrific.
    Last edited by esplanade91; 01-20-2014 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Renardo Sidney: coach killer
    John Riek: transfer
    Shaun Smith: kicked off

Wow- looking at that grouped together...wow
    Yeah. Wow.

To have all of those non-talented players, discipline problems, and talent transfers and still be able to compete for championships, hang a few banners, make post season, win 20 games, and have the best W-L behind perennials UK and UF, I guess he must have been a pretty good coach.

Banned
    vCash
    False. UT, Bama, Mizzou, also have higher W-L. LSU, Arky, aTm and Vandy might too.

vCash
    It's been said before, but it bears repeating: Stands caught lightning in a bottle from 02-04. He got high character, hard working signees in Z, Timmy B, Winsome, Ontario, and Vincent. Then he got the 2 greatest gifts of all time in Roberts & Power.

The fact he couldn't make an NCAA Tourney, much less the Sweet 16, with a team that had Bost, Stewart, Varnado, Ravern, and August speaks volumes.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash

Jalen Steele is a piece the current team is missing.......His shooting abilities

would help this team tremendously.....We're severely lacking in this area........BTW, anyone know where Shaun Smith ended up?

Banned
    vCash
    Bost is not an MSU top 20. Maybe the bottom 20. The guy did more to poison the program than anyone. An absolute cancer. I don't understand the love for him. I would love to ban him from campus. The stories I could tell. Don't ever put him in the same category as Varnado. Jarvis gave MSU his best and I'm proud we had him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade91 View Post
    Not a signee.

What stuck out to me was that Stans had 3 of the top 20 greatest MSU players of all-time on the same team for almost 4 years (Stewart, Bost, Jarvis) coupled together with some average guys who sometimes played above their potential (Ravern, Augustus).
    Huh???? Ravern and Augustus sometimes played above their potential? Ravern should have been head and shoulders above Stewart and Augustus should have been better. They never sniffed their potential, Ravern because he was a lazy piece of shit and Kodi because he was a head case, although he probably came much closer to playing to his potential.

Stewart on the other hand maximized his potential probably more than any other player I've seen at State.

vCash
    There is no way in hell Rayyyvern touched a weight while he was at State. No way

vCash

Head to head ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    False. UT, Bama, Mizzou, also have higher W-L. LSU, Arky, aTm and Vandy might too.
    In the SEC, Stans had a winning record over every SEC team except KY, FL & UT. He 'owned' OM & Vandy. Look it up.

vCash

Are you going to keep a running tab on Ray too?

You can start with these:

Shaun Smith
    Kristers Zeidaks

Wendell Lewis
    Jalen Steele

Dre Applewhite - mid-year transfer

Also, Stans was the HC for 14 years ... name two of the 14 where he was down to eight scholarship players ready to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post

Shaun Smith
    Kristers Zeidaks

Wendell Lewis
    Jalen Steele

Also, Stans was the HC for 14 years ... name two of the 14 where he was down to eight scholarship players ready to play.
    A) other than Applewhite- those are all Stands signees. 3 of the 4 left because of the extreme drug use that had permeated the program

B) Stands took over the program over the summer when it was too late for anybody to transfer out if they didnt want to play for him. He had also played a large part in recruiting the team he took over. They were expected to compete for an NCAA berth that season. The two situations arent even remotely similar

vCash
    I've seen a lot of bad posts in my days, but this is right at the top. You do realize that 4 of these 5 were signed by Stansbury, right? Ray, had to clean up Stansbury's shitstorm.

I rarely post, but the Stansbury apologists represent so much of what holds MSU back. I'm guessing you wanted Templeton to stay on a couple of more years and Raffo to be our baseball coach.

Guys, get over it. Stansbury had ample time to get program to where it needs to be and he failed. Simple as that. You hire/retain coaches based on future projections, not past performance. Stansbury had the program trending downward and it was time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post

Shaun Smith
    Kristers Zeidaks

Wendell Lewis
    Jalen Steele